Perfect Union banner

Trying to decide between Leupold and Nikon

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  PigBat 
#1 ·
Recently traded for a Ruger M77 MKII VT in 223 caliber. This rifles primary use will be target shooting at 300 yards max. Right now I have a Nikon Prostaff 3X9 on it that I had been using on a 10/22 that I am fixing to do a build on. With Fiocchi 223 55gr FMJ I can get 3 shot groups about the size of a dime at 100 yards using a Bulls bag front rest. I am trying to decide between a Nikon M223 4X16 or a Leupold Mark AR 6X18 to put on this rifle. I currently have a Nikon M223 2X8 on My Loki AR and like it quite a bit but it just doesn't give my 58 year old eyes enough magnification at 300 yards. The Nikon has side focus as opposed to objective focus on the Leupold but that is not a big deal to me. I am more concerned with which scope has the clearer glass. I have zero experience with Leupolds and have no access to the Mark AR to check it out. All I have ever owned is Nikons. Any opinions would be appreciated.

#3 ·
Nikon glass is very good, comparable to Leupold in most instances.

I do not believe the Nikons are as durable though and if you ever need service, Leupold is head and shoulders above Nikon.

I'm a long time Nikon camera equipment user and own both Leupold and Nikon scopes. I'd choose the Leupold for this particular application.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.