Ruger Mini-14 and Mini-30 Ruger Mini-14 and Mini-30 family of rifles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2012, 22:52   #26
wxl
Points: 5,933, Level: 49 Points: 5,933, Level: 49 Points: 5,933, Level: 49
Activity: 7.3% Activity: 7.3% Activity: 7.3%
Last Achievements

Originally Posted by Holmes375 View Post
Lucifer's Hammer is indeed a classic and the tome that started it all.

A current fictional account I would recommend is One Second After by William Forstchen.
One Second After: William R. Forstchen, Newt Gingrich: 9780765317582: Amazon.com: Books
I'll look it up. Always looking for a good book to read while curled up with my Mini.
wxl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 00:02   #27
Points: 9,742, Level: 66 Points: 9,742, Level: 66 Points: 9,742, Level: 66
Activity: 1.1% Activity: 1.1% Activity: 1.1%
Last Achievements

I came to the same conculesion you have. The MINI 14 is the best SHTF rifle for the money.
Magog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 00:13   #28
Points: 41,546, Level: 100 Points: 41,546, Level: 100 Points: 41,546, Level: 100
Activity: 78.0% Activity: 78.0% Activity: 78.0%
Last Achievements

Originally Posted by wxl View Post
I'll look it up. Always looking for a good book to read while curled up with my Mini.
You won't regret it. Lucifer's Hammer was the book that got me thinking along the SHTF lines back when it first came out.
grumpy_old_man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 00:15   #29
Points: 41,546, Level: 100 Points: 41,546, Level: 100 Points: 41,546, Level: 100
Last Achievements

Originally Posted by Magog View Post
I came to the same conculesion you have. The MINI 14 is the best SHTF rifle for the money.
Hey Magog, I seem to remember that you were doing good work with red dot sights on your mini. On the 'best bang for the buck' theme, can you recommend a good sight/mount for the mini? Hopefully one I can't wreck too easily....

All the best,
Grumpy
Old 11-06-2012, 05:02   #30
Points: 1,188, Level: 18 Points: 1,188, Level: 18 Points: 1,188, Level: 18
Activity: 13.0% Activity: 13.0% Activity: 13.0%
Last Achievements

Originally Posted by chill1955 View Post

But I'm curious as to what you guys imagine when someone says SHTF scenario.
Depends on where you live, could be as simple as people (gangs) raiding houses for food, money, whatever... to all-out urban warfare. Here's a very interesting hypothesis on the subject...

Bracken: When The Music Stops – How America’s Cities May Explode In Violence | Western Rifle Shooters Association

...and if the SHTF, there won't BE enough law enforcement to keep order. There isn't enough NOW. LEO don't stop crime, they just write the reports after the fact. In an urban environment, there will be more illegal guns and legal guns than all the LEO and National Guard combined.

It's like homeowner's insurance... you buy really good HOI, hoping you never need it, but are really glad you "prepped" when the situation arises that you DO need it.
ruger9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 17:45   #31
Points: 1,203, Level: 19 Points: 1,203, Level: 19 Points: 1,203, Level: 19
Activity: 3.8% Activity: 3.8% Activity: 3.8%
Last Achievements

I have both a mini 30 and an SGL21. I love them both, and would be happy with either rifle. Honestly.. I'd take anything over nothing. Buy the gun you can afford to purchase, care for, and feed!!
Emptyclips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 23:09   #32
Registered Member
Points: 31, Level: 1 Points: 31, Level: 1 Points: 31, Level: 1
Activity: 3.3% Activity: 3.3% Activity: 3.3%

I went ahead and bought a Mini 14 ranch rifle in stainless and a gray laminate stock. It's really nice. I wanted the tactical version in stainless, but Ruger said they only make those if someone orders a large quantity.

I think the Mini will serve my wife and I well. My wife is one of the main reasons why I bought the Mini. It is almost like my 10/22 and she understands it and shoots it well. I have a hard enough time getting her to shoot the 10/22. I don't think I would be able get her to learn a new gun like an AR, anyway. I'm sure it would be intimidating to her.

