Perfect Union banner

Prematurely Opening?

2K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  COBrien 
#1 ·
i run 2 blue WC 1911 buffers (not sanded, full thickness, in my mini 14 ranch rifle. everything works fine, no cycling probs, eeding issues etc.
but one thought came to my mind, hoe you can help me with that:

the rearward movement of the slide assembly (due to the added thickness of the WC buffer on the gas pipe) is a little less than without the buffer, so will the bolt unlock prematurely and is this dangerous?

the bolt locks completly into place and the slide assy has play, before rotating the bolt. but less play than before (due to the buffer).

i read that hundreds of users have 2 WC 1911 buffers installed in their minis, so i guess prematurely unlocking / opening of the bolt is no problem, but what would you say?

#8 ·
thanks bolero, that calms me down.
i see nothing to worry about, no firing out of battery is possible.
but this is not my real worry. i know that the bolt is locked while firing.
at the moment the FP strikes the primer the bolt is completly locked (with and without buffer on the gaspipe), so far so good.
but will the bolt be locked as long as without the buffer, 'cause the gas moves the slide assembly backwards and this (after a short period of time) also moves the bolt backwards (after unlocking it). the period of time, or better the way/distance the slide assembly moves without unlocking the bolt, is now a little bit shorter, due to the buffer on the gasplug (or am i wrong here?).
so the period the bolt is and stays locked has to be a little shorter than without the buffer, right?

#9 ·
but will the bolt be locked as long as without the buffer, 'cause the gas moves the slide assembly backwards and this (after a short period of time) also moves the bolt backwards (after unlocking it). the period of time, or better the way/distance the slide assembly moves without unlocking the bolt, is now a little bit shorter, due to the buffer on the gasplug (or am i wrong here?).

I'm not sure I understand your concern. The action won't cycle until the bullet passes the gas port. The round is gone and you action cycles, it doesn't care about a little less travel.

Stop fretting, its fine.

#10 ·
The bullet is long gone out of the barrel by the time the action begins to move. Is your concern excessive blow back from the chamber due to the action having less space than from the factory to move due to the buffers? If you haven't had any experienced any blow back then it shouldn't be a problem. More than likely the buffers are taking the excess slop out of the movement but, still allowing the gun to function has origionally designed.

#11 ·
@bolero:
that resolves all my doubts, thanks buddy

@j-place:
"Is your concern excessive blow back from the chamber due to the action having less space than from the factory to move due to the buffers?"

exactly that sir, glad you found the right words for me. also i fear a higher gas blowback / higher gas pressure on the primer / the bolts face and so on the tip of the FP.

had some burr on the FP tip and 2 pierced primers after firing some rds. with the xtra power spring an the 2 buffers, but i don't really know for sure, perhaps the burr (which most likely caused the pierced primers) was there before the buffers/spring installation also and was just a matter of wear out. so it also could be pure coincidence too.

#12 ·
I beleive I understand your concern about the shorter time period of the bolt opening. But look at all possibilities, with the buffers installed the slide is backed away from the gas block, this creates more volume space for the gas to fill before pressure builds high enough to move the slide. my opion- you have not changed the timing of the slide by any signifigent amount. I am not an expert and it has many years since physics class.

#14 ·
IMO, the heavier spring is unnecessary, with or without buffers.

I've always been of the philosophy that springs shouldn't be changed unless they're worn out -- they are setup the way they are for a good reason. Even when they are worn out, they should be replaced with factory parts, not some "hotrod super-dooper titanium-coated double-platinum-plated Kryptonite-core" springs.

But, then again, I'm used to 1911s, where a change in spring weight can cause a Swiss watch to choke or turn a Jam-O-Matic into a Singer sewing machine. Like my grandfather always used to say: "If it's running fine now, all you're gonna do is make it not run." :lol:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.