Perfect Union banner

Another Mini 14 scope question...

3K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  X Man 
#1 · (Edited)
I have shot Mini's in the past but the new stainless 580 series I have is the first I've owned and I want to get a good scope for it. I'm pretty much set on a Leupold. question is which one? For vanities sake I would like a silver finish to match the stainless rifle.

I would ideally like a 4-12X40 for target use at 50-100 yards and the occasional plinking session. The VXI is not available in that power in silver leaving the VXII which is for a whopping $449 which is over my Price range.

The VXI and VXII 3-9X40 are both available in silver for $230 and $330 respectively but is there really a $100 price value difference in these scopes? As I understand it the VXII has a nitrogen charge in it and special lens coating but I can't see the value in these as the rifle will be used only for target and plinking. It will never see hunting or inclement weather.

Also I hear there are sources for used Leupold scopes. Anybody have any sources to recommend besides ebay?

Advice please....

:confused:

See less See more
#2 ·
I have shot Mini's in the past but the new stainless 580 series I have is the first I've owned and I want to get a good scope for it. I'm pretty much set on a Leupold. question is which one? For vanities sake I would like a silver finish to match the stainless rifle.

I would ideally like a 4-12X40 for target use at 50-100 yards and the occasional plinking session. The VXI is not available in that power in silver leaving the VXII which is for a whopping $449 which is over my Price range.

The VXI and VXII 3-9X40 are both available in silver for $230 and $330 respectively but is there really a $100 price value difference in these scopes? As I understand it the VXII has a nitrogen charge in it and special lens coating but I can't see the value in these as the rifle will be used only for target and plinking. It will never see hunting or inclement weather.

Also I hear there are sources for used Leupold scopes. Anybody have any sources to recommend besides ebay?

Advice please....

:confused:
If you're only going to be shooting such a short distance, a 3-9 should be plenty. I've just got an old Bushnell 3-9 on mine, and don't need to see the whiskers on a 'yote to knock it down at 225 yards...

Buy what you can afford, you can always put it on a tack-driver later.

#3 · (Edited)
I just got a reply from Leupold Tech Svc. I asked for their recomendation For a scope for my NRA, and inquired about "Mini scope damage" here is their reply.
"Dear Mr. ,

All of our scopes are built to the same recoil tollerance levels.

For the Mini-14 NRA model if you are looking for an ecnomy scope I recomend the
VX-I 2-7 X 33mm sope with Duplex reticle and Matte finish. It sells for a very
reasonable price at Leupold dealers, it is tough, has 1/4 MOA adjustment
graduations and fully multicoated lenses.

The size of and proportion this scope balances well with the Mini-14. If you
feel you must have 9X consider one of our VX-I 3-9X40mm scopes. The VX-I is no
tougher than the Rifleman, but with finer adjustments and better lens coatings
the slight increase in price is worth it.

In any case our scopes have a full lifetime warranty.

Thank you.

Charlie Sunderlin
Support CallID: %#%7868088b-7db3-4bdd-93d8-5a2a27ef2e70%#%
Glen
Cabelas Rifleman VX-I 2-7 X 33mm $189.99
VX-I 3-9X40mm $249.99

#7 ·
While crusing the scope threads I came across this one and thought I might check out other's experience with scopes on their mini's.

I agree with the Leupold tech a few posts up. He recommended the VX1 2-7x33.
I have this scope on one of my mini's and it seems to fit the rifle great.
The scope is light and its size does not over-power the mini platform.
The max 7 power is all I need for the cal and on 4 power get plenty of light for dusk and dawn shots.

Anyone else have experience with other scopes in this (10oz) weight range?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.