Perfect Union banner

need scope

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  woodstock 
#1 ·
Looking for a decent scope for my cz carbine.It needs to be short enough so I don't have to remove the cz's rear sight in order for the scope to fit.This is my 100 yard rifle for coyotes and paper punching.Forgot to mention its in 7.62x39.I'd like to set it up with quick release mounts so the scope could be taken off to use iron sights also.Any suggestions?

#2 · (Edited)
For 100yd use, you probably don't need anything over 4x. If you get good glass, you can go with a straight tube scope, so the front end will probably clear your rear sight: no need to be restricted to a short scope.
In any case, you are restricted as to how low you can go by the bolt lift: CZ only makes high rings because anything lower is likely to have the bolt handle (or your fingers) smack into the ocular bell. Note that CZ's "medium" height rings (0.55") are as high or higher than everyone else's "high" rings.
Find - MidwayUSA
The Burris rings are the best bet to modify into QD.

You can have the bolt handle modified to allow lower scope mounting. James Calhoon does an exchange for $44:
James Calhoon Fine Shootin' Bullets Main Page

QD rings in any height for the CZ 527 (16mm dovetail) are not real easy to come by. Perhaps not as elegant as you might like, but very practical, is to get one of the 16mm dovetail to Weaver adapter rails, and use any of the hundreds of QD Weaver rings. CZ-USA sells one on their website. Another Example:
16 mm Dovetail to Weaver Rail Top Mount Adapter for CZ rifles

The added advantage to that setup is that you can add one of NEGC or XS Sights' low profile backup Weaver aperture sights to the back end of the rail, giving you both a longer sight radius and an aperture rear sight, instead of the factory open sight. Better iron sights, no more concerns about scope interfering with rear sight.

XS Sight Systems - Sights

Some good glass:
FX-II Ultralight Rifle Scope 2.5x 20mm Wide Duplex Reticle Matte
Classic V-Series Rifle Scope 1-3x 20mm Dual-X Reticle Matte
VX-I Rifle Scope 2-7x 33mm Duplex Reticle Matte

The Burris 3x prismatic is really short, but it's kinda "tactical". It will require Weaver or Picatinny bases, though:
AR-332 3x 32mm Prism Sight Ballistic CQ Reticle Matte

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.