Perfect Union banner

Bushnell red dot ?'s

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  claydoctor 
#1 · (Edited)
I removed my scope and I'm currently using my mini with iron sights. All the range time in the military just got me so damn good at the irons that I eventually decided the scope wasn't worth the extra weight and slower target acquisition for the distance I shoot it at.

But... I do have my eye on a non-magnifying red dot.
This one to be exact
http://www.bushnell.com/general/riflescopes_trophy_73-0132a.cfm

Question is, do I absolutely have to buy a weaver rail to use this thing, or are 30mm Ruger rings an option? Anyone done this?

#4 · (Edited)
I just bought the slightly less expensive Bushnell Model 73-0134. Mine has a smaller objective, 28 vs 32 on this scope. Mine and presumably this one comes with 30mm rings. I have mine mounted on a Weigand rail but find it too high without some sort of cheekpiece. In an attempt to lower it without interfering with the iron sights, I plan to try either Ruger 30mm rings or those from www.combathunting.com. They feature rings that lock on to the Ruger just like the factory rings but are considerably cheaper. I'm stumped however on whether or not to get the standard rings they sell or the "low profile" rings. They give height measurements for the rings but the numbers are confusing. If you go by the heights given, the low profile are half as tall as the standard and they don't look that much smaller in the photos. How do they measure them, to the center of the ring or the top of the ring. Any advice out there. A nice feature of the combathunting rings is that they have removeable inserts that allow them to be used with either 1in. or 30mm scopes. From what I have seen, however, 30mm is the only way to go.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.