Perfect Union banner

Mini Hard On Scope ?

4K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  joehorner 
#1 ·
I have heard that a Mini-14 can be hard on an inferior scope. Is there any truth to this ? And if so, then what would most of oyu call an "inferior scope" ? I am looking at a Simmons 2.5 X 32 fixed scope.

#2 ·
Yes, they typically are. The proper fix is to install gas port reducing bushings. They reduce the amount of gas used to cycle the action, and therefore the slamming back and forth, which is what breaks cheap scopes.
The real culprit is inertia: the scope tube wants to recoil with the rifle, while the scope's guts want to remain stationary. Given equal quality, a light, small-objective, fixed-power scope with its lower inertia and fewer moving parts will hold up to recoil better than a big, long heavy variable with a big objective and more internal moving parts.
I had a Simmons 2.5 x 20 on a Mini for a few years without problems, but it's a smaller scope than the 4 x 32. If you're extremely cash-restricted, you might want to try that. I'd seriously look at the Leupold Rifleman, Weaver K-series and Nikon ProStaff lines, however. A fixed 4x can be had for a little over $100. Conceptually, cheap (not necessarily inexpensive) optics don't really make sense: one good-quality scope costs less than 2 cheap ones.
If good glass is beyond your current budget, I'd stick with the factory aperture sights until I saved up enough. Going back to an iron-sighted Mini reminds you of just how much fun and useful a light, handy, well-balanced rifle can be. Since most Mini-14s are not tack-drivers in the accuracy department, a scope (especially a big, high-power one) doesn't really add that much, and it upsets the balance of the rifle, IMO. One of my Mini-14s is set up with a Williams aperture sight for just that reason. I grab it more often than the scoped one.

#3 ·
I just returned a $50 Bushnell I bought on Ebay because it didn't last out the first trip to the range. I sighted it in and shot 2 or 3 good groups and then it shot a pattern like a shotgun with buckshot, not good. I'm going to get a better scope next time, maybe a better Bushnell or a Nikon.

#4 ·
Well, I bought the little scope I was looking at. It is a Simmons fixed 2.5x20 in a straight tube configuration. I only paid $30.00 for it at a pawn shop, so I won't feel like I really lost anything if it dosen't hold zero. It has a model number on the side, #21005, if anyone knows anything about this model, please let me know.

#6 ·
Well, I just got my rings from Ruger and went ahead and mounted the scope. I am going to give it a try just to see how well it does. I like the irons fine, and shoot extremely well with those, but I wanted to try out the scope to see if it will perform. The only thing I do not like is the scope being so high off the bbl. With the irons I get a good cheek weld, and with the scope I am having to pull my cheek off the stock a little. Just feels a little strange.

#7 ·
I know what you mean about the scope being too high. (Don't you just hate it when that happens.)

If the obj bell is not too big and hitting, you can trade rings with Ruger for shorter ones.......or ck this out:

http://www.beartooth-products.com/shop/comb-raising-kits/comb-raising-kit-black.html

I put a holosight on one mini and had to raise the comb a bit because of the mounting.
The beartooth kit shown above comes with different thickness pads, so you can find the one you like.

After the install, just cover the ends with black electical tape, makes for a nice slick surface.

#8 ·
Stright tube scope, so there is no objective bell. But the eye piece is just barely clearing my peep sight, so I really can't lower it any without removing my peep. I am going to keep the peep in place in the event I don't like the scope. I may check out a cheek piece though. Thanks for the heads up !

#9 ·
scope abuse

Get yourself some Wilson 1911 blue buffers. They come in a six pack. They will absorb a lot of the metal to metal bang that occurs. Another one of the cheap mods that work well. Once installed you would think they were made for the mini......................Joe

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.