Ruger Mini-14 and Mini-30 Ruger Mini-14 and Mini-30 family of rifles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2012, 06:53   #1
AK-47 Junkie
Points: 588, Level: 11 Points: 588, Level: 11 Points: 588, Level: 11
Activity: 99.0% Activity: 99.0% Activity: 99.0%
Last Achievements

mini 30 mag issue

i thought i posted this yesterday but i can't find the thread or find it under my latest posts. i apologize if its a duplicate.

i picked up a ten round mini 30 mag yesterday. what appealed to me is that in the democratic republic of new yorkistan ten round mage are the word of the day unless they are preban. unable to find preban 20's this puppy is 20 round size but only hold ten rounds. nice banana ak shape just smaller. no block on the bottom or signs of monkeying cutting down another mag. seemed all well and good.

popped it in my puppy. engaged easily but the slightest tap on the back and out she came. i figured it was obviously the locking "lug" on the back. easily resolved i figured. weld a bit more material. file smooth. drive home safely. no dice. i took the caliper to it. lug is same size as the mags that lock in tight. front hole is in same spot. same diameter.

what gives? any advise is much appreciated. i believe it says usa magazines or american on the bottom of the floor plate but don't hold me to it.
Old 05-18-2012, 10:56   #2
Points: 39,943, Level: 100 Points: 39,943, Level: 100 Points: 39,943, Level: 100
Activity: 12.1% Activity: 12.1% Activity: 12.1%
Last Achievements

Look at the lug again and see if it needs to be squared up with a file to get the latch to hold properly.
Old 05-20-2012, 17:24   #3
Points: 16,065, Level: 81 Points: 16,065, Level: 81 Points: 16,065, Level: 81
Activity: 77.3% Activity: 77.3% Activity: 77.3%
Last Achievements

Is the lug on the rear side a welded on flat metal piece or a 'dimple' stamped into the sheet at the (hopefully) correct location?
If the mag seems to 'barely' fit into position take a dark black permanent markerand rub a coating on the flat or 'dimple' and fit it to the mag well. Since this should indicate any interference that will have to be dealt with to ensure a complete lock-in, snug fit as of the pre-ban mags i sent to you rob.