Perfect Union banner

Shooting With Prescription Progressive Lenses

3K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  Hogwild 
#1 ·
I must confess to getting older and that brings with it complications. Rather than bi-focal prescription glasses, I use the progressive grind prescription that don't have the "lines" but just progressively increase power as you go lower down on the lense.

Does anyone have experience using these with:

Aimpoint type (red dot scopes)

Holographic Sighting Systems (EO Tech, Bushnell etc)

"Scopes" Leuopold, etc. variable or fixed same difference.

I seem to have difficulty tilting my head back far enough to get good focus via the standard type scopes.

I wonder if it is different or better when using the above aiming system.

I am seeking your experiences with each if have had such.

#4 · (Edited)
My eyes are really bad for things up close, like open sights. Like you, I can't get my head far enough back to foucus. If I do, then I can't see the target. With scoped guns however, I don't need my glasses as I can see the chrosshairs/target just fine. Same with a red dot sight. I did find that when using peep sights I can see the sights & target clearly because it makes your eye focus down. My answer for shooting open sights on handguns is to not use the rear sight, focus on the target and pick up the front sight, which I've painted flourescent orange. It's not sharp, but more than adequate to shoot accurately, for me. With the scopes, try readjusting you ocular lens. And try it without your glasses. The eyepiece is nothing more than a magnifying glass that's function is to bring the chrosshairs into fouces...that's why it adjustable. With the red dots there's little or no magnification, so keep both eyes open and look at the target...the red dot will superimpose itself on the target, so if you can see the target, you should be able to see the red dot. I gave up shooting handguns for a number of years out of frustration with the inability to see the sights, but after making some changes to my shooting technique, I'm back at it and can hold my own. Tinker around with the guns, you'll come onto something that works.

#6 ·
I've done a little point shooting, at close range. If you set-up to the target properly, it works. I've never tried it at 25 yds or so. For me, just picking up the front sight works well. It's fuzzy, but all I need is a reference point in relation to my muzzle & the target.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.