Perfect Union banner

Laser Boresighter

1K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  gossman 
#1 ·
I couldn't resist. I sighted my new 580 with the iron sights @ 25 yards. I got it as good as it is going to get. That is what I originally decided was best for the purpose of the rifle. However, I had a new Simmons 3X9X40 8 point sitting in the closet.
The Ranch Rifle came with two scope rings. So, I slapped the Simmons on it today. My question is this... Cabela's sells .223 laser boresighters for around $40.00. Is this the best way to get the scope dialed in? I know the Simmons is an inexpensive scope and I might get another higher quality scope down the road. Should I use that method for dialing it in? My 7mm rem mag was a bolt action and I could see straight down the barrel. It was pretty easy compared to this rotating bolt on the Mini 14. Thanks in advance.

#2 ·
I'd be curious to know about this as well, but my impression is that you could probably achieve a decent battlesight zero with the laser, and then you could fine-tune it by putting actual rounds downrange. It might be good enough for plinking, but for any more serious usage, I would think that you would want to verify your zero by going out and burning some powder.

#3 ·
Get a boresighter that will handle more calibers since you never know when you might need it for other guns. I have a Leupold boresighter that attaches to the muzzle by magnet, it gets one on paper and works for every caliber. I understand that Midway USA has them along with a Bushnell Model that works on the same idea.

#5 ·
actually I have this one
http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=675745&t=11082005

It isn't a bad unit and I have used it a bunch. Not too hard to use but does the job. Perfect for an AR flat top with a front sight when trying to boresight a scope. There are a bunch of other styles to look at at the link if you hit boresighters at the top of the page. I suggest getting the best one you can afford, it is a purchase you will be glad to have even after 10 years. I prefer the magnetic style because you don't have to stick anything in the muzzle and risk muzzle damage. If I were to do it agian, I might think about the US Optics magnetic but it is spending like everything else they make.

#8 ·
After 100 yards, I can't get that AR to hit right, open is much worse, but scoped still shoots too high. Thats for a different thread though. All my other guns, it works like a charm:lol:.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.