Now that Obummer won again, I guess we are that much closer to a shtf situation. It probably won't even happen in the next 4 years, but he is definitely accelerating us down the slippery slope. We can't keep heading the way we are and not have it come to a head some time. This country can't stand forever if we keep going this direction. When we go down, the world will go down.

Who knows what form a shtf situation will happen. Like Chilly said, it might be a fart in the fan. I want to be ready for a small situation or a big one. I don't plan on being an "avenging sniper of the resistance". I plan on holing up and guarding what's mine to the best of my ability. It is very likely that there will be gangs running around looting. They are doing it right now where Hurricane Sandy tore them up and that is a minor disruption. There aren't enough cops to protect everyone. It is up to everyone to be self-reliant. If more people were, there would be a lot fewer suffering inthe Northeast right now while they wait for the government to take care of them.

A shtf situation might be a small one where only me or my family is involved and you will have no knowledge of it. There are plenty of bad guys out there. A situation might be a natural disaster and I have to pack up and leave. I need protection when heading off into an unfamiliar places. Or, the situation might be huge, and all of us are involved. Isn't it the best policy to be ready for what life has to throw at you?

It is late and I think I'm rambling. Sorry for that. Anyway, I got a new cool gun and I'm excited!
Fastford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 23:47   #33
Points: 395, Level: 7 Points: 395, Level: 7 Points: 395, Level: 7
Activity: 8.2% Activity: 8.2% Activity: 8.2%
Last Achievements

When it hits there will not be any time to prepare but to defend or seek shelter. I live in small town so not worried about a mob but a car load of scavengers or military type. Right now my mini14 and it's ammo is ready if need just as my 12ga is and my .45. I will defend myself, my family and anyone else in need or their livestock/land.
ringo63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 07:14   #34
Points: 6,866, Level: 54 Points: 6,866, Level: 54 Points: 6,866, Level: 54
Activity: 29.0% Activity: 29.0% Activity: 29.0%
Last Achievements

Like others have suggested, I think it depends where you live. I have mini 30, Ithica deerslayer slug gun, a 40cal pistol, and about to get a ruger 10/22 breakdown.
Given my area, protein will be mainly supplied by squirrel and possum. If I had to choose one, it would be the .22. You can carry thousands of rounds and store 10s of thousands.
A 22 might not be a man stopper, but accurate fast fire is easy with no recoil. 10 HPs are. Modern 22 hollow points are not BBs.
I'll snare larger game. Time spent will be better used farming, not hours in the woods in hopes of a deer or pig, which everyone else will be doing.
Old 11-07-2012, 07:32   #35
Last Achievements

Sandy (and Katrina before it) should be all anyone needs to realize how bad things COULD get... it's not the storm, it's the inability of the govt to help that many people... and frankly, it would be unreasonable to expect them to be able to. But even inland NJ is still seeing people without power/heat, and gas lines. This 9 days after the storm, my county is still 25% without power. People have been displaced, (the people on the shore have lost everything), and there was some looting in Staten Island, which was devastated.

People can make fun of "prepping" all they want, but it's serious business- especially if you have kids. Regardless if the threat is bad guys, the govt coming after your guns, the weather, complete loss of everything you own and where you live.... it still all comes down to being prepared.
Old 11-07-2012, 07:34   #36
Last Achievements

Originally Posted by KingANuthin View Post
A 22 might not be a man stopper, but accurate fast fire is easy with no recoil. 10 HPs are. Modern 22 hollow points are not BBs.
That's a very good point. While I wouldn't rely on it as my main SHTF rifle, it'll be nice to have in the arsenal. I was lusting after a Golden Boy, but I think it's gonna have to be a 10/22 instead...
Old 11-07-2012, 09:32   #37
Last Achievements

Originally Posted by ruger9 View Post
Sandy (and Katrina before it) should be all anyone needs to realize how bad things COULD get... it's not the storm, it's the inability of the govt to help that many people... and frankly, it would be unreasonable to expect them to be able to. But even inland NJ is still seeing people without power/heat, and gas lines. This 9 days after the storm, my county is still 25% without power. People have been displaced, (the people on the shore have lost everything), and there was some looting in Staten Island, which was devastated.

