Perfect Union banner

Red Dots and astigmatisms

2K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  woodstock 
#1 ·
Greetings,

Eyes over fifty here, astigmatism in the right (shooting) eye. I have prescription glasses but wear them only for close up work and reading. I shoot defence handguns fine without the glasses.

My .45s and defence shotgun are equipped with XS 24/7 Big Dot tritiums for nocturnal response. I can see those well enough to respond without having to first put on eyeglasses.

I'm considering a red dot optic for a Mini-14 project, looking at the Aimpoint 9000sc and the EOTech 512 products. Unfortunately, I do not have local access to either for perusal.

My concern with the red dot sights is regarding my astigmatic shooting eye. Reviews indicate this type of sight is unfriendly to such uncorrected vision in that the sighting dot tends to be rather thus hindering the sight's efficacy.

I'd be most interested in hearing from those whom use red dot sights with similar vision issues. I'm also curious if the mounting position, forward scout style or traditional scope position, has a noticeable effect in such a scenario.

Thanks for any input you might be able to provide.

See less See more
#2 ·
Trijicon Accu Point 1-4x24 Riflescope FREE S&H TR24-3G, TR24G, TR24R, TR24, TR24-3. Trijicon AccuPoint Rifle Scopes, Trijicon Rifle Scopes.

I had a Eotech and did not like it. They have a starburst effect around dot that I found distracting. I went with a 1-4 Trijigicon Acupoint and LOVE IT. Expensive but well worth it. Easy to see and has variety of configurations available. I went with green triangle on post. I had it on my AR and now it is on my mini.

https://www.trijicon.com/na_en/products/product3b.php?pid=TR24

Attachments

#4 ·
I had a Eotech and did not like it. They have a starburst effect around dot that I found distracting. I went with a 1-4 Trijigicon Acupoint and LOVE IT. Expensive but well worth it. Easy to see and has variety of configurations available. I went with green triangle on post. I had it on my AR and now it is on my mini.
I didn't get along with the Eotech either for the reasons you mentioned. Nice looking rig you have there. I'll have to look into the Trijicon line and may have to pony up. Thanks for the post.

If you're in the Denver area and want to check out the Trijicon 1x24 reflex I have on my Mini you're welcome to.
A generous offer, that would be most useful. I do get to Denver 2 or 3 times annually and may well take you up on this. Thanks you.

#5 ·
I have far worse eyesight than the OP I went with a Leupold 1X Prismatic illuminated circle dot reticle scope they use a fairly long lasting 3 volt 1/3 N lithium battery.

It is a great piece of equipment only issue I have with it are the availability of the batteries I looked everywhere for them finally had to order them in from an on line company.

#7 ·
Interesting info and that's an optic I can look at locally, too. Thanks.

I have a similar issue. You might want to consider a low power 'scope with an adjustable ocular lens or a medum power variable scope with an adjustable focus.
I have a Redfield 2-7 that works quite nicely and I use it for ammo testing and load development.

I'm currently shooting it with irons only and having a good time at 100 or less.

#9 ·
I have been using a 2-7X Redfield Evolution for a couple of years now on my 22" barreld T/C Contender carbine in 45-70 I have had zero issues of any kind with it.

I am normally a Leupold guy but got a good deal on it so couldn't pass it up.

Actually I liked the scope enough to buy a second Redfield Evolution 4-12X have this one mounted on my 21" T/C Contender carbine barrel in 223 I've been deer hunting since I bought this scope so haven't wrung it out much yet.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.