LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2006, 14:32   #1
Points: 6,449, Level: 52 Points: 6,449, Level: 52 Points: 6,449, Level: 52
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Last Achievements

I'm in thailand right now (and will be for the next 9 months), and there is an incredibly number of seemingly high-quality rifle scopes (anything from the tiny 2x scopes for handguns to huge 15-18 inch 4-14 illuminated reticle monsters). in addition there are so many red dot sights that I don't know what to shake at them.

would anybody like to test these out? I can't send them over for free, but if it's a worthwhile scope, I may be able to make some extra cash by selling them. the scopes cost roughly anywhere from 25 to 50 dollars, have some sort of range finder built in (no numbers, just a ladder on the lower half of the reticle), and are generally illuminated (both red and green illumination. the windage and elevations are adjustable, the zoom and focus are adjustable.... I can't think of anything wrong with them, as far as looks go. the thing I don't know is how they really work 'in the field'.

"...he defined leadership with the following two words: follow me."
Richard Marcinko, referring to Roy Boehm
Santafeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 15:08   #2
Points: 5,064, Level: 45 Points: 5,064, Level: 45 Points: 5,064, Level: 45
Last Achievements

can you try to post some pics of them and give some specs on them like their brand if you can
Thanks
johnnyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 19:36   #3
Last Achievements

update: the scopes are a variety of name brands, including bushnell (for the large scopes ) and walther (for the red dot sights). also, during my last visa run (during which I cross the border from thailand to burma and come back), I also found some spotting scopes (no brand information), telescopes, some lasers (for painting a target, these particular lasers were for pistols, and were very solidly- surprisingly solidly- constructed).

I'm going to say this right off the bat: these may be forgeries! this is southeast asia, the production facilities for forging (anything) are nothing short of amazing! forgeries and imitations are what keep the economies running with such simple tricks as forging the labels on bottles of whine before increasing the price tenfold. but whether these are forgeries or not, they are well made (in most cases), and probably purchased as surplus from japan (where these are produced).

anyone still interested? I can post pics if anyone still wants them, althought he pics aren't terribly good (cell phone camera).

Old 02-09-2006, 14:47   #4
Points: 5,064, Level: 45 Points: 5,064, Level: 45 Points: 5,064, Level: 45
Last Achievements

ya could you please post some pics of the red dot scopes and whatever else you might see?
Thanks.
If you don't mind my asking, so what are you doing in Thailand; I was just wondering becuase every once in a while I vist Viet Nam.
johnnyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 03:58   #5
Last Achievements

I'm teaching english, studying thai, and studying the bible. I also study linguistics (nothing official- yet), and am somewhat romantically involved with a thai woman (no, not a whore. she's a missionary-in-training, like me. this is why it's 'somewhat' romantically involved and not 'romantically involved').

if you ever have the extra cash, hop on over to Chiang Mai and give me a call. I'll PM you my number if you're seriously interested.