Perfect Union banner

any interest in a mini 14 stripper guide?

32K views 179 replies 70 participants last post by  ffulmer 
#1 ·
thinking about doing a run of these "receiver mounted" stripper guides. wondering if it would be worth it.

i have a minor bug to work out in the final version but nothing insurmountable.

???

See less See more
#143 ·
Now is that Guide for the older Mini's? Like Pre 580 versions? It looks like it attaches to the side of the receiver like the B Square Scope mount does.

I talked to my guy again today and he told me it would be soon. The company is coming up to a new product cycle and he wants this one ready to fly.

I indicated that there as a bunch of sales waiting for this product here at Perfect Union.

So maybe that will motivate.

If they don't produce soon I will go another route. I want the product too.

I should say that the unit I am pushing is for 580 and newer guns, but I think it will work on any gun that has the Ruger Scope Mounts machined into the receiver.

Randy

#144 ·
Thanks for staying with this Randy...
These Federal Ordinance guides replace the bolt lock cover like some scope mounts. That part seems to be common for all the Mini variants according to the schematics on the Brownells site.
I ordered one to play around with....Hopefully your guy can mount his design with less material so I'm still interested. The pictures of this one make it look kinda heavy. Fed Ord stopped making it for some reason. :unsure:
I'll get the camera out when it comes.

#149 ·
Got mine in today.

The "side" plate (bolt hold open cover) is steel as is the large knobbed screw and the smaller allen screw.

The body of the clip guide is aluminum...at least a magnet doesn't stick.

Will post pics when I try it on the Mini and the Ranch.

Wondering if the allen screw is actually made to fit the new Ranch rifles with the threaded scope bases on the receivers.

Is this current production? If anyone has an original Fed Ord clip guide I'd appreciate it if you could post a picture to compare.

YMMV

#150 ·
I'm guessing that set screw on the top piece is to be adjusted so it just supports the guide. It should just touch the top of the receiver like some scope bases do for M1A's that attach to the receiver's side. Makes everything more solid and is adjustable for variances in specs..

#152 · (Edited)
Here's the pics I promised:

182:

It does work:

Note: The screws and the side plate are steel - the body of the guide appears to be aluminum. I tested with a magnet.

Will not fit the Ranch - maybe with some grinding? No, No - the clip guide not the receiver...:D

Dropped the R1 onto the Mini to check co-witness - no interference from the clip guide - I like 1/3 co-witness same as my ARs with red dots:

#154 ·
Dremel could be your friend...or not.

Note that my extended scope ring on the Ranch has been ground to clear the rear sight.

I think I messed up as it seems like there was very little if any at all that needed to be removed.

Oh well! I can always say it's a "custom" scope ring.:D

And if anyone remembers the saga of my front sight removal - under the Choate A2 front sight/FH is a "nice" jagged cut in the barrel.

Dremeled off the factory front sight - machinist who mounted the Choate had a good laugh when he saw the cut. Luckily - he shortened the barrel so the Choate covered up my mistake.

YMMV

#156 ·
I have a 180 and a 184 series mini-14.

do you guys think the stripper clip guide in post #152 would work on my rifles?

Thanks
Not sure on the 180 but should work on the 184 just like on my 182. As shown in my pictures above - the stripper clip guide will not work on a Ranch - at least not on my Ranch.

Only thing is I think this is a Fed Ord guide and it's been out of production for many years.

Just lucked out on an online auction:) - the guy had more than one and I should have bought whatever he had at the time.:(

YMMV

#159 ·
Stripper Guide for 5819

I made my stripper clip guide for my Tactical 5819 Mini 14 to see if it could work by offsetting it enough to pass by the ejector that sticks out in the way of a straight in feed. The stripper just slides by the ejector, but in order for it to feed smoothly I need to remove about .200 thousands off the left side of the stripper rail for a J type of feed into the magazine and thus go around that ejector. This is no problem for me because I have my own machine shop, but it prevents this design from being a commercial option. But for me I can set up my bridgeport and modify 50 stripper clips rather quickly, which is more ammunition than I would ever need to carry. Oh, yes and it is made from 303 stainless steel to match my rifle and I will soon blast it to match the texture.

Attachments

#160 ·
(long time lurker) has this project died? it looked so promising. FFulmer, how did you go about making yours? It looks low profile and simple. im thinking maybe even taking a spoon and modifying it to work... it just wouldnt be pretty. i was hopeing someone was gonna come out with something... it is after january...

