Perfect Union banner

Mini-14 Walnut Stocks

18K views 20 replies 16 participants last post by  Buckshot556 
#1 ·
I've been looking to replace the plastic stock on my Mini-14 Tactical. I just love that M14 look and know I'm not the first. From looking for options, I am currently most interested in a standard walnut stock from Grotrian Gun Stocks ( Midwest Woodworks). I tried a search but couldn't find a review about them on this site. Who here has had experience with this guy?

It seems like high quality work on modern equipment. My potential concerns from what I have found is that it is milled to not use the metal stock reinforcement like a factory wood stock and somewhere a while back I read someone comenting on the finish as glossy. I understand that the walnut is much denser and may not need the reinforcement but it makes me worry about fitment when departing from the factory design. As to my other concern, I'm sure he is capable of doing a satin finish. I'm just looking for some feedback from someone who has one of these stocks or other recommendations. Thanks.

#2 ·
Many of the aftermarket synthetic stocks don't use the metal reinforcement and fitment is fine. many fit tight and don't need bedding to get a snug fit in the action, and as you stated walnut is denser and perhaps stronger than the birch factory stock. I had remarked somewhere that the Grotrian wood stocks are described in the website as "non reflective" finish but looked glossy in the photos. I have not seen them in person, so they might be o.k. As you said, they might be willing to make one in satin finish. Or depending on the finish used , something like Birchwood Casey Stock Sheen and Conditioner, which has a mild abrasive can be rubbed on with a rag, or very mild steel wool (0000), used to make it less glossy.

#18 ·
Many of the aftermarket synthetic stocks don't use the metal reinforcement and fitment is fine. many fit tight and don't need bedding to get a snug fit in the action, and as you stated walnut is denser and perhaps stronger than the birch factory stock. I had remarked somewhere that the Grotrian wood stocks are described in the website as "non reflective" finish but looked glossy in the photos. I have not seen them in person, so they might be o.k. As you said, they might be willing to make one in satin finish. Or depending on the finish used , something like Birchwood Casey Stock Sheen and Conditioner, which has a mild abrasive can be rubbed on with a rag, or very mild steel wool (0000), used to make it less glossy.
That is just flat untrue. :lol: :lol: Walnut stocks are more prone to cracking than birch. :eek: :eek: Ruger did their homework. :D :D

#4 · (Edited)
You're correct about the M14/M1A fiberglass stocks and the M1 Garand but the wood M14 stocks do have a liner similar to the one in the Mini-14 wood stocks.
M14 Stock Liner

Sometimes made glassing our match rifles kind of a pain. The M1 was easier to bed...but the M1As were more accurate...sometimes. Match M1's bedding also tended to go out of tune easier than the M1As - don't know but maybe the reinforcement made 'em more rugged. Applies only to the standard receivers - as most of us got out of the game before the rifles with additional recoil lugs on the receiver.

#5 ·
Thanks for the insight gentlemen. I'm trying to do my research while I wait for my licensing test results; planning how to gift myself after. I saw that MidwayUSA finally has the new style wood stocks with hardware included for sale. I've debated going this route instead, but wanted to treat myself a little more.

I'd still like to hear from anyone who has used one. I've been surprised by how little reviews/additional pictures I have been able to find in my searches.

#7 ·
Another option, if you can find 'em, is a Revolution Explorer. They offer them in Walnut, and all come with a satin finish.

USA Rifle Stocks has apparently stopped carrying them due to "inletting issues" (that's all the information I got when I inquired...), but I'd still be in the market for one. Any "inletting issues" surely aren't more than can be solved with a Demel, sandpaper, and/or bedding compound...

#9 ·
Anyone know if the stocks on Mini 30 and Mini 14s are interchangeable? I REALLY want to buy a Mini 30, but the new ones only come with plastic stocks. I want wood furniture like the Ranch Rifle, but the caliber of the Mini 30.

Thanks!

Kev

#11 ·
Anyone know if the stocks on Mini 30 and Mini 14s are interchangeable? I REALLY want to buy a Mini 30, but the new ones only come with plastic stocks. I want wood furniture like the Ranch Rifle, but the caliber of the Mini 30.

Thanks!

Kev
You can put a Mini-14 action in a Mini-30 stock, no problem.

However, putting a Mini-30 action in a Mini-14 stock will require some inletting, mostly around the magazine well.

Most aftermarket stocks are actually inletted for a Mini-30 so they will work with either action. If the description is "Mini-14/30 Stock," you can be 95% sure it'll fit a Mini-30 as well. Some places, though, just don't know any better...

#13 ·
I have one for my mini 14. He makes a nice stock. I have one complaint. It was a little short from the top, where the action fits, to the bottom where the trigger fits. Not sure if that made sense?

I ended up making shims to go under the trigger and take up the slack. Other than that it is a nice stock.

I actually had to send the first one back. I have no idea what the stock was for. It was inletted for the mini, but other areas were way off. Anyway I sent him pics of what I was talking about and he exchanged it.

#14 ·
I have ordered several stocks form the company, They are nice stocks, and they do all they can to accommodate special request, or any flaws found in the stocks. I have ordered the cheaper ones and they are nice too. But the ones made with the nicer wood and finish are well worth the price. They must have a guy special make those the quality is better than a bottom dollar one.

#16 ·
I am not a mini fan. PIA to get bolt out w scope on. So add $100 for quick release scope mounts. Add $100 for struts to stabilize whip thin barrel, then add whatever stock you like. New front sight/flash hider - optional.

I added a Hogue for $53 to make up for short LOP on original wood stock.

To be fair - most try mil-spec surplus fodder and wonder why the gun jams or won't group MOA at 100 yds. Guns can be finicky, try a variety of ammo and see what performs.

#17 ·
I got a walnut Revolution stock from Accuracy Systems Inc. It is beautiful and dropped in like a charm. You need to get the stock liner, screws and operationg rod guide track, but it is worth the effort. It is a little meatier than the original stock for my 185, and has a longer length of pull, which is alright.

I am currently working to finish the walnut handguard to get it matched. It needed much sanding to get it to fit properly, and I will need to figure out how to rivet the barrel clip with a hollow aluminum pop rivet.

I will be posting pictures shortly, if all turns out well

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.