People can make fun of "prepping" all they want, but it's serious business- especially if you have kids. Regardless if the threat is bad guys, the govt coming after your guns, the weather, complete loss of everything you own and where you live.... it still all comes down to being prepared.
"Prepping" is such a stupid word. I call it a basic instinct of survival of a species on the planet earth. Prior to the last 40 years, preppers were known as people.

I could not believe seeing people scream for government help after 3 days... 3 days. Not what I saw in Joplin, or my community in Florida. We just fix it.
Old 11-07-2012, 09:35   #38
Last Achievements

That's a very good point. While I wouldn't rely on it as my main SHTF rifle, it'll be nice to have in the arsenal. I was lusting after a Golden Boy, but I think it's gonna have to be a 10/22 instead...
I had a friend ask me what I would want for the zombie apocalypse. I told him a 22. He looked at me like I was crazy. I asked "what in zombie lore suggest a .22 to the brain wouldn't work?"
Old 11-07-2012, 10:06   #39
Last Achievements

Originally Posted by KingANuthin View Post
"Prepping" is such a stupid word. I call it a basic instinct of survival of a species on the planet earth.
Maybe, but everything has to be called something, and it's much easier to type than your word(s) for it.
Old 11-07-2012, 13:05   #40
Last Achievements

Maybe, but everything has to be called something, and it's much easier to type than your word(s) for it.
True. Prepper it is.
Old 11-07-2012, 16:00   #41
wxl
Points: 5,933, Level: 49 Points: 5,933, Level: 49 Points: 5,933, Level: 49
Activity: 7.3% Activity: 7.3% Activity: 7.3%
Last Achievements

[QUOTE=Fastford;739003]I went ahead and bought a Mini 14 ranch rifle in stainless and a gray laminate stock. It's really nice. I wanted the tactical version in stainless, but Ruger said they only make those if someone orders a large quantity.

I think the Mini will serve my wife and I well. My wife is one of the main reasons why I bought the Mini. It is almost like my 10/22 and she understands it and shoots it well. I have a hard enough time getting her to shoot the 10/22. I don't think I would be able get her to learn a new gun like an AR, anyway. I'm sure it would be intimidating to her.

Congratulations, you'll love the Mini. Women also love the simplicity of the Mini. It's my daughter's favorite gun and she's deadly with it out to 300 yds.
wxl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 16:19   #42
Points: 16,063, Level: 81 Points: 16,063, Level: 81 Points: 16,063, Level: 81
Activity: 17.1% Activity: 17.1% Activity: 17.1%
Last Achievements

DPMS Sporticals at Wally world for $597. Put a $100 scope on it and you are shooting real close to the price of a Mini. kwg
kwg020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 17:32   #43
Points: 8,837, Level: 63 Points: 8,837, Level: 63 Points: 8,837, Level: 63
Activity: 8.5% Activity: 8.5% Activity: 8.5%
Last Achievements

Go over to Rimfire Central and see what people say about shooting speed of the Henry Levers. Its ridiculous.

Its no short stroke, competition lever....but the lever is extremely slick.

2 MOA at 50 is acheivable with cheap ammo. It holds 16 LRs, or a whopping 21 shorts

I went for the Frontier. Less drop in the stock and a black reciever. I'm not really into the whole bling thing.

They are great guns, economical, and soo much fun to shoot. Much more fun than shooting a semi auto IMHO.

