Perfect Union banner

Optics question/opinions

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  deconb 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi,

I just had a quick question. I was wondering what would be a good setup for night time varmint killing. Normally I can see the varmint from the headlights of my truck somewhere around the farm but when I go to aim I can't see crap because of the stock sights. I was planning on getting truglow sights but then I was thinking that maybe a red dot scope would be a better idea.

I need something that I can shoot semi-accurately (within 2" @ 80 yards), I can see the varmint at night with, a little zoom would be nice also (but not necessary), and at the MOST around $100.

I looked into BSA's red dot scope but some of the reviews said that the dot couldn't be seen well in the daytime.

I previously had a Bushnell 3-9x by 40'ish mm but the gun fell over and now the crosshair inside the scope is broken in half. I was considering going a different route with this gun after that happened.

Sorry that question was so windy... I would really appreciate some ideas, I did a forum search and nothing came up. Brand and model suggestions would also be great..

- Josh

See less See more
#5 ·
So tell us the answer!?! The only dot I've found to be worth the bother is the E.O. Tech, but have not had any dealings with the other high end stuff. The powered dots I've seen have no focus so with my eyes it's like looking in a fishbowl.

#6 · (Edited)
I made a post asking what RD means, then I realized it meant Red Dot, I have no idea what the answer to my question is on what a good red dot scope is..

Millet's are probably good, but I wonder how the 2x zoom red dot's do..

Any other opinions? I have a 10/22 by the way.

- Josh

#7 ·
I have a BSA Illuminated reticle 3x9x40 on my 22 mag and have been real happy with it. It's as clear as my Burris 3x9x40 but has an illuminated reticle that is intensity adjustable.
I use it for beaver control on fullmoonish nights. Not sure I'd put it on a 7mm mag but for a 10-22 it's probably perfect.
I think I payed around $50 bucks for it.

#8 ·
If you want to try a quick and cheap red dot, check out the bsa/truglow/other generic label here versions they have at walmart for around 30$ (I bought one for 35$ and one for 19.99$ at two different places). They're the big (30mm?) ones with one big knob for power and two small adjuster knobs.

There's nothing fancy about these, you turn it on and select power from 1-11, I promise, you CAN see the dot in bright daylight. The ONLY downside of these scopes in my opinion is that you'll forget to turn it off and drain the battery. After doing this a few times and spending 5$ for a cr2032 battery I went on ebay and found a tray of 20 of them for 7$. Now that scope is a winner for sure. :)

I'd bet after picking one up to 'try a red dot' you'll keep it on your scope.

Heres one on amazon for 35$, you can probably find it even cheaper

http://www.amazon.com/BARSKA-Red-Dot-50mm-Riflescope/dp/B001JJCHXY/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=photo&qid=1231433372&sr=1-4

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.