Perfect Union banner

ADCO Red Dots Sights

8K views 2 replies 1 participant last post by  X Man 
#1 ·
Has anyone bought and use a red dot sight from ADCO?

I looked and looked, hoping to located a mid priced red dot. I will be mounting the red dot onto my Mini 14 ranch rifle, and wanted to have a dot size of 2 MOA or smaller.

What I found was a ADCO Alpha, 1" tube, with a 1.5 MOA dot. So, I ordered one from Midway USA, and it arrived today. However, while I waited for it to arrive I found several other references to this unit being used for .22 rimfire and paintball applications. <_< Ugh. Now I wonder if I made a good choice. If I mount the unit I can't return it.

So, I wanted to ask if there are others who have a report on this unit, and my intended application. You know, the usual questions; will it withstand the recoil of a Mini, how well does it work, ease of picking up a target, etc. I've sent an inquiry to ADCO, asking for their opinion, but haven't gotten a reply yet.

I can always move this unit to my 10-22, but I really want to get the Mini set up for summer tactical shoots.

#2 ·
Well, the ADCO Alpha red dot sight arrived on Monday. I examined it without mounting it on to the rifle.

The dot was 1 MOA, with adjustable brightness. The quality of the optical glass was OK, but not super. The 1" tube seemed to limit the field of view, but is similar to how a scope is.

I decided that that it was too limited to use as a tactical sight. Would be alright if it were to be used for target or hunting purposes. So, I returned it to Midway, and exchanged it for another item.

I ordered an ADCO Mirage Solo holographic sight. It costs more, but it is recommended by several AR owners. With a 33mm lens it should allow for quick sight picture pick-up. Has four different dot patterns to choose from. Will be here in several days. The rail to mount it on will be in next week. It's a GG&G rail for the Ranch rifle.

The Solo is also supposed to allow co-witness with the iron sights as well, a useful plus.

I'll provide a report when the sight is installed and tried at the range.

#3 · (Edited)
I've received the ADCO Solo holographic rifle sight. It's a good looking unit, solid, made of aluminum. Overall, I'm pleased with it in general. Cost $172.00 delivered, from Midway USA, item #357217.

I have it mounted onto a GG&G Picatinny 1913 Mil-Std rail, on my 188 series Mini 14 Ranch rifle. Rail and sight mounted easy enough, and fit tight.

Took it out to the range and set up for 50 yards. Got it sighted in, then did the preliminary testing. The adjustments are readily made, and have a locking set screw to keep them from moving. The sight is positioned so that the viewing "screen" is just above the throat of the barrel. It could be moved further forward, if desired.

I tried two different dot patterns, the tee, and the 3 MOA dot. Both seemed to at the same POA/POI when I changed from one to the other.

The dot & patterns are clear and consistent. There is no flaring of the image. It would take a purchase of a high price unit (at another $250-300) to get a better dot image. And what this unit offers is quite good for my type of shooting.

I was shooting from a bench which is under a roof, at the middle of the day while there was full sun. The dots should be bright enough under most conditions.

I was using two different types of targets. The E2 USMC silhouette was scaled to be suited for the 50 yard range. Target provided by Molon at AR15.com. Center circle measured 2-7/8" kill zone.
My best group, using 5 round groups, were all in the circle with a 2.045" spread. I used 77gr OTM Sierra handloads, my version of the MK262 round. I'm getting set up to shoot at tactical type range challenges, so this is a good start.

One comment is that the sight sits a bit high on the GG&G rail. At the range I did not have a cheek riser, but still was able to get a cheek weld on my Houge stock. Back at home I have installed a Blackhawk cheek riser, which should help in future outings. The optimal set up may be to use a Ultimak style scout rail. It would allow the sight to sit about 5/8" lower, and give a better cheek weld.

There were absolutely no issues with cartridge ejection with the GG&G rail. and this rail mounts very solid.

I will be putting this sight through field trials and then tactical shoots. It looks like it will do well. And I may choose to buy a second unit for another tactical rifle. This sight, although is a China product, is much better that the budget units I've read about.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.