Perfect Union banner

I like Russian glass!!

2K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  wolfspotter 
#1 ·
I prefer Eastern European and Russian optics over Any far eastern optics including rescent Japanese optics I have gotten.I still love US made optics,but for the money its hard to beat Russian military optics.IMO

#4 ·
I really think the best place to start is the main USA supplier,Kalinka optics,in Fla. carries almost all the Russian and Eastern european optics factories.Remember,alot of these factories were setup by Germany before WW2,and alot after by East Germany.The glass from most is very,very good.VOMZ,Metropa,POMZ and alot more factories.I am not related to anyone at Kalinka bye the way!!

#5 ·
I have a TAIGA Russian scope with illuminated chevron reticle from 12 years ago. Strong, but brass tube is heavy. That's before the current illuminated reticle craze. Was considered a tactical scope back then. Illuminated for night work. Nice scope. I'll have to look into others :D

#7 ·
Russian LR Twilight glass vs Swift SRP or Hawke Sidewinder 30

I am looking into Value Quality glass for 2 different war guns that I will use for hunting. I usually at dawn and dusk so it is important to me that they be good in that low light.

I have heard that the Swift SRP is a good value scope that works in low light, and that the Hawke Sidewinder 30 Tactical is a good value long range scope.

Any comments, input, or recommendations are appreciated including alternatives.

#8 ·
I tried some Kalinka binoculars and like the size and weight of the 7x35 and do think the glass was pretty good. The adjustments were awful. The eye cups are not adjustable and tend to come out. Still have them but they feel cheap. Lousy strap. Bad design on the lens caps. Just a sample of one. One the other hand a 6.5x32 Leupold Yosemites for about $90 are infinitely superior. The 7x35 Nikon Actions are a bit bulkier but think would make most people happier with a binocular. As for an inexpensive hunting scope a simple Weaver K6 are small, lightweight, good eye relief, fully multicoated (one of the most improtant things) with good solid click adjustments that track perfectly. They are very good in low light, better than others I had that cost a lot more. A K4 might be fine too but I prefer the K6 both for aobut $120. About the best deal I know of.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.