Perfect Union banner

Am I crazy? (another scope advice thread)

2K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  p35bhp55 
#1 ·
Am I crazy or am I the only person who DOESN'T want a variable power scope? Good lord. I've only owned a few scopes in my life; bsa, nikko, nikon prostaff, so my knowledge level is on the low side, but what I do know coming from a photography background is that prime (fixed) optics of the same price range are ALWAYS better than variable power (zoom) optics.

What I'd like to find is a nice fixed power scope, middle of the road pricing (250$) that I can use on my 10/22 that will be used almost exclusively for 50-100 yard bench rest shooting. I'm really not sure what power scope is appropriate for that, on one hand, it's only 50-100 yards so the power doesn't need to be terribly high, on the other, it's bench-rested so however high it is, it's controllable.

On the topic of parallax, I have my nikon prostaff that's fixed for 50yards, what effect does that have at 100 yards?

So to sum:
1. scope should be fixed power
2. should cost up to appx 250$
3. parallax appropriate for 50 (100?) yards
4. what are the opinions of power level for a scope like this?

Thanks very much for your input, I was VERY happy to find this forum. Happy shooting!

--deek

See less See more
#4 · (Edited)
By the time I could afford a good fixed scope they were hard to find, (other than target types) and couldn't wait to get scopes loaded with features anyway. In the price range you describe it seems like they would be good enough any loss due to the variable feature would be hard to find without instruments.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/index2i.scopes_optics.htm

The articles on this page have changed my purchases lately, have embraced the 40 to 42mm objective with good results, but instead of fixed powers went with the 1.5x6x40s for my low end, power wise. Also since the range finding reticles are set for high powers on most scopes I'm learning there is a good reason to keep that top number to 10 or less whenever possible.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.