#161 ·
It doesn't look good.

I have the Ranch Rifle model and it has a fixed ejector sitting right in the way, preventing a straight feed to the center of the magazine. If it was able to be centered it would feed with stock strippers and I would be building a mold that made them from a Black Nylon (supper tough) material. Making the price real inexpensive, but it was not to be. I assume the older models have a button ejector in the bolt allowing them to be center feed from a stripper clip. We had the M-14's in Vietnam before they replaced them with the M-16 but I can't remember what the ejector looked like. Too long ago!

#162 · (Edited)
i was screwing around with my ranch rifle and my spoon.(stripper guide) i am trying to figure out if i can basically cut it down and bend it, than bolt through it into the scope mount. basically holding the spoon upside down roughly where it would fit. It seems like holding it JUST off center and i mean Just, that wouldnt impede the feeding of the magazine from the stripper clip. I lined up the outside edge of the spoon with the edge of the ejector. the actual clip slides right by the ejector and it seems like it will feed with no issues. i was able to get it to feed fairly easy. When i get some time after work maybe ill destroy my spoon figuring it out and ill be sure to take photos. If it doesnt work, at least its not too much of a loss.
Your issue is not feeding directly into the center, you think feeding it Just off center(probably something like your .200 thousands) would really be an issue?

#163 ·
I found on my rifle that the stripper clip set on top of the magazine lip and their was not enough room for the shell to clear the lip and pass off the stripper. If I made my guide higher for the dimples on the stripper to stop it where it should my guide would be so high it would interfere with the sights. Because it has to be offset I couldn't cut through like the center feed ones could. Let me know how you make out.

#164 ·
It looks like the newer Ranch rifles had their ejector changed to eject the case out from under a low mounted scope. That change does eject the case out real smart, but it looks like the older mini 14's are better for adding a stripper guide just like it's big brother the M-14. With two drilled and taped 5-40 holes on top of the receiver it would be solid, clean and reliable. But the new models have the ejector in the way and with the older models out of production, it wouldn't pay for me to tool up to produce them for only the older version.

#166 ·
Thats too bad. Im waiting till i have a little time... maybe sunday where i can make (or completely botch) a quick guide from an existing spoon. Im telling you i think it will work, at least on my rifle, it seemed that the clips JUST bypassed the ejector on my rifle... But.... we will see when i actually get around to it. I may be missing some other problem, or just be plane wrong.

#167 ·
so. I went down stairs to the basement and took a dremil to one of the 223 guides/spoons. It turns out you cant bend that metal very well, i snapped one trying, than decided maybe a little heat would work. Still snapped where i tried bending it.
I JB welded (since i dont weld and welding such a small piece might be problamatic anyway) the little piece of the guide to a 2nd piece i cut to length and drilled two holes in to mount to the rear sight post. I JB Welded the guide piece just high enough for the bolt to pass under, and Just offset enough to bypass the ejector.
The JB Weld didnt hold up and i knew it wasnt going to. BUT! It did show me that by offsetting the guide just a hair off center this would work. I was able to feed 1.5 strippers before the "weld" snapped I was surprised it lasted that long being as flimsy as it was.

The Glide that Ffulmer made above, (mounted to the rear sight on his ranch) would work it you offset the guide. If i had the capability to do that, i definitely would.

#168 ·
I did offset the guide just enough for the stripper to just slide past the ejector. But the offset has the stripper stopping on top of the magazine (lip). With not enough room for the shell to leave the stripper and set on top of the magazine. The only other possibility is to angle the guide so as to pass under the stripper and/or nip a little off the tip of the ejector. I will look at it again as soon as I get a chance. I have a new "part" designed for work that I must prototype first.

#170 ·
Wow yours looks a lot tighter than mine. I recently put a new ejector in, it's still a lot looser than that. I wonder if mine not being that tight has caused my ejection problems.

Edit, i realized my ejector comes out as far as possible, just about touches the inside of that notch in the bolt. I wonder why yours is so tight.

#171 ·
TheTez
One thing I do not have is ejection problems, it throws the brass half way out into the field. Your ejector is fixed, but maybe they are falling out of the extractor before they hit the ejector. That would cause the brass case to fall limp. Check the fit of the rim under the extractor and it could be the brass is your problem and not the rifle at all.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.