Ruger Mini-14 and Mini-30 Ruger Mini-14 and Mini-30 family of rifles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2012, 11:57   #1
Points: 3,016, Level: 33 Points: 3,016, Level: 33 Points: 3,016, Level: 33
Activity: 4.5% Activity: 4.5% Activity: 4.5%
Last Achievements

For all that would like a new stock:

For all of you that would like to buy a new G.I. stock, and wood hand guards for the mini, Let's all write to Ironwood stock and ask them make it

IWDHome

What do ya think?
GreyWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 14:04   #2
Points: 1,678, Level: 23 Points: 1,678, Level: 23 Points: 1,678, Level: 23
Activity: 1.5% Activity: 1.5% Activity: 1.5%
Last Achievements

I'd be all for it, I'm a big fan of that classic look!
IslandTimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 14:33   #3
Last Achievements

Originally Posted by IslandTimes View Post
I'd be all for it, I'm a big fan of that classic look!
E-mail them and let them know, I did
Old 05-01-2012, 17:00   #4
Points: 4,044, Level: 40 Points: 4,044, Level: 40 Points: 4,044, Level: 40
Activity: 1.8% Activity: 1.8% Activity: 1.8%
Last Achievements

Gotta ask for EXACTLY what you want. You want the regular Mini rear sling point or do you want to use one from a Garand/M14/AR15? Curved plastic buttplate or the flat recoil pad? Standard (short) length of pull or longer?

If I didn't already do a walnut GI-style stock I'd like to use M1 Carbine buttplate, standard LOP, using a Garand/M14/AR15 rear sling loop. The M1 Carbine oiler cutout would be cool if not for the front sling loop being on the bottom.
Chilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 17:01   #5
Points: 4,044, Level: 40 Points: 4,044, Level: 40 Points: 4,044, Level: 40
Activity: 1.8% Activity: 1.8% Activity: 1.8%
Last Achievements

And since you can already get a walnut stock from Boyds why not focus on Ironwood making just walnut handguards?
Chilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 17:10   #6
Last Achievements

Originally Posted by Chilly View Post
And since you can already get a walnut stock from Boyds why not focus on Ironwood making just walnut handguards?
Good idea, but maybe we can get lucky and get both from them
Old 05-01-2012, 17:27   #7
Last Achievements

Originally Posted by Chilly View Post
Gotta ask for EXACTLY what you want. You want the regular Mini rear sling point or do you want to use one from a Garand/M14/AR15? Curved plastic buttplate or the flat recoil pad? Standard (short) length of pull or longer?

If I didn't already do a walnut GI-style stock I'd like to use M1 Carbine buttplate, standard LOP, using a Garand/M14/AR15 rear sling loop. The M1 Carbine oiler cutout would be cool if not for the front sling loop being on the bottom.
I like the idea of using M14/M16 rear sling loop.

Your right about using the M1 carbine type stock, the sling would once again be a problem.

The only other thing I can think of is to make the rear butt large enough to use the butt-plate from the M1 Garand, that way the the sling would work and we could supply our own if they couldn't.
Old 07-13-2012, 16:53   #8
Points: 157, Level: 3 Points: 157, Level: 3 Points: 157, Level: 3
Activity: 1.2% Activity: 1.2% Activity: 1.2%
Last Achievements

Message flagged Friday, July 13, 2012 7:50 PM I’m sure you know there are many people who are big fans of your stocks. You may also know that the Mini 14 is a hard rifle to find an aftermarket wood stock for. I would like to propose an idea for you to make one. The main design would be a classic sporter style, similar to the factory stock. Possibly with a little higher comb for scope use, as well as maybe a small increase in the size of the forearm area and pistol grip. The buttplate arrangement would preferably be a straight style with rubber butt pad fitted, approximately 5/16th of an inch thick with a 1/8th inch plastic pack. Maybe a red rubber pad on a black plastic spacer? In addition to this, the main selling point and key feature of the stock would be the wood of which it is made, Walnut. Walnut is the classic gun stock wood, and for years, mini 14 and mini 30 owners have been deprived of this option. Your company could corner this market and add another amazing product to your already fantastic line. In addition to walnut, I believe a plain beech laminate stock (The same material you use for your AK variety stocks) would sell quite well. If you would be willing to venture into this market, or have plans to, please let me know. I realize you are extremely busy at this time; however more business could never hurt. There is a large following for this product I assure you, and almost no supply for the demand. Please consider.