You really have to shoot it to understand how much fun it is.
Savage Mark II FVT
Pet-Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 19:02   #44
Points: 1,734, Level: 24 Points: 1,734, Level: 24 Points: 1,734, Level: 24
Activity: 11.5% Activity: 11.5% Activity: 11.5%
Last Achievements

I wasnt making fun of people being prepared . I was pointing out there are alot of people who have a very distorted view of what does and does not happen when there is a major disturbance. usually you see a thread start with something like I have my ar , mini 14 or 870 for the close in stuff but I want a long range rifle incase of shtf stuff . that is where the super sniper stuff I find so humorus comes into play . I was in mississippi after katrina . we were took to our work area by bus every day and then shuttled back to a man camp at quiting time . even with all the destruction and mischief going on there was a leo presence hence my warning about just blazing away unjustified . there were also alot of private collections confiscated and people disarmed as they tried to get back to there homes . that was just my experience .
as far as being prepared goes I moved to a very rural area and practice preparedness every day . we have enough food and medical supplies to last us a long time . we forage food plants and animals have our own chickens , starting to raise rabbits can food bake our own bread . my wife makes her own soap powders and I maintain all the tools needed for daily life . a recent personal calamity was a major wind storm and I had to use my chain saws and pickup to cut through 1/4 mile of timber blowed across our lane just to reach the county road.
so by all means dont take my remarks about people with zombie apocalipse to heart . I wasnt inferring anybody here was whacko .
jwb47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 19:19   #45
Points: 1,734, Level: 24 Points: 1,734, Level: 24 Points: 1,734, Level: 24
Activity: 11.5% Activity: 11.5% Activity: 11.5%
Last Achievements

Originally Posted by kwg020 View Post
DPMS Sporticals at Wally world for $597. Put a $100 scope on it and you are shooting real close to the price of a Mini. kwg
I certainly dont have a rub with the dpms sportical but if I was going to use it for self defense of myself and my family I would not slap a 100.00 scope on it . I would put more faith in my mini-14 with iron sights. that being said when I have the need to remove a threat to my property or animals ( coyotes , feral hogs, wild dogs , bobcats and that damn bigfoot who keeps eating my beef jerky ) I tend to grab my 458 socom.
jwb47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 20:28   #46
Last Achievements

Originally Posted by Fastford View Post
I went ahead and bought a Mini 14 ranch rifle in stainless and a gray laminate stock. It's really nice. I wanted the tactical version in stainless, but Ruger said they only make those if someone orders a large quantity.

Now that Obummer won again, I guess we are that much closer to a shtf situation. It probably won't even happen in the next 4 years, but he is definitely accelerating us down the slippery slope. We can't keep heading the way we are and not have it come to a head some time. This country can't stand forever if we keep going this direction. When we go down, the world will go down.

Who knows what form a shtf situation will happen. Like Chilly said, it might be a fart in the fan. I want to be ready for a small situation or a big one. I don't plan on being an "avenging sniper of the resistance". I plan on holing up and guarding what's mine to the best of my ability. It is very likely that there will be gangs running around looting. They are doing it right now where Hurricane Sandy tore them up and that is a minor disruption. There aren't enough cops to protect everyone. It is up to everyone to be self-reliant. If more people were, there would be a lot fewer suffering inthe Northeast right now while they wait for the government to take care of them.

A shtf situation might be a small one where only me or my family is involved and you will have no knowledge of it. There are plenty of bad guys out there. A situation might be a natural disaster and I have to pack up and leave. I need protection when heading off into an unfamiliar places. Or, the situation might be huge, and all of us are involved. Isn't it the best policy to be ready for what life has to throw at you?

It is late and I think I'm rambling. Sorry for that. Anyway, I got a new cool gun and I'm excited!
Glad to see that you got a mini that is making you Plenty happened last night that put a different look on me...still in shock like its a waking nightmare today.

On SHTF, yes last nights disaster has brought us measurably closer to some pretty unpleasant futures. Still hoping for the quiet life over here, but am looking into PVC pipe and relocating at least part of my goodies so all my eggs are not in one basket.

