Perfect Union banner

Need spoting scope for 100yrd zero, Advice

1K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  billt 
#1 ·
I need a spoting scope that will allow me to clearly see bullet holes in paper at 100 yards. What power spoting scope do I need? Also, any recomendations on a decent scope for less than $100. I will only be using the scope for bench rest shooting, so I don't need it to be water proof or rubber armored.

#2 · (Edited)
Well, in my opinion you need something with at least 20 x magnafication. As for a recommendation, I think the Burris Landmark spotting scopes are great for the money. I got one of the deals where you buy a Burris Fullfield II scope in 3-9x40 and got a free Landmark 20X compact spotting scope. This thing is great. I put it on an old camera tripod I had and can easily see .22 caliber holes at 100 yds. I almost always attach my target to a piece of pasteboard or cardboard so that might be worth noting as, in my opinion, that makes it easier to see the holes from the start. This Landmark Compact spotting scope goes for about 80 bucks if you buy it seperate. In my opinion, it would be worth that.

Here's a link to it at Midway.

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=836543

#7 ·
www.natchezss.com has the burris fulfield 2 3-9x40 and spotting scope package for $199.00 if i needed a scope and a spotting scope thats what i would go with.
I bought this same package of Burris Fullfield plus 20x50 spotting scope from Midway awhile back. The spotting scope works OK, but leaves a bit to be desired, IMO. It is BARELY adequate at 100 yards, and if shooting my .22LR into black targets I often cannot make out the holes. But if 100 yards is all you need it for, that may be good enough. If you ever want to go to 150 yards or beyond, you'll definitely want more than 20x, and more than the 50mm objective.

#8 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.