Sincerely,

Just sent to ironwood. Should have read the rest of the posts more and specified handguard and more details. Oh well. If I get an interested repply I'm certain more details would be discussed.

Last edited by TMILLER; 07-13-2012 at 16:53. Reason: dont want email in post
TMILLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 07:15   #9
Last Achievements

Originally Posted by TMILLER View Post
Message flagged Friday, July 13, 2012 7:50 PM Iím sure you know there are many people who are big fans of your stocks. You may also know that the Mini 14 is a hard rifle to find an aftermarket wood stock for. I would like to propose an idea for you to make one. The main design would be a classic sporter style, similar to the factory stock. Possibly with a little higher comb for scope use, as well as maybe a small increase in the size of the forearm area and pistol grip. The buttplate arrangement would preferably be a straight style with rubber butt pad fitted, approximately 5/16th of an inch thick with a 1/8th inch plastic pack. Maybe a red rubber pad on a black plastic spacer? In addition to this, the main selling point and key feature of the stock would be the wood of which it is made, Walnut. Walnut is the classic gun stock wood, and for years, mini 14 and mini 30 owners have been deprived of this option. Your company could corner this market and add another amazing product to your already fantastic line. In addition to walnut, I believe a plain beech laminate stock (The same material you use for your AK variety stocks) would sell quite well. If you would be willing to venture into this market, or have plans to, please let me know. I realize you are extremely busy at this time; however more business could never hurt. There is a large following for this product I assure you, and almost no supply for the demand. Please consider.

Sincerely,

Just sent to ironwood. Should have read the rest of the posts more and specified handguard and more details. Oh well. If I get an interested repply I'm certain more details would be discussed.
Good job man, thanks!
Hopefully you will hear something soon.
Old 07-14-2012, 07:49   #10
Points: 2,364, Level: 29 Points: 2,364, Level: 29 Points: 2,364, Level: 29
Activity: 22.5% Activity: 22.5% Activity: 22.5%
Last Achievements

Last edited by C.Montague; 08-02-2012 at 13:42.
C.Montague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 17:25   #11
Points: 3,392, Level: 36 Points: 3,392, Level: 36 Points: 3,392, Level: 36
Activity: 0.9% Activity: 0.9% Activity: 0.9%
Last Achievements

Originally Posted by C.Montague View Post
It would be perfect if there was an aftermarket stock that precisely duplicated, albeit on a reduced scale, the M-14 stock along with a Bakelite or composite handguard just like on the M-14. Which one of you fellows wouldn't want a stock set up like that?
That would be my dream setup!
Dadsmini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 20:47   #12
Points: 1,473, Level: 21 Points: 1,473, Level: 21 Points: 1,473, Level: 21
Activity: 1.5% Activity: 1.5% Activity: 1.5%
Last Achievements

I would defiantly be interested in a nice wood stock I look and can't find any really nice wood stocks better than the factory one I have at a reasonable price. Call me lame but I like the classic look I don't really want my mini 14 to look like an urban assault weapon, but that's just me. keep us updated
guntwin07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 20:11   #13
Last Achievements

It would be perfect if there was an aftermarket stock that precisely duplicated, albeit on a reduced scale, the M-14 stock along with a Bakelite or composite handguard just like on the M-14. Which one of you fellows wouldn't want a stock set up like that?
Id be game either way. The factory stock (or aftermarket of similiar style) and a choat handguard is a pretty good makeup of what you are seeking. I personally have a hough stock for my mini that I will be picking up soon (layaway...UGH) because I want to squize as much accuracy as possible and it will be abbused as a farm/4-wheeler gun. However I may end up getting a wood stock or trading the stupid ATI stock for a wood one to see which I like better.

also if anyone is interested, our response:

" Tyler,

Thank you for your inquiry, and our apologies for the delay in responding.
We are experiencing excessive amounts of e-mail, phone calls and orders during this
election year. Your patience is appreciated.

