Perfect Union banner

Need help with scopes.

2K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  dh1633pm 
#1 ·
Shopping for a scope to put on a tactical mini 14. Gun will be used for target shooting, possibly hunting (small game/varmit to deer), and SHTF situations. I've done a little homework on scopes and understand the basics, but that doesn't really tell me what I need. So, I have a few questions.

I live in the KY hills, most ranges are under 200 yards, but I'd like a scope that would be at least decent for target shooting up to 250 yards. What power(s) would work well for me?

I'd like to keep the scope small and close to the barrel, but I'm still unsure how big I should go. I'm guessing 50 mm would be overkill and too big, and I'm guessing 20 mm would be too small. What's a good range of sizes that I should be looking at?

As far as eye relief, I'll have a 6 position adjustable stock on the rifle, so is this really a big deal when shopping for a scope? If so what's a good range of eye reliefs to look at?

Since I'm not a sniper, would I really benefit from tactical knobs for adjusting the elevation and windage, or would the typical screwdriver/coin adjustments suit me well?

Adjustment ranges, in the little bit of shopping I've done, I've seen 52 to 80 MOA. What's sufficient for this?

What else should I be paying close attention to when shopping for a scope?

I'm a poor college student who is using my tax refund to pay for all the accessories for my rifle. I'm not a sniper, SWAT team officer, or trying to kill a prairie dog at 400 yards. Though I may have to deal with a coyote in low light at 100 yards. Any suggestions on specific scopes would be greatly appreciated.

See less See more
#6 ·
Just got back from the store. Looked at alot of scopes including the:
Leopold VX2
Redfield Revolution
Weaver Grand Slam
Vortex Diamondback
and a few others.

Out of all the ones I looked at and compared, the Leopold had the clearest optics. A VERY close second was the Vortex Diamondback. I ended getting the Vortex because it was $130 cheaper. ($199 vs $329) I tried very hard to sell myself on the Leopold, but I just couldn't justify the 60% higher price when they were THAT close in clarity.

All the scopes I looked at were 3-9x40 or very close. After getting home and doing a little more research I found out something very interesting about the Vortex. While almost every other 3-9x40 scope has a field of view of 33ft @ 100 yards (give or take 1 ft) the Vortex has a field of view of 44.6 ft @ 100 yards!

#10 ·
I recently picked up one of the 3-9x40 Leupold Mark AR Mod 1 optics ($290) with the mil dot reticle; like stated above it is so clear it isnt funny, got it on my ASI Mini 14 and man does it look sharp!! Havent had the chance to get to the range with it yet but plan to soon, I also acquired an Aimpoint Comp M2 whlie on deployment...now if I can just run down a 30mm ring for it. Got my Leupold from Duck Creek Armory, they have a 6mo layaway plan that starts with $50 down and pay as you like, shipping was Fast after payoff too.

For a better price I have heard great things about the Bushnell Bone Collector and Nikon Pro Staff glass as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.