Perfect Union banner

Aimpoint Replica

9K views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  raidisk805 
#1 ·
Hello... Today i just received my Aimpoint clone. Does anyone have any feedback about one of these? I understand that this red dot IS AN AIMPOINT COPY, CLONE, REPLICA,FAKE...etc. So i know that it should be "Wrong" to purchase a copy, but, i wanted to see what kind of "Aimpoint" I could get for 65 dollars. I did the right thing and bought an original compm2 two years ago. And that thing has gone through hell and back atop my AR. Hopefully soon Ill be able to get out to the range in Ojai/Maricopa to do a good field test and review on this replica. So in the meantime, please post your comments on this sight if you have had any experience with them. thanks

#3 ·
From another post I made:

I have a Vortex Strikefire sitting on my AR in 6.8. Took a few more rounds than I would have liked to get it zeroed, but once I did, it seems solid, and holds zero pretty well. It's got a 4 MOA dot, and I was pretty happy holding a 4-6 inch group at 100 yards at dusk on a windy day. Only downside to it is the power button location...it can be turned on while the rifle and scope are being stored/carried in a soft case. Asides from that, the sight picture is pretty good, although it narrows down quite bit using the included 2x magnifier.

#5 · (Edited)
Yeah I read a couple reviews on the primaryarms aimpoint replicas and I've only heard good things about them. At first, i was considering the vortex strikefire. A buddy of mine has one that he's real happy with. I know my (real) compm2 is supposed to be indestructable, waterproof,etc... But the whole point of buying a replica was to see what kind a red dot i could get for under 100 dollars. The vortex was just over the budget for this one. I'm headed to the range right now to see how it does holding zero. I'll keep you guys posted.

#6 ·
Range Test

Well...Finally got around to the range to do the zero test. Here's a couple pics at the range. After about 10 rounds, i got it sighted in At 17 yards the sight held its zero through about 80 rounds of 5.56mm. I know, 80 rounds is not that many shots to fully evaluate the zero holding potential of this sight. I also cranked the elevation and windage adjustment knobs a whole turn in each direction several times. After I reversed the knobs back to the original position, the sight still held its true initial zero. ( By the way my buddy in the picture is not fat, but "fluffy".) He did most of the shooting that day...

Attachments

#7 ·
OK... So in the first picture we have an original Aimpoint Compm2 sight with the factory co-witness mount. Below it is the Aimpoint replica without the LaRue quick detach mount. The second photo shows the clarity of the optic with the dot of the original compm2. Picture three shows the red dot through the replica sight. Then in picture four we have two sights ready for the test sitting on the hood of my car.

Attachments

#8 ·
Let the rain test begin...

Here's the Compm2 sitting on the pavement outside my condo out in the rain tonight in the first pic. My buddy and I moved the sight a couple times to different spots where the rain was running off the garage door. The second pic shows the replica sight sitting in the stream of water that runs into the gutter. Both sights sat in direct contact with the running water for about 10 minutes. The replica sat in the water with and without the flip caps on. In picture three, both sights are sitting on the hood after the first dunking. We repeated this test a couple of times for a total of 25 minutes. You can see both sights got pretty wet. Picture four shows both sights in the rain. Its raining pretty hard tonight too. Just about all the streets in my neighborhood are flooded. The entire time during the testing, we checked to make sure both sights were still on and fully functional and that the brightness of the dot didn't dim any. Both performed flawlessly in the rain, and both never fogged up the entire time.

Attachments

#9 · (Edited)
Arctic Recon

Without drying any of the sights I took em upstairs to the kitchen. The first pic shows the replica sitting in the freezer. The whole point of this test is to see how the sight will work in cold weather. My newer freezer was turned all the way down in temperature the night before so it was maxed out for the test. I wish i had a thermometer to give exact readings. The second pic shows the clarity through the tube after all the dunkings outside. Still just as clear as before we started the test. The third pic shows the two after about 25 minutes or so in the freezer together. All the water on or around the sight froze really quick. The last picture shows the frozen Compm2. After we pulled the sights out we checked to see if both were working properly. Both were still on and just as bright as before. BUT... When my buddy Ozzy went to turn the Compm2 off... It didnt turn off. He twisted the brightness control back and fourth with no response. I HAD NO PROBLEM WITH THE AIMPOINT REPLICA. Before the test I checked both sights to make sure that the windage, elevation, and battery caps were tight. After both sat out of the freezer for awhile I noticed that there was a good amount of water running from the real Aimpoint m2 as it defrosted.

Conclusion of the test:

Aimpoint Replica: The replica sight that I bought for this test was purchased from a Hong Kong direct supplier. The total cost of the sight with the LaRue tactical qd mount was 65 dollars shipped. It took about 7 days in transit to my door. The sight performed extremely well compared to the aimpoint. I was pretty surprised that the replica didnt fog up after the initial rain and dunking test. After the freezer test, I was surprised that there was no run off of water from the cracks and crevices. This indicates that all the seals on the sight performed like they should and held all the water out. To be honest I didnt expect the sight would perform like it did. This sight has proved it self to hold up to normal conditions I might find when Im out in the woods, wilderness, or cold. My testing will continue on this forum as I remount it and take it out to the wilderness in Maricopa when I get some more cash to order ammo. Only time will tell. Overall this sight is an extremely good value for an inexpensive Aimpoint alternative. And it looks pretty cool too.

Aimpoint Compm2 (original factory): Well the sight performed pretty well up until the arctic recon test. For some reason there had to have been water a intrusion. I have never tested the aimpoint like this before. I just assumed that it would take anything I threw at it. Its been beat down on before atop a couple of different rifles and never missed a beat. I think that some water might have leaked into the battery compartment passed the switch and froze the contacts keeping the sight on even though we switched it off. After the sight defrosted, the switch went back to normal and allowed me to turn it off. This test was given spur of the moment tonight. I know there is a lot of variables that could have played on the testing in the rain and in the gutter like velocity of the water, temperature, condition of the seals etc... but it shouldnt have had any problems according to Aimpoints specs for a couple year old sight.Im going to email Aimpoint about the issue and see what theyll say. This sights pricey tag at around 350-400 dollars is keeping me from buying another. The Aimpoint is still a proven optic that soldiers depend on everyday.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.