We have been asked about Mini stocks numerous times in the past. We do intend on doing something for the mini, unfortunately
could not put a date on it right now.

In the past we have followed customer suggestions regarding new product designs, and typically run into minimal sales.
I agree, a good mini stock would be a great product, but, every time we do something new, everybody
says,. ' hey, great stock, it would be really cool if you did this and that to it', then I would buy one. And then we don't
sell any of the original models that we had built.

Needless to say, it can be very frustrating. We'll see what we come up with when we have the time.

I do appreciate your comments and consideration.

Let me know if you need more info.

Thanks,
Matt
IWD"

Looks like we got slim to none chances of this happening. Oh well, the factory wood stock (new 580) suits me just fine. It makes sense though. The kind of poeple like us who would actually drop $175 on a wood stock, know what we want and won't buy anything we dont want. Looks like we'll have to get customs or live with factory and limited runs through boyds. Best of luck fellas.
Old 07-17-2012, 07:07   #14
Redleg
Points: 4,096, Level: 40 Points: 4,096, Level: 40 Points: 4,096, Level: 40
Activity: 7.2% Activity: 7.2% Activity: 7.2%
Last Achievements

I like the factory wood stock pretty well. What is it that this proposed "M14 style" stock would have that is different? As someone in this thread said, the factory 580 wood stock with a Choate handguard makes for a pretty snappy rifle.
Old 07-18-2012, 11:05   #15
Last Achievements

I think the person asknig about the M-14 style stock probably ment a stock with oil finish, metal buttplate, walnut consturction with a 1.25'' sling swivel. I can only guese though, the factory stock is as close as were gona get for now. Called ruger directly today. Came to $141.80 for a factory new stock with rubber butt pad, and probably the steel liner, but did not comfirm. For all that I'll stick with my hogue.
Old 07-18-2012, 17:48   #16
Last Achievements

Last edited by C.Montague; 08-02-2012 at 13:42.
Old 07-18-2012, 18:40   #17
Last Achievements

T. Miller, you are correct. A stock with those features, essentially a scaled down M-14 stock, including the characteristic handguard as found on the M-14. A member here, and I can not recall the name or thread it was posted on, did a customization project which involved an M-14 handguard added to his Mini.

The Mini-14, despite being a "civilianized" carbine, derives its name and inspiration from its military big brother.

I prefer the Ruger wood stocks, and the wooden handguards are very nice, especially with some custom ventilation holes added. However, a nice project would be a Mini-14, with a Choate flash hider (the M-14 version) and a stock duplicating the M-14 stock. I think there would be many members here and Ruger Mini-14 users abroad who would cherish such a configuration. YMMV.
yes, but all the "tacticool mall nijas" far outnumber the amount of traditional style folks using the mini, at leaste as I see I on youtube and elsewhere. This is why the market cateres to such desires.

As for the clone, I know what you are talking about, it looked cool. However after talking to a vet who was issued an M14 while serving in Germany, I discovered his only complaint about the weapon was the "crappy plastic barrel cover". He trained on the Garand and probably wanted wood. I have to agree. I even would go as far as to say the Fed Ord./Choat handguard is more sturdy than a GI fiberglass guard. JMO though, and to be honest have never even picked up an M1a/M14 clone because I don't want to tease myself. So I don't really know how durrable the cover is, but APPEARS thin and breakable/meltable. Someone also needs to tell ruger to start parkerizing the tactical mini. Come on ruger? You really gona put the most easily rusted finish on a TACTICAL rifle? And its shiney to boot. Tisk Tisk ruger, hope you read this.

