Perfect Union banner

Mounting a TRS25

3K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  RJF 
#1 ·
Thinking of putting a TRS25 on my new mini (583), will it fit on the rail mount that came with the gun? Doesn't seem to be much room with the cut out, also, do you folks that use this scope have to use risers? This is my first post (after the intro) so be gentle, or not

#2 ·
Newbie AR15 owner here... Ordered my TRS25 without the riser and soon discovered my mistake. Received the riser today (a one incher, Leaper UTG, 3 slot, from Optics Planet), put it on this evening, and looks like it's going to make all the difference in the world. Still waiting for some Guntec aluminum flipup sights (also from Optics Planet) for cowitnessing and then I'll be able to start sighting in. Suppose to be able to do a 1/3 cowitness with this AR setup. Good luck to ya'.

#3 · (Edited)
The riser only matters for the gun. Ergonomically AR 15's generally need a higher optics mount, the Mini won't. To answer your question, for the Mini you will not want the riser as you won't get a decent cheek weld with it.

The TRS25 should fit the rail mount, they are small and generally don't need much room, but the issue will be if the spot you have to use is where your eyes want the scope. You may want to swap to a mount that doesn't have the cut out.

#4 ·
Turkey, I think your question has already been answered, but just in case:
The TRS-25 works on the Ruger-provided rail: you just need to put it at the forward end or the rear end. At the forward end, it overhangs the hand guard a bit, making it a challenge to get it off. At the rear end this is not a challenge, and gives you a better purchase for a more-solid mounting. I prefer the forward end for now - it just feels better to my eyes. A deciding factor may be if the ejecting brass hits it. Each rifle is different.

The ideal solution is an UltiMak (like Sandog uses) or Amega Ranges scout rail. It drops the sight down lower for a better cheek weld.

#6 ·
In these red dot mounting posts, which I'm trying to soak up, the necessity or desire for cowitnessing with the irons doesn't come up much... But is that what we're talking about when we refer to keeping the mount and ring down low, without the need for a riser? Rifle noob, sorry... :)

#7 ·
Mild, no. Co-witnessing would be looking through the red dot and seeing the front sight right about where the red dot is. One can do that with an AR-15 since the front sight sits so high. On the Mini, the front and rear sights sit much, much lower to the bore of the rifle (usually a good thing). One cannot get a red dot down low enough to co-witness a Mini's front sight. That's why the subject doesn't come up much (not possible).

Don't be sorry about being a noob! We all started somewhere and sometime and are happy to welcome noobs to our community interests with answers to questions.

For an AR with a fixed front sight, one might need a riser for a 'dot to get it up to the level of the front sight - hence the discussion about risers sometimes for co-witnessing. We Mini guys usually prefer to keep the 'dot down as low as one can, but can't get it low enough to co-witness with the front sight. What that means is that one has to choose: either a red-dot or the iron sights. The red-dot (more accurately, the base of the red dot) blocks the view for the iron sights.

Hope this helps!

BTW, welcome to the forum from Central Virginia and Happy Labor Day!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.