Perfect Union banner

Tightening Up Leupold Flip-back Lens Covers (Ideas)

3K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  dropbox 
#1 ·
I recently purchased a Leupold FX-II 2.5x scout scope and threw in for a set of flip-back lens covers. Specifically the Alumina Flip-Back Lens Cover Ultralight EP (59060) and LEUPOLD Alumina Flip-Back Lens Cover 28mm (58755). But neither will index properly as each have somewhere between 90 to 180 degrees left of movement before they're fully tight and beyond their appropriate position.

Has anyone else had success finding a washer, gasket, or o-ring for use in these matters? I've been searching for black PTFE/plumbers tape as a backup plan, but it seems black is a rarity. Leaving only some sort of paintball targeted version that's much too thick. Also, I rather not use anything -- even semi-permanent -- like thread locker or dope as there isn't much leverage for later removal. Although, any other tricks are gladly welcome.

#2 ·
You could try a latex gasket, place the palm of a latex glove over the end of the scope, place the flip up cover over the stretched glove material, once the ends are in place cut the latex away from the lens areas to allow use of the scope with the eye.

You have just created a thin gripping latex gasket between the flip up cap and the scopes eye ring.

Good luck with it.

#3 · (Edited)
I can't believe I didn't think of that. Thanks, man.

EDIT:
I'm an idiot. I took them back off the scope after further research. The caps turn about the threaded cylinder such that they can be indexed properly, already. Apparently they were just stiff out of the package and seemed like a single piece at first. Now after being on the scope once, they have worked lose can be easily adjusted before final tightening. It's obvious now that's what the purpose of the serrated grip inside is meant to do.

Some literature on that would have been nice from Leupold, but I'm starting to get the impression they lack that often.

#4 ·
Another option is plasti-dip.

It can act like removable glue when necessary. Just put a few drops around the circumference and slide your parts together. Don't coat the whole thing, you just want enough to grab and not squeeze out.

When you want to remove it, just wiggle it enough to get it moving. After it comes off it'll just peel out.

I've done this on aluminum parts that I needed to be held tight during assembly and it works really well. Never tried it on surfaces with texture or plastics, so test it before you commit to the idea ;) . Lord knows I can't get the crap to stick to my tool handles like it's supposed to...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.