Perfect Union banner

Bino's please give advice

1K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Joe from New York 
#1 ·
need new binos, I have almost settled on steiner marine 7X50s $274 shipping included from amazon. I used similar ones in the Army and have looked though them at Bass Pro. I do wonder about how well the auto focus will work in the brush. does anyone have them. I plan to use them for fishing, bird watching, hunting and anything else that pops up. They will probably get the most use in the back yard and second most on the boat. I can also get steiners with the compass for about $150 more. Is it worth it? I like the Idea but it don't know if it is worth that much. All input appreciated. I will consider other brands but I am pretty set on 7 X 50s.

Jeff

#2 · (Edited)
If you're going to be doing any cross-country navigating or coastal boating, they can be handy for plotting your position using landmarks, but if you use GPS that $150 can be better spent elsewhere. 7x50s give you the most light transmission at night, since the output pupil of about 7mm closely matches that of the dilated eye at night. I had a pair for years I could see into darkened areas that were impossible with the naked eye. I think 7x50 is ideal. Too bad it isn't as common as it was a short time ago.

#6 ·
These are great for night viewing on land, and fun for stars and viewing the moon. I can see in cars at night too, unless the windows are heavily tinted. The FOV is very good, with tripod mount, but they are lite and can be held by hand with no problem.
Celestron Skymaster 15x70 $79.00

Next to my 20x50 Bushnells.

#3 ·
Lat time I read they didn't rate well for the price, you might want to look at some Bushnells or others around the same price. I have two older Bushnells ( actually Bauch and Lomb) elites that work great, a 7x and 10x. Boats are rough on binos though and I run cheapies on my small (17') river boat so I don't cry when they go overboard.

#4 ·
Not sure how they stack up with the others, but I really like the Burris bino's I got with the Fullfield II scope I bought as a package deal. I think they are 8X though.

My other set is Wind River, and although the WR's are smaller, I like the Burris' better.

#5 ·
I have:

No name brand 7x35 nice for viewing in the yard.

Bushnell 10x50 works good at events, close ups of birds in trees, good light intake.

Bushnell 20x50 great for long distance, ok for dusk viewing, some astronomical viewing.

Celestron 20x80 good for long range, astronomical viewing, and low light, but they are large.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.