LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2006, 23:10   #1
Registered Member
Points: 5,920, Level: 49 Points: 5,920, Level: 49 Points: 5,920, Level: 49
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Last Achievements

scope a m48

got a friend who wants to scope his m48. drill and tap mounts just like the 700 or the savage is what he needs and his bolt handle bent. does any manufacture make these?
trigger45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 18:29   #2
Points: 7,904, Level: 59 Points: 7,904, Level: 59 Points: 7,904, Level: 59
Last Achievements

There are bolts made, and bend bolt kits to modify one yourself. If you do a little research though, you do not have to bend the bolt. I have a m48, with a 3-9x40 scope on it. If you would like all the details, send me a pm and I will let you know.
Old 01-03-2007, 19:17   #3
Boogyman

What Der Verge might be referring to is using a "scout" mount, some of which replace the rear sight. I could be mistaken, but that's the only way I know of to reliably mount a scope on a Mauser without modifying the bolt handle. Even the Yugo M-48 bent handle will hit a top-receiver-mounted scope.

There are the do-it-yourself kits, but they involve cutting off the bolt handle and drilling and tapping the bolt body, then attaching the handle with a screw, which usually works loose after a few rounds. There are also side-mount bases and such, some require drilling and tapping, others "clamp" on somehow, I wouldn't think they could be very solid. There's also a stock-mount which I can't imagine could be very accurate.

If Der Verge knows of a better way, I'd be interested in hearing how he did it.

I had my gunsmith mount a regular receiver scope on my M-48. He used the standard Weaver 2-piece base specified for all Mauser large-ring actions, and drilled and tapped the receiver. Then he modified the bolt handle by cutting it off and re-welding it on in the turned-down position, which is a common technique. The safety was replaced with an inexpensive side lever type. The whole thing cost about $80, including the bases.

I used my Dremel with a drum-sander bit to cut the groove in the stock for the bolt to fit in the closed position. I then mounted a Bushnell 3x9 on it.

It was money well spent... it's a very accurate shooter, coming in at about 2" consistently at 100 yards. I added it up... $89 for the rifle (bought 3 years ago), $15 for shipping, $80 gunsmithing and $75 for the scope came to $259 for a great shooter that will take elk-size game at 300-400 yards. A pretty dang accurate high-power rifle that eats cheap surplus ammo all day long.

Last edited by Boogyman; 01-03-2007 at 19:39.
Old 01-04-2007, 16:25   #4
Last Achievements

Not a scout mount. Over the action. Here is what I did.
I ordered a B-Square weaver rail, maid for the m 48. Have the reciever drilled and tapped by a gunsmith. Now, depending on the size and actual make of your scope, you have to play the scope mount game. Some 2-9X40 scopes can be mounted with high scope rings, others with extrahigh, or see through mounts. It depends on how "chunky" the piece for the magnification adjustment is. Smaller scopes, smaller rings.
JUST AS IMPORTANT. I would highly suggest you get windage adjustable scope rings also. You can move the scope about 1/8 inch away from the bolt handle, giving you that touch more clearance.

I have a 33mm objective scope on mine, adjustable high mounts. You may be able to use lower mounts if you use a fixed power scope.

It takes some time to figure out what works. But the point is, everybody on the internet said you could not scope a m48 with out changing the bolt, and I proved them all wrong!. I have pictures here some where, and I will post as soon as I find them.
Old 01-04-2007, 17:02   #5
Boogyman

Ok. I see what you're saying, I guess that would work if you like high mounts. I prefer low mounts myself, but each to their own.

Thing is, if you're going to have a gunsmith drill and tap the reciever anyway, why not just give him the extra $40 to modify the bolt handle too? That way you can use the cheaper, standard Mauser mounts, and just about any scope you want.

Either way, scoping an M-48 is a good thing. I bought three of them when they were dirt cheap. The best one is my "collectable" in original condition. The next best one I stripped down and used the action to build a custom rifle in .308. And I mounted the scope on the last one. It gets the most rounds through it.

Last edited by Boogyman; 01-04-2007 at 17:05.
Old 01-05-2007, 16:09   #6
Last Achievements

I hear you about the low scope mounts. The lower the better. And I am not saying that you should not have your bolt handle modified instead of ordering high mount rings. I did what I did because everyone said it could not be done, and I knew it could. I did it so I could say "told ya so"