Perfect Union banner

Need advice on a spotting scope

8K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  amamnn 
#1 ·
I'm in the market for a spotting scope to use for general long-range shooting, varmint hunting, and CMP service matches. As a starting point, I'm pretty sure I'll need at least an 80mm objective, with something like 20-60x magnification. Doesn't have to be a high-end spotter, just good enough to see the .22 caliber holes at least to 300. It would be great if it could reach to 600, but I know that's not going to happen without a really expensive and high-powered scope.

One question I have is about the use of "ED" (extra-low dispersion) glass. Some scopes say they have it, and the mere fact of adding that feature will double the price of the scope. Supposedly it reduces very sharp images out to the edge of the view, without chromatic distortion. So, is ED worth it? If you have a $200 spotter, and then there is an ED version of the same thing that's $400 or more, is it worth considering the ED version?

Also, I'm wondering about brands. Let's say in the $200 to $450 range, what would be the best recommended brands and models for the kinds of uses I'm going to have?

#2 ·
Well a friend of mine works at the local Gander Mountain and we had a talk about spotting scopes on a slow day when I was there. I was looking at a Burris but the price was a little more than I wanted to pay. So I asked him what he thought I should get. He recommended a Barska, I was like in shock that he would recommend a Chinese spotting scope that was not even in the case (it was in a box over by the blister packed scopes). His reply was that the high dollar ones are better but this would do what I wanted. He then set up the most expensive scope and pointed it through the store, out the door at the empty Best Buy across the parking lot. I could count bricks ,see the texture on them and the joints between them. Then he did the same on the Barska (20-60x60 I think) and again I could see the same. This was a $900 scope VS a $130 scope. They also had a bigger Barska for $199 that was out of stock. I plan on getting this one after I get a few more gun related things (I don't think spotting scopes are due for any bans). The laser range finder said the distance was 450-500 yards I don't remember the exact number. He said none of these have ever come back broken.

I you might want to look at and through some and let your eyes decide what is best for you.

#3 ·
Ive been getting by with a 20-60x60mm el cheapy BSA deer hunter spotting scope got the whole kit with tripod and window mount for 60 bucks. does almost everything I need. it is great for hunting where it weighs hardly nothing thanks to inexpensive glass lenses. It also glasses .22 holes just fine out to 300 yards I havent used it for reading targets at longer ranges. It spots 7x7 bull elk at 1000+ yards, while counting all 14 ivory tips I was wishing I had a 50 BMG there with me. LOL:lol: one of these will probably get ya by. But Im looking at getting a burris Landmark 20-60x80mm to do the other things the bsa doesnt.

#4 ·
Thanks for the tips. I figured out which one I'm going to get for starters. I may get the Kowa later if I really get into the competition thing, but I figure it doesn't make sense (for me, at least) to start with top-of-the-line for ALL my equipment.

I'm getting the Konus KonusSpot 20-60x80, which runs usually around $200, give or take. I got to look through one that belongs to someone else at my range yesterday, and the optics are absolutely AMAZING for the low price. It's bright and clear, and I could EASILY see the fine details of .223 holes at 300 yards!!! The view was BETTER than it was through one of those Leupold Wind River scopes that cost over $400!!! Also, Jim Owens, the big guru on CMP shooting, says that this is the best starter scope available for the money. When you figure that even a basic Kowa plus the eyepiece (they sell them separately) are going to run you over $800, the Konus seems like a pretty good deal. Jim Owen has tested the Konus in 11 different scenarios against the Kowa, and in 10 out of 11, the Konus was in the same approximate performance range as the Kowa, for about 1/4 the price.

#6 · (Edited)
TN, the main things that decided me on the Konuspot were, I got a chance to actually look through one yesterday at the range, alongside a Leupold, and I also talked with Jim Owens, the CMP training guru who recommends the Konus as the best inexpensive starter spotting scope. Some of his comments about it are here on his site, but I'd recommend perhaps you call and try to talk with Jim, or look through a Konus somewhere if you can. What really made up my mind was how good that Konus looked when I was examining my 22 caliber bullet holes at 300 yards, versus the Leupold. The Konus, a $190 scope, was better than the Leupy spotter which cost 2x as much!!!

Note that the Konus only has a 1-year warranty. But the folks I've run into thus far who own one, including Jim Owens, say that they hold up just fine. And at that cheap a price, so what if it only lasts 5 years or so? It's less than half the cost of even the other low-end spotters, and a fourth the cost of a Kowa. Obviously if money's no object, the Kowa is best, but money IS an object for me.

One other tip: you don't have to buy the Konus from Jim's site necessarily. He asks $260, but there are may places on the web that carry it as well, for less. I ordered some other equipment from Jim, but bought my Konus at Champion Shooters.com (only $190). However, notice that Jim has a nice deal on the Konus if you buy from him, might be worth considering:

"When you buy this scope from me, I will make you an offer. You put down a $100.00 deposit, pay $150.00 for the scope and $10.00 shipping for a total of $260.00. At any later date you decide to up-grade to a Kowa or just plain decide to quite shooting and you no longer want or need the scope, I will refund your $100.00 deposit (The optics must be in good condition.) I will then donate it to a Junior Team."

#7 ·
I stubbled across konus optics the other day and went searching for a local dealer and found one about an hour away down the mountain I got to try out the same set you did Tim its truly an amazing piece of inexpensive glass the store clerk let me take it and a range finder outside to give it a try and get a feel of the optics with exact ranges. I was able to read the print on the licsense plate of a car from 486 yards with absolutely awesome clarity on just the 40 power setting the focus dialed right in like it should. I liked it so much I bought it $226 and change OTD.

#8 ·
Got the Konus in tonight. A very impressive package, very nicely finished, and nicely made. Apparently it has a 2-year warranty. A little skimpy on directions, but hey: it's a spotting scope. If you can't figure out, it's probably time to take up a different sport. :lol: Can't wait to try it at 300 yards at the range.

#9 ·
I've now tried my Konus 3 times at the range, both at 100 and 300 yards, and it's easy to see .22 caliber holes at 300 yards, even in dim light and with a black target. No idea how well this thing will hold up over the long haul, but given the bright clear optics and the range at which you can easily see small holes for target shooting, it seems like an ideal spotting scope for folks who don't want to break the bank. I'll follow up on this post later on to mention how well it's holding up, but for now, I'd give it 2 thumbs up.

One thing I haven't gotten to try yet, but am curious about, is the digital camera attachment. They include one with the scope. I think it'd be interesting to attach my Sony camera and try to take some pictures of Washington wildlife or other shots at long range, and see how they turn out.

#10 ·
I got mine from Orion long ago when I was shooting 1000 yd. BR. They make optics intended as spotting scopes, but I got one of the short focal length refractor telescopes and a variable eyepiece. At the time, it was less expensive than a spotting scope of similar powder and had better definition.

http://www.telescope.com/control/category/~category_id=telescopes

This "super clamp" and a pipe clamp will enable you to mount your spotting scope on any surface. The pipe clamp is not necessary unless mounting on very thick surface.
http://www.adorama.com/BG2910.html

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.