Perfect Union banner

Beginner looking for advice

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  AKA_Caleb 
#1 ·
I'm currently researching putting together an accurate beginner bench rifle/sniper rifle<_<(I don't like using that term, makes me feel like a poser, but it is what it is)that also remains practical. I don't really know a whole lot about accurate paper punching, I would like to learn, therefore am only in need of equipment that will allow me to learn and grow, but not necessarily win me any competitions. If I can eventually get to shooting 1MOA at 600 yards, I'd be happy. Basically I want a scope/rings/base with all the appropriate bells and whistles, that I can learn on, and won't completely obliterate my wallet. I plan on putting it on possibly a left handed 700 SPS Varmint. Thanks.

#2 ·
Oh, I've also been told something like you should spend as much on the optic as the rifle... so as long as a I stay in or around the 600 dollar range, it wouldn't be considered obliterating my wallet. I also want to possible moved up to a better stock once my skill permits.

#3 ·
When it comes to scopes I have learned there is no such thing as a good one. I have had/shot with Bushnell, Leupold, Simmons, Redfield, NCstar, Wal Mart no-name and Tasco. Every one had some problem all the way from a Bushnell and Tasco that wouldn't keep a zero at all to a couple Leupolds that would zero at 9X then when at 3x was 1" low and 1" left then rezero at 3x, crank up to 9X and was 1" high and 1" right. The $19 NCstar on my .22 is fixed 4x and it's been good, the $100 Simmons on a .300 has been good and the $59 Wal Mart special has been good, but I'm not holding my breath. I refuse to drop $500+ on any scope. Get what you want with a GOOD warranty and when (not if) it fails ship it in for repair/replacement.

#4 ·
i've had nothing but excellent performance from my Leupolds. there are other great brands but i see no reason to change. plus it doesn't matter if you are the original owner or the 50th person to own the scope, the warranty is still honored. i've never needed it personally.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.