Perfect Union banner

1-4x Scope?

8K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  Super55 
#1 ·
I'll be getting a .223 soon (still debating which) but I'm hoping to put something around a 1-4x scope on it. Any recommendations for a quality/well built 1-4x that's lightweight, has good low light visibility, and under $300? So far here's what I've come across:

Leupold VX-I or II 1-4x (other than price what's the difference ?)
Nikon Monarch African 1-4x20mm
Nikon 1.65-5x36 BTR
Weaver Grandslam 1.5-5x32

Are there any quality illuminated reticles for under $300?

#3 ·
Good low light visibility comes from good glass. Any of those you listed are good glass. The difference in Leupold VX-1 v. VX-2 is basically in higher-quality, more durable and precise guts. AFAIK, the glass is the same, but I could be wrong on that.
Leupold recently juggled and expanded their product line, part of which was introducing the Rifleman series on the low end. My understanding (again, possibly wrong) is that the Rifleman scopes are basically the old VX-1, the new VX-1 is basically the old VX-2, and the new VX-2 is basically the old VX-3.
I've got Leupold scopes in Rifleman, VX-1, VX-2, VX-3 and Mark 4 flavors, price ranging from $100 to $1000. There's an obvious difference between the $100 Rifleman and the $1000 Mark 4, but I really can't tell any difference between any two neighboring grade scopes.

Weaver makes a nice lightweight straight-tube 1-4x that goes well with a lightweight AR-15 or bolt rifle like the little CZs. Primary Arms makes a 30mm 1-4x straight tube with illuminated reticle for about $200. My son has one on his AR and loves it.

#4 ·
Just recieved my second of the Leupold 1x4 Pig Plex scopes. These are not the 30 mm fire dot but a 1x4x20 1inch tube with a ballistic recticle. Found them at Midwayusa.com for $229.00. I love this optic so much after I recieved the first one I orderd another, putting them on my AR and my Mini-14. Brillant optics and very light weight. Taking off my Weaver and Nikon, will post some pics when I get it sighted in.

#5 ·
I bought a Bushnell Trophy XLT 1-4x24 with 30mm tube and illuminated dot for my Mini-14, I am really impressed with this scope (all my other scopes are Nikon Monarchs or Leupold) I was also looking at the Weaver Grandslam (real good write ups) went with the Bushnell mainly for the cost (it was on sale REAL cheap) but after mounting it..am glad I got it!

#6 ·
I have the old Trophy (nonXLT) 1x4x24 30mm tube and other than the size, especially the eyepiece I have no complaints. Mine is on a Mossberg 20 ga. so it really doesn't look that huge. Just ordered but have not received a Leopold Mark AR 1.5x4x24 with a 1 inch tube to go in Warne Q.D. rings on a 580 tactical. I gave a little as far as the reticle I wanted and it's not lit. Really wanted to keep the size down on the little Ruger.

#7 ·
1-4 Hog Scope

Hey Bquick,

How is the eye relief on that 1-4 VX-Hog? What is the magnification like on
1x? I'm thinking about putting one on a 10/22 for my boys and I want something with good eye relief and that is easy to aquire a sight picture on low power until they learn how to use a scope. Your input would be appreciated.

#8 ·
Hey Bquick,

How is the eye relief on that 1-4 VX-Hog? What is the magnification like on
1x? I'm thinking about putting one on a 10/22 for my boys and I want something with good eye relief and that is easy to aquire a sight picture on low power until they learn how to use a scope. Your input would be appreciated.
Eye relief is close to 4 inches and a good field of view on 1x, if you boys are first time shooters with optics, you'll have to explain the recticle to them. it might be a little confusing with the holdovers in the plex. They shouldn't have any problems with quick target acquisition. Enjoy!

#9 ·
Bquick,
Thanks for the info. From the info I can find on the internet, it looks like it has a different reticle than the VX-R illuminated scope? Does the VX-1 Hog scope have the heavy duplex german #4 reticle like the VX-R? And last question, how close to a true 1x is it? I'm considering a Weaver Classic V3 1-3x which I'm told is almost like looking through an unmagnified red dot sight at 1x, which is what I want for teaching my boys how to use a scope without the hassle of trying to find the sight picture at 1x. Again, thanks a lot for the info. I think this could be a great scope and you are the only person in a forum I've found that has any first hand experience.

#11 ·
I forgot to mention the light gathering must be close VX-R glass, much brighter than the Nikon that I had on the rifle. I was pleased with low light capability. The only negative I can say is the turets seemed not to move the point of impact when I sighted the rifle in, but having gone back to the range a couple times since and they seem to be positive now. I'm not sure if everything was seated good in the scope, but all is well now and have put several hundred rounds down range with no problems.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.