I love the mini platform. But I will say that I doupt very highly that It could take as many rounds as a forged milled M14. The mini is designed military, but the manufacturing techniques are civilian. I must say, though, that ruger impressed the hell out of me when I pulled my tactical trigger out and noticed a few stainless parts. This makes me truelly believe they do thier best in quality of materials where it matters, and in quality of manufacture. But I still believe (at leaste theoreticly) the cast receiver will not survive the round count or abuse of a hammer forged and milled GI M14 reciever.

Sorry, like to ramble and share idea's. Any opinions?
Old 07-19-2012, 08:03   #18
Redleg
Points: 4,096, Level: 40 Points: 4,096, Level: 40 Points: 4,096, Level: 40
Activity: 7.2% Activity: 7.2% Activity: 7.2%
Last Achievements

Does Ruger sell wood stocks for Minis at their parts department?
Old 07-19-2012, 13:21   #19
Last Achievements

Originally Posted by Rogervzv View Post
Does Ruger sell wood stocks for Minis at their parts department?
Yes sir. $141.81 was the number I got last. However they are stained beech, and while beach is an amazingly strong wood, it aint no walnut in the looks dept.
Old 07-19-2012, 21:40   #20
Last Achievements

Last edited by C.Montague; 08-02-2012 at 13:41.
Old 07-21-2012, 18:28   #21
Last Achievements

I have handled more than a few parkerized Minis, and yes, they look great. Of course, this was custom parkerizing. Just FYI, however, Springfield uses cast receivers for the M1A, so if you want that forged receiver, you'll have to go with the GI receiver, or one made by LRB or perhaps Polytech. As for the handguard, unless you are using the rifle as a makeshift step for a group of men making a scaled vault over a wall, I doubt very much that it would break under normal usage, lol.

The nice thing about the Mini-14 is that ruggedness that forms a very functional carbine. We all want them customized to our own designs, including the mall ninjas. I think, though, that the mall ninjas really want an SBRed M4. Crazy kids.
Ha! yea I'm sure the M14 handguard would do fine. Im still deciding choat or factory handguard for mine. I have a choat but may be get a factory just to see if I like it. And I agree. One of the strong points in any design is the ability to adapt and change and be easily changed.

I'm aware that springfield casts recievers. Wich is why I will never buy one for the price they want. Double that price and I can have an LRB like you said, and it will be almost all mill spec. or better.

Well I will be putting up the ATI stock off my tactical soon to see if I can get a wood stock. I want to see if wood or houge is better. And I already have the houge. I'm thinking wood just because I love the way it looks, and apparently will only really get a factory one.

Last edited by TMILLER; 07-21-2012 at 18:30. Reason: Wording. I suck at grammar, especially when tired.
Old 07-26-2012, 14:36   #22
Points: 2,207, Level: 28 Points: 2,207, Level: 28 Points: 2,207, Level: 28
Activity: 6.1% Activity: 6.1% Activity: 6.1%
Last Achievements

They are all over eBay...

Originally Posted by TMILLER View Post
Ha! yea I'm sure the M14 handguard would do fine. Im still deciding choat or factory handguard for mine. I have a choat but may be get a factory just to see if I like it. And I agree. One of the strong points in any design is the ability to adapt and change and be easily changed.

I'm aware that springfield casts recievers. Wich is why I will never buy one for the price they want. Double that price and I can have an LRB like you said, and it will be almost all mill spec. or better.

Well I will be putting up the ATI stock off my tactical soon to see if I can get a wood stock. I want to see if wood or houge is better. And I already have the houge. I'm thinking wood just because I love the way it looks, and apparently will only really get a factory one.
They are all over eBay if you want one....every "Mall Ninja" wants to sell theirs so they can afford to get their NCStar Tactical scope
Slamskie is offline   Reply With Quote