Perfect Union banner

Mini 14 GB front sight base/ bayo lug

5K views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  Coletrain 
#1 ·
M-14 sight base/bayo lug for the mini-14....I have been wanting one, but they are not made in any numbers. So, I decided to call Accuracy Systems to see if they had one to sell. He called and was more than willing to help. He is going to start looking into making these for us. He said to have any of you guys that wants one to email him with the size you need. You can ask any questions you have about them at that point. He did mention maybe making them out of aluminum alloy as well as steel, so I would mention which material you would prefer as well. His email is.... accuracyinc1 at aol dot com , you will need to change the "at" for the @ symbol and the "dot" for the . ,or you can go to their web site and email through it at http://www.mini14tactical.com/ I am just relaying the message for him, but I will answer any questions the best I can. It would be best to email him to let him know you are interested so he will go forward with this project. He did not mention a price yet, he is just starting to look at making them for us. I will update this thread with any new info I get on these. Please guys, if you are maybe interested in one, email him to let him know. Thanks

#2 ·
If anyone wants one please speak up and contact accuracy systems so they will know that there are a fair number of us that want one, or maybe even two. The ability to have interchangable front site blades from the m-14, much better than factory blade, and the lug for a bayonet. They look very slick and improve function too. Here is a picture of one installed.

Attachments

#3 ·
Hey Hytek,

Thanks for starting this effort. But I am not getting the full picture on this sight you're trying to get built. This is a front sight only? Somehow this is related to an M14 style sight? You mention ability to have interchangeable front site blades with the M14. I do not know much about the M14. Can you explain more? Or give some links with more photos? (The photo you posted helps only a little - not very big either.) What kinds of M14 blades are there?

#4 ·
OK, I will try to explain it better. First, it has the bayonet lug, so you can attach a blade, second, the sight base that takes m-14 front sight blades, the ruger front sight leaves a lot to be desired for most people. The m-14 has several blades to pic from, like the thin, precise match sight blade, wider battle blade for faster aiming, there are a couple different blades that activly glow in the dark for night applications as well as daytime too. The night sights are available in a dot or a line/blade configuration. With the m-14 sight base you can swap around to find the sight that you like best or works best in a given situation. You can get short sight blades, standard, tall, or you can customize one by filing it down. There are a few other options like one I recently saw that is a cross-hair type you can put on the sight base. I am sure there is more, just can't remember them all right now. I will put a link to another thread about the same type of custom made m14 sight base/bayo lug that I am talking about here. If I am not mistaking, it will be identical to the one in this other thread too, except the guy that was gonna make them in the other thread only made a few and has quit making them. There should be several more pictures in that thread as well. I hope this answered your questions. If not, just let me know and I will try to do so. Here is the link to the other thread..... http://www.perfectunion.com/vb/ruger-mini-14-mini-30/69913.htm

Hytek

#5 ·
I want one. I am going with a Mo Reaper right now, but when I have great west cut down my barrel I want to install an M14 style setup. A key setup would be the M14 base for the m14 sights, with a shoulder to accept an AR 15 flash hider that could be correctly be torqued down. Or even better, a pin to allow an AK style, pin sight.

What do I do to get in touch with accuracy systems and throw my ideas at them?

#7 ·
I want one. I am going with a Mo Reaper right now, but when I have great west cut down my barrel I want to install an M14 style setup. A key setup would be the M14 base for the m14 sights, with a shoulder to accept an AR 15 flash hider that could be correctly be torqued down. Or even better, a pin to allow an AK style, pin sight.

What do I do to get in touch with accuracy systems and throw my ideas at them?
All you need to do is send them an email. I would also put a phone number in the email so he can give you a call to talk more about the details. You can go to their website for his email address, or get it off of this thread too.
Hytekrednek

#8 ·
Hytek,

Great; thanks.

I checked out the link you gave to the 2009 Brobee thread. That looks pretty good!

Does your sight base have the dovetail, like Brobee's?

I have one of the newer GBs, with the factory flash hider. What is that flash hider you show in your picture? Did your GB have the factory flash hider? I noticed the thickening taper barrel toward the forestock, so you do have one of the newer series.

Is there any particular reason you push the sight base/bayo lug all the way back toward the forestock? The second post in the Brobee thread complains that the front sight is too far back toward the receiver: http://www.perfectunion.com/vb/532927-post2.htm
I agree with Mr. GB. He said
by Mr. GB; 04-17-2009
I own two older Mini GB folders (very cool) and have concluded that the reason they are less accurate than the standard mini is because of the shorter sight radius. The sight radius being shorter because the bayo lug is pushed back to accommodate the bayonet. The newer 580 series has the heavier barrel with the sight pushed out to the end (longer radius). These two additions are both important components to increased accuracy.

but BuffDragon; 04-21-2009 clarifies:
To be clear for those looking at possibly doing this or purchasing older GB's, the shorter sight radius is harder to shoot, not inherently less accurate. Placement of the sight doesnt affect how the rifle shoots (per se), but does affect how you will potentially shoot the rifle.
Any reason I can't have a sight base out at the end of the muzzle (jam-up against the back of the flash hider)?

#9 ·
The picture I posted is just one from accuracy system's web site that showed the sight base/bayo lug. I guess you could butt it against the flash hider, but the bayo lug would be useless. It just depends on what is more important to you, the sight radius, or the bayonet capability. I agree, a longer sight radius is better, but to me, on a short/medium range gun, the few inches that is lost in sight radius is made up for with a better front blade, plus the bayo capability. The irons are gonna be back-ups for if the scope fails for me, so it is not as critical to have the longer radius. I don't think there is a "best" set-up, just personal preferences and different set-ups for different conditions.

#10 ·
Just to be clear, this is not my design. It is what I told Accuracy Systems that I wanted, and several others seem to want one too. I think the one AS is going to make is going to be identical to brobee's part.
The sight length/radius is a valid point, I guess you could mill the dovetail off and just use it for the bayonet lug if you just wanted to keep your sights as they were but add the lug. That is the beauty of customization shops, they can almost do whatever you want.

#11 ·
I have not heard anything yet about these sight bases. I will email and try to get some more details on when they will be available. If you want one, please at least post here so ASI knows that there is some interest and will be motivated to make them for us. Calling ASI about the sight base is what he prefers, but please at least post your desire to have one here. Thanks

#17 ·
Machining these from a block of stainless steel is quite time consuming and costly, but let me look into "lost wax". I can make a mold to cast the wax if I can find someone to pour them. The problem is we only need a few pieces, I wouldn't expect much volume. Sometimes small companies will add your parts to a run they are doing for someone else.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.