Perfect Union banner

How to use MOA?

17K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  Ridge Runner 
#1 ·
Hi. I know what MOA is its 1.046 inch @ 100 yds and my 2 Leupold scopes say 1/4 MOA @ 100 yds. Well I pretend that its just 1/4 inch at 100 yds since its so close, but when I make the adjustments on my scope it moves it way further than it should have and sometimes i feel like if i only move it 1/2 the needed distance that that is better tan sometimes moving it what it logically would need to be moved. Which this proves to be very frustrating sometimes and I know it isnt a problem with my scope since Leupold vx-III scopes are very good quality. I want to know why and how on these long range distance shooting videos they say that they are aiming 23 MOA high = 531 inches??? that doesnt add up. I do a bit of long range shooting but I do it what seems like to me the simplest way is just knowing how my gun shoots at 100 or say 200 yds and compensate for the drop and pull that much higher on the target, with much practice this way I've done pretty good, but I want to know how to figure out these confusing methods of changing your scope around in the field according to the target distance and bringing it back to zero when your done. Like how in the world do you know that say at 700 yds there is such and such MOA, but it is an amount of inches that is some crazy high number, but the MOA number is so small. I just want to know everything there is to know about how this should be used but not complicated, these somewhat average joes make it sound so simple on youtube shooting vids.

#2 · (Edited)
MOA is minute of angle. 1 inch for every 100 yards. If your gun is shooting 1 MOA, then your groups are in 1 inch at 100 yards. At 600 yards this would measure 6 inch groups. 1/4 inch MOA on your scopes is that for every 4 clicks (I know they are probably friction knobs) that you are moving 1 inch at one hundred yards.
search is your friend: http://www.perfectunion.com/vb/showthread.php?t=58376

#3 ·
I also suggest that if you are interested in shooting long distances and making field adjustments that you contact Leupold to install target turrets on your scope. It makes life easier in the long run.

#4 ·
23 MOA is 23" at 100yd, or 230" at 1000yd. However, that is 23MOA above their "zero" point, and you (nor I) don't know what that is. Esp as most LR guys also use a 20 or 40 MOA inclined scope base, just to get additional adjustment range (they need to set their scopes elevation "full down" just to get on paper at 100yd).
The "inches" number is just to impress the yokels.
Guesstamating "hold off" AKA "kentucky windage" kinda works at short range, but it's not very repeatable nor reliable once the ranges start to get out there. The other concern is estamating wind/wind changes between you and the target, and dialing in the corrections for them.

As far as your scope adjustments go, it sounds like your actually getting 1/2 MOA per click. Starting with your current zero and at 100yd, fire 3 rounds, than crank in 2 MOA of "up" and 2 MOA of "left" and fire 3 rounds, crank in 4 MOA of "right" and fire 3, crank in 4 MOA "down" and fire 3, crank in 4 MOA "left" fire 3 and finaly crank in 2 MOA up and 2 MOA "right" and fire 3. You should end up with 5 groups (4 3 round and 1 6 round) and the centers of the outer groups being 4" apart and centered on the 6 round group. If you don't, contact Leupold

#5 ·
I run a 20 MOA base on my .308 to make sure I have enough adjustment in my elevation for 1000 yards. At 600 yards I wouldn't need the extra 20. Using MOA as a way to adjust elevation is the accepted way of understanding just how to make adjustments. It seems to be a pain but once you learn to work with it, it isn't so bad. This by no means is to pass myself off as an expert. I just have been in the situations and have friends who are competitive shooters to push me along.

#8 ·
MOA: minute of angle: a unit of angular measurement equal to 1/60th of 1 degree and actualy equals 1.0473 PER 100 yards
so 1moa equals 1.0473 at 100 yards (1.0473 X 1 = 1.0473)
2.0946 at 200 yards 1.0473 X 2 (hundreds of yards) = 2.0946
3.1419 at 300 yards 1.0473x3= 3.1419
4.1892 at 400 yards
ect
ect

1 MOA at 2 miles (3520 yards) is 36.865"
35.2 (hundreds of yards) X 1.0473= 36.865
hope this helps
RR

#9 ·
ok, i think im starting to get my mind wraped around the concept, but i just need to we with someone who does this all the time if i can find a place around here that i can shoot long range. I would like to find a long range shooter to go shoot with, but i dont know anyone, i wish there were a club or a group of people or something.

#10 ·
unless you shoot extreme long range (1000+ yards), you can figure 1" per 100 yards, it will take a few MOA before that .0473" per 100 catches up with ya. so just remember .25 at 100, .5 at 200, .75 at 300, 1" at 400 per 1/4 MOA click.
RR

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.