On the happy topic of your new Mini, after you use it a bit you may consider the following mods -
1. Tech Sights rear sight. HIGHLY recommended if you are staying with irons.
2. Accu-strut. Once you get a feel for the inherent accuracy of your system if you want to improve it, this is one of the better bang for buck mods.
3. Folding stock (as an accessory). One of my bail out minis has a Butler Creek folder, and I may update it later, maybe. The reason to lay one in sooner than later is that if there is another AWB these would pretty certainly be affected. Main advantage is that you can break it down into an admirably short package.
4. Fed-ord or Choate front handguard. Stronger than the Ruger stock handguard and frankly better looking.
5. If you don't have a sling now, get one. Particularly in a bug out situation the ability to carry your rifle conveniently is a MUST.
6. Magazines! The Ruger 20 rounders are my favorites, but I have also had good luck with Pro-mag 20 rounders (not so hot on their 30 rounders though). Since mags are going to be front and center on the bad guys' radar these are a MUST.
7. A good stock of M193 or M855 ball ammo. Around here Wally world and Academy have the best prices, but shop around to see where you can get the best deals. Then buy it cheap and stack it deep!

Enjoy your new blaster!
All the best,
Grumpy
Old 11-08-2012, 04:42   #47
Last Achievements

Originally Posted by Pet-Rock View Post
Go over to Rimfire Central and see what people say about shooting speed of the Henry Levers. Its ridiculous.

Its no short stroke, competition lever....but the lever is extremely slick.

2 MOA at 50 is acheivable with cheap ammo. It holds 16 LRs, or a whopping 21 shorts

I went for the Frontier. Less drop in the stock and a black reciever. I'm not really into the whole bling thing.

They are great guns, economical, and soo much fun to shoot. Much more fun than shooting a semi auto IMHO.

You really have to shoot it to understand how much fun it is.
I shot a friend's Golden Boy. And I still want one. But with a tube-fed magazine, I'd still rather have a 10/22 with the BX-25 mags (25 rnds) if I ever need to use it defensively.

And I'd like to shoulder a Frontier AND a GB together- I have no idea which comb would fit me better, I don't remember noticing the GB's comb felt "weird" to me, but I'd like to shoulder both nonetheless. Black or brass, no matter to me... but I DO want the octagon barrel
Old 11-09-2012, 16:47   #48
Points: 11,099, Level: 69 Points: 11,099, Level: 69 Points: 11,099, Level: 69
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Last Achievements

Originally Posted by bulletjunkie View Post
i suggest if you buy a mini 14, you say you lost your bolt and send it in to ruger to have them fit you a complete new one, test it at the range, and put it in storage and use the other one, the rest of the parts can be purchased of midwayusa, i am not sure how much it would cost, but some say it was free for them, personally i would pay up to 150 for a spare bolt. other than that you will good for a while, most pins last 10000 rounds, the way ammo is priced i doubt you will fire that many, unless you use steel, it will be more rough on your bolt.

Would that bolt come complete with firing pin and everything installed? Thats a good idea, because I have nearly lost the bolt on mine, and I think I may lose it again(I'm so forgetful with where I put things...)
Old 11-11-2012, 00:38   #49
Points: 580, Level: 11 Points: 580, Level: 11 Points: 580, Level: 11
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Last Achievements

10/22 is right up there - easy to find ammo for, reliable, and accurate...
general_disarray_prk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 22:59   #50
Points: 9,742, Level: 66 Points: 9,742, Level: 66 Points: 9,742, Level: 66
Activity: 1.1% Activity: 1.1% Activity: 1.1%
Last Achievements

Originally Posted by grumpy_old_man View Post
Hey Magog, I seem to remember that you were doing good work with red dot sights on your mini. On the 'best bang for the buck' theme, can you recommend a good sight/mount for the mini? Hopefully one I can't wreck too easily....

All the best,
Grumpy

After running the numbers and how much money I would spend on batteries to equal the life of an Amipoint I went Amipoint 9000sc for 390 bucks.

I just got a Ultimak rail and used the same low rings the aimpoint came with to keep it low so I can co whitness the dot with my iron sights.

It works great.
Magog is offline   Reply With Quote