Perfect Union banner

What's a good scope for deer/elk hunting ?

3K views 15 replies 3 participants last post by  Carpshooter 
#1 ·
Well the purchase of a new rifle would mean that I need a good scope , also might need to replace my 4X12 scopes on my coyote rifles too !

What does everyone here recommend ?

Please stick with optics that cost no more than the price of a Remington 700 ! :)

Also rings and mounts !

#3 ·
Beings you want to know

I want a 3X9 X40 or so and a duplex style reticle .

I got a 3X9x40 BDC Pro-staff Nikon on my 30/06 Remington 760 pump , the yote rifles have Bushnell 4X12X40 scopes !

I want to take deer size game at 300 yards !

All my rifles are still unfired , they are gun cabinet queens as I took up archery and slug hunting deer here in the tall corn state when I wasn't pheasant hunting ( my main hunting sport ) .:ph34r:

#7 ·
At 300 a variable power scope is a waste of weight, money, ruggedness.

Try a quality fixed power like the Leupold 4x33 or even their Ultralight 2.5x20.
I use the latter extensively and they are a gem for close to medium range, especially in brush/wooded areas. Fast, light, compact, and can take field hits like an ACOG.

The other reason to choose a fixed power is you will actually learn the ballistics of your package better which will result in faster more accurate shots. I mean, no offense, but if you need a rangefinder out to 300 you really need to learn your package better.

#8 ·
A little know fact !

Have you ever gone into a store , gun shop or big box place and seen many fixed power scopes ? :unsure:

I have lower power fixed , but confess that I like those type of scopes , whose power can be change ! :rolleyes:

I will spend under $ 400 as I wasn't born with a silver spoon in my mouth and plan on hunting not bragging about my scope ! ;)

#10 ·
If you need to know !

I purchased a Nikon 3X9 X40 prostaff model with that BDC feature , so I can pick targets after sighting my rifle in up to who knows how far ? Except my smart phone , after I check on it through Nikon info site and giving the range , power setting , bullet type and wind speed info will tell me how to hold the scope ! ;)

This is my second prostaff with that BDC feature as I want to be right on target ! ;)

I'll be sighting in my rifles next Friday ! :)

#11 ·
What you thought you knew, vs what you need to know.

Works real fine at the KD Range Carpshooter, how many of those game critters will be holding up yardage signs? :lol:

Care to tell me how your Japanese Bullet Drop Compensation explains how far away the Critter you mean to cook and eat is? ;)

For Hunting just use a three hundred yard zero (Point Blank Range) and figure out how close or far the quarry is. BDC it's a nice adjustment when you know what the Range to Target is. :rolleyes:

#12 ·
A little know fact !

Works real fine at the KD Range Carpshooter, how many of those game critters will be holding up yardage signs? :lol:

Care to tell me how your Japanese Bullet Drop Compensation explains how far away the Critter you mean to cook and eat is? ;)

For Hunting just use a three hundred yard zero (Point Blank Range) and figure out how close or far the quarry is. BDC it's a nice adjustment when you know what the Range to Target is. :rolleyes:
I know that using a modern Vortex Ranger 1000 may be rocket science to any squid , but yes I will master it as I did being a Marine shooting a M-14 so many years ago ( actually I did much better as an Army doggie with the M -16 A2 , but those courses are much easier ) ! ;)

Got to get the scopes mounted correctly and bore sighted this week ! :unsure:

#13 ·
All those honed skills, but at the wrong distance.

Tell me how far and I'll tell you the DOPE! :eek:

Tell me the DOPE and I'll ask how far? :unsure:

Pull the Trigger and I'll Tell you of your Fantasy! ;)

Have you got a good recipe for Track Soup? :lol:

#14 ·
A little know fact !

Well at least I never got dressed up like " POPEYE " ! :rolleyes:

Seriously , those Nikon scopes on both of my 30/06s work out great , just need time at the range as the barrel on my 760 pump got hot ! :unsure:....................:unsure:

I had a blast watching my son and grandson , as both have better eyes than this old Marine does ( maybe CLOSE RANGE IS MY CALLING NOW ? ) . :rolleyes:

#16 ·
A little know fact !

Mine are not Jap made , they're made in the Philippines by highly intelligent trained in the manufacture of optics " jungle monkeys " ! :lol:................:lol:....

A lot of what ifs , just remember that my rifles in 30/06 are Remingtons , the best there is , thus maybe the handicap of not the greatest optics will be off set by the best made firearms there is ! ;)

Seriously my squid friend ," I'm not worried cause I'm a Marine trained " !:D.....................................:D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.