Ruger Mini-14 and Mini-30 Ruger Mini-14 and Mini-30 family of rifles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2012, 13:22   #26
Odd Pachyderm thingy
Points: 13,533, Level: 75 Points: 13,533, Level: 75 Points: 13,533, Level: 75
Activity: 14.4% Activity: 14.4% Activity: 14.4%
Last Achievements

Originally Posted by ssb73q View Post
Hi Mr. S, when I first measured the trigger pull at 2.5lbs, I was a bit concerned too. However, after many hundred of rounds shot, the trigger is very robust and 100% reliable. True, I don't hunt with the Mini, but wouldn't have any issue using it for defense if needed, but I prefer my .308 for that application.

Safety? What's that? Does the Mini-14 have a safety? vbg

I only know the three safety rules for safe gun handling:
1. Always keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction.
2, Always keep ammunition out of the gun until ready to use it.
3, Always keep my finger off the trigger until ready to shoot.

If I hunted, I would learn about using a safety.

I agree with you that a 2.5lb trigger wouldn't be a good choice if hunting with a Mini-14.

Regards,

Richard
lol... agreed.

the ONLY reason I use the safety on my mini 30 in the field is because when in the bush, with the rifle slung - I'm afraid I'd get a branch or something caught in the trigger guard... and boom, the dreaded Accidental Discharge!

those 3 rules are good ones to live by -

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Mr. Snuffalupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 00:34   #27
Points: 1,847, Level: 25 Points: 1,847, Level: 25 Points: 1,847, Level: 25
Activity: 18.0% Activity: 18.0% Activity: 18.0%
Last Achievements

I use the 4 marine corps safety rules.
1. Treat every weapon as if it were loaded.
2. Never point a weapon at anything you do not intend to shoot.
3. Keep finger straight and off the trigger until you are ready to fire.
4. Keep weapon on safe until you intend to fire.
On an AR or Garand type safety, taking the weapon off safety is second nature when you want fire. Plus, alluding to the first, I call all guns a firearm or weapon, rather than gun, as in something that can kill rather than a paintball gun, squirt gun, nerf gun, etc...
And you can add in "know your target and what lies beyond and between" which aplies to both the current wars in Afghan and Iraq, and to hunting.
Neurotic Hapi Snak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 07:21   #28
Points: 1,644, Level: 23 Points: 1,644, Level: 23 Points: 1,644, Level: 23
Activity: 7.6% Activity: 7.6% Activity: 7.6%
Last Achievements

Hi NHS, while there are a lot of other safety rules that flow from the three basic safety rules, like treating all guns as if they are loaded and be aware of your backstop, etc., I only teach my students the three basic rules. The three rules are easy to remember.

I also don't let my students touch or even think about using a firearm safety. All mechanical devices can fail. Witness the accidental discharge issues of the Remington 700 safety. The best safety device is the 3lb mass between a shooters ears.

Having said that, I can understand the utility of using a firearm safety while hunting.

Regards,
Richard, NRA Certified Rifle Instructor
ssb73q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 14:13   #29
Points: 6,866, Level: 54 Points: 6,866, Level: 54 Points: 6,866, Level: 54
Activity: 29.0% Activity: 29.0% Activity: 29.0%
Last Achievements

I, respectfully, disagree. The safety of the Garand type trigger group can not fail. It's either there, or it's not... Unless there is some sort of sabotage. I use it every time I walk away from it at cold range. No mag, bolt open, and yes safety is on. Safety is more for who may grab my firearm than myself.
If it has been designed with a safety, it should be taught. Unless you are smarter than the designer.
Old 07-05-2012, 18:44   #30
wxl
Points: 5,732, Level: 48 Points: 5,732, Level: 48 Points: 5,732, Level: 48
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Last Achievements

Hey wxl or anyone else,

Which stone should i get to do this?

I used the Norton Hard Arkansas Ultra Fine. Here's the info from Midway.

Norton Hard Arkansas Sharpening Stone Triangle 3" x 1/4" Ultra-Fine Product #: 678053 Status: Available 5.0 stars (2) Reviews
$15.99
wxl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 21:52   #31
Points: 10,813, Level: 68 Points: 10,813, Level: 68 Points: 10,813, Level: 68
Activity: 19.5% Activity: 19.5% Activity: 19.5%
Last Achievements

Originally Posted by KingANuthin View Post
I, respectfully, disagree. The safety of the Garand type trigger group can not fail. It's either there, or it's not... Unless there is some sort of sabotage. I use it every time I walk away from it at cold range. No mag, bolt open, and yes safety is on. Safety is more for who may grab my firearm than myself.
If it has been designed with a safety, it should be taught. Unless you are smarter than the designer.
I agree with you 100%. If I was to ever go to a class and an instructor only taught 3 safety rules and not to touch or use a safety on a firearm equipped with one I would end that class immediately and report said instructor to whoever his certifying agency was.

I have been to numerous different classes including Gunsite Academy and have never heard of such nonsense. some of those instructors would either toss you or make you sit on the sidelines if they caught you with your safety in the fire position when it shouldn't be.
Old 07-07-2012, 14:59   #32
Points: 6,866, Level: 54 Points: 6,866, Level: 54 Points: 6,866, Level: 54
Activity: 29.0% Activity: 29.0% Activity: 29.0%
Last Achievements

I do understand the mentality though. You should never think that the gun will not go off if you pull the trigger because the safety is on. You should think "thank God I had the safety on while i was adjusting my shooting bag and that wasp stung me causing the rifle to fall and my hand grabbing the trigger trying to stop it from crashing to the ground. In short, weird **** happens, and a safety helps against "mayhem"
Old 07-07-2012, 15:33   #33
Points: 10,813, Level: 68 Points: 10,813, Level: 68 Points: 10,813, Level: 68
Activity: 19.5% Activity: 19.5% Activity: 19.5%
Last Achievements

Of coarse you should never put all your trust in the safety on a firearm, they are a mechanical device and can fail. But they are important, and one should get into the habit of using them automatically all the while following all the rules of safe gun handling.