Perfect Union banner

Simmons Scope?????

6K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  Song Dawg 
#1 ·
Any opinions on Simmons Prohunter 6-18 side focus??

#2 ·
If you mean the new Master Prohunter Series 6-18x40 with the side parallel focus, I have one on my Colt AR and I love it. A lot of people were concerned with new Simmons scopes but mine is built as good as previous Simmons'. I think when they changed hands and flaked out on some Customer Support, that freaked some people out. Give them a year, they'll see they have to stand behind their product or go out of business.

Kelly

#5 ·
Simmons did, after all win the Golden Bullseye Award so there must be something to them. I must say I like the fact they weigh quite a bit less than most all other scopes too.

#7 ·
Simmons is not only in bad with Meade they now ARE Meade! Simmons was always a repectable product especially in rimfire scopes however Meade was looking to fill the tasco mkt apparently and cheapened the products significantly. It's now a toss up between meade and BSA:(

My favorite rimfire scope is the older Simmons .22 MAG 1022T 3X9X32 AO...for about $118.00. THOSE DAYS ARE GONE! The current Meade version isn't even close at $59.00:angry:

SD

#8 ·
I have said this before on this, and other forums, and I will say it again.

Buy quality optics, or you will wish you had. You do not want to know what scope I could buy if I had my money back from all the junk scopes I have bought.

Here are a few links for you to read...

http://www.chuckhawks.com/under-scoped.htm
http://www.chuckhawks.com/thoughts_scopes.htm
http://www.chuckhawks.com/straight_scope.htm

Three great articles that should help you in your choice.

May I ask what kind of rifle you are planning on putting this on?

#9 ·
I have the Prohunter 6-18x40 on my Colt HBAR and I've shot 5-shot 3hole 1/2" groups with it............target pics in AR gallery, it was windy and I was just laying down using the bipod. The company might have changed hands but Simmons scopes are still a great value scope. Read some reviews from people that are in the know that have actually USED the scopes and see what they say about them. Unless your building an ultra-high performance crazy sniper setup, you don't need anything extravagant. Thats like buying a set of $2000 wheels to put on a $250 car.

Kelly

#10 ·
Just to clarify my post above.....

I am not saying you have to spend a fortune on a scope to get one that is worth a crap. $79 dollars usually gets you a $79 scope. You get what you pay for. There are some great options in the $120- $150 range, and they are way more then twice the scope as compaired to the $79 special.

In fact, I was at the range last weekend. I had my 7mag w/ nikon prostaff scope, cost about $140. I also had my mauser w/ bushnell sportsman?, cost about $70. I shot the 7 first. As soon as I picked up the mauser and looked through the scope I said, out loud, "Wow, what a piece of ______". Worlds of difference...

Point is, I just want to make sure bushrod is not urinating his money away.......

#11 ·
Yeah, I gotcha.........I'd hate for a fellow hard working gun lover to waste his money too. Some people consider a $70 scope top shelf, everybody's opinion of value is different. If I had the cash I'd have the best of the best on everything lol! Thats why I do at least 2 weeks worth of research and homework before I buy anything over $50. I just hate being ripped off!! Main point is read reviews from reputable sources and don't be afraid to trust your gut on an items value.

Kelly

#12 ·
Yep, Der Verge has it!

That older edition Simmons .22 Mag 1022T (pre-Meade Optics) was a winner @ under $125.00. Bright, reliable, repeatable and low profile.

The Nikon and Weavers are also a good buy.

DV, I tried several dealers to see where the Nikons are now made but never got a straight answer...Can you provide any help?

SD

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.