Perfect Union banner

I have a very stupid question

1K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  dh1633pm 
#1 ·
I'll probably find out the answer myself tomorrow at the range, but I'm going to ask anyway.

I recently bought my first red dots. Vortex strikefires were on sale and I bought two for two Tavors. Mounted one and took it to the range but didn't have much time to shoot. Right out of the box it was pretty accurate so I didn't even try to do any adjusting to zero it. Liked it so much when I got home I ordered another one for my AR.

Went to the range last weekend and started tweaking it to get a better group. One shot would be good, next shot 12 to 15 inches off. So I kept messing with it, finally realized it would be easier if I co-witnessed it with my sights. On the Tavor, you flip the sights up when you want them, they don't always have to be up if you're using a scope.

Flipped my sights up, dialed it in and shot. Looked at the dot through my sights immediately and it was way off again. Did that several times and decided my red dot was bad. My wife was having similar problems with hers. So I'm thinking the red dots were junk and I was going to have to return them.

It didn't dawn on me until I got home that I wasn't replacing the adjustment caps between shots, but leaving them off so I could tweak it more without having to take the caps on and off with every tweak. Is that what was likely causing it? Do the caps have to stay on when you shoot or it throws off the dot?

I really hope that's the case or I'm going to have to return three red dots. Vortex has a lifetime warranty and excellent customer service from what I've heard, but I'd rather keep them and find out that I'm just an idiot who wasn't doing it right.

See less See more
#2 ·
I can't speak on that particular red dot but every scope or red dot that I have zeroed at the range I have left the caps off until I was done. One thing I did notice with cheaper scopes is that when I made a correction and turned in an adjustment the reticles or dot would not settle in until a couple rounds were fired.

#5 ·
WOO HOO !!!

All is good, must have just been loose on the rail last weekend. I'm not that great at shooting, Glaucoma, failing eyesight and still learning. Moved it up closer to the front on the rail, made a few adjustments dialing it in and by the time I shut it down I was shooting 2 to 3 inch groups at 50 yards with an occasional flyer. Best I've ever shot anything.

I love my Tavor.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.