Ruger Mini-14 and Mini-30 Ruger Mini-14 and Mini-30 family of rifles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2012, 01:11   #1
Registered Member
Points: 85, Level: 1 Points: 85, Level: 1 Points: 85, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Last Achievements

Mini 14 GB sight replacement

I recently was given a Mini 14 from a family friend. I believe it is a GB model. It is a 181 serial number series. It came with the flash hider, as well as the sight/bayonet lug mounted on the middle of the barrel. Unfortunately, being that I live in California, I could not keep the flash hider and sight/bayo lug combo on the gun and still use the preban 30 rounders it came with. Even if I installed a bullet button, I would have had to switch to 10 round magazines. I removed the sight and flash hider without doing damage to either, or the gun (just minor marks on the exterior of the flash hider). I know this is horrible to do to a beautiful gun, but I do want to use it and would like to avoid jail. It had also already been modified slightly by the original owner.

My question has to do with the front sight. The area that it used to cover is not finished, and there is a notch for the front sight pin on the top of the barrel. Are there any replacement sights without bayonet lugs that I can purchase, or even just a cap or cover for this area. I do not need a front sight because it is a scoped rifle with a custom scope mount that attaches where the rear sight assembly used to be.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Holeshotyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 06:54   #2
Points: 6,167, Level: 51 Points: 6,167, Level: 51 Points: 6,167, Level: 51
Activity: 2.3% Activity: 2.3% Activity: 2.3%
Last Achievements

You might want to cut the barrel down and re crown it anyway. Check with the Master he can help you decide!

Accurizing the Mini14 - Great West Gunsmithing
glenwatkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 07:12   #3
Isolationist Libertarian
Points: 5,263, Level: 46 Points: 5,263, Level: 46 Points: 5,263, Level: 46
Activity: 1.4% Activity: 1.4% Activity: 1.4%
Last Achievements

Originally Posted by glenwatkins View Post
You might want to cut the barrel down and re crown it anyway. Check with the Master he can help you decide!

Accurizing the Mini14 - Great West Gunsmithing
Doc has my 183 GB right now for just such a mod. If you cut the barrel back short enough to get rid of the sight groove it's an SBR. Mine will wear a permanent CAR type hider which will make it longer than needed, but oh well. Dunno about CA. laws but maybe a brake as opposed to a hider? Also, the OP might be able to make a little cash back selling the sight and flash hider from the GB although the threads are funky on the old ones. Not meaning to sound like a Richard, but maybe it needs put back together and sold or traded for something easier?
Old 03-31-2012, 11:19   #4
Points: 7,441, Level: 57 Points: 7,441, Level: 57 Points: 7,441, Level: 57
Activity: 83.3% Activity: 83.3% Activity: 83.3%
Last Achievements

If you want to maintain the integrety of the barrel for the future (Possibility of putting the original sight/flashider/bayonet lug back on) you might want to consider finding an original single blade sight for it. With that sight you will be able to use an aftermarket slipover muzzle brake. I would reccomend this option to maintain to collectable value of you GB. Cutting the barrel length will ruin its collector value. Food for thought.
40nascar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 05:20   #5
Isolationist Libertarian
Last Achievements

Originally Posted by 40nascar View Post
If you want to maintain the integrety of the barrel for the future (Possibility of putting the original sight/flashider/bayonet lug back on) you might want to consider finding an original single blade sight for it. With that sight you will be able to use an aftermarket slipover muzzle brake. I would reccomend this option to maintain to collectable value of you GB. Cutting the barrel length will ruin its collector value. Food for thought.
The GB sight mounts in the fatter part of the pencil barrel, old front sights don't fit and I don't know about reaming them since the band isn't that thick, Maybe a sleeved new model sight? Or just have the bayo lug milled off the existing front sight and put it back on. Or leave CA. and move to America....
Old 04-01-2012, 13:35   #6
Points: 7,441, Level: 57 Points: 7,441, Level: 57 Points: 7,441, Level: 57
Activity: 83.3% Activity: 83.3% Activity: 83.3%
Last Achievements

Originally Posted by p35bhp55 View Post
The GB sight mounts in the fatter part of the pencil barrel, old front sights don't fit and I don't know about reaming them since the band isn't that thick, Maybe a sleeved new model sight? Or just have the bayo lug milled off the existing front sight and put it back on. Or leave CA. and move to America....
I would keep the original front sight/flashider/bayo lug assembly unmolested. If they still make them or you can find it, the choate M14 style front sight is a good unit. It has protective wings like the current 581 sight. You will have to line it up real close, then drill a hole through the bottom side of the barrel for the roll pin to hold it on. You will be able to put on your original GB front sight assembly when you leave the PRK and your new roll pin hole will be covered up. Good luck.
40nascar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 15:42   #7
Isolationist Libertarian
Last Achievements

Originally Posted by 40nascar View Post
I would keep the original front sight/flashider/bayo lug assembly unmolested. If they still make them or you can find it, the choate M14 style front sight is a good unit. It has protective wings like the current 581 sight. You will have to line it up real close, then drill a hole through the bottom side of the barrel for the roll pin to hold it on. You will be able to put on your original GB front sight assembly when you leave the PRK and your new roll pin hole will be covered up. Good luck.
Guy, the old GBs have the front sight in the middle of the barrel, anything you put on the end won't cover it. I went around with this for a bit before sending my gun to Doc. There is one obvious solution we didn't mention, get a standard barrel and take the old one off intact and save it. I just didn't love mine enough to go that route. I think the OP was looking for an easier cheaper way out.
Old 04-01-2012, 15:45   #8
Isolationist Libertarian
Last Achievements

This is about where the barrel has to end to cover the groove.

Last edited by p35bhp55; 11-04-2012 at 05:13.
p35bhp55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 20:35   #9
Registered Member
Points: 85, Level: 1 Points: 85, Level: 1 Points: 85, Level: 1
Last Achievements

Thanks everyone for the replies. It was a tough decision and I am on a budget. The best idea would have been to send the gun off to Doc and get the barrel cut and the rifle bedded. I decided that since I am in a budget, and live in the people's republic of California, I would mod the gun to what I wanted and what was legal. First off I took off all of the wood furniture and put it away for later. The old gb's have a different barrel thread pattern than what is commonly used now for 223/556 so I got an adapter and an AR muzzle brake. I also got a full length accu-strut. I put on a hogue stock and standard forend. I have a local guy doing a lot of gun finishes so I will just have the barrel and other showing parts redone. I am just going to live with the notch in the barrel.

Anyone on the market for a stock GB sight/bayo lug and stock flash hider?
Holeshotyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 15:44   #10
Points: 1,739, Level: 24 Points: 1,739, Level: 24 Points: 1,739, Level: 24
Last Achievements

Are you still interested in selling the GB front sight and flash hider?
alpha1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 00:36   #11
Registered Member
Points: 23, Level: 1 Points: 23, Level: 1 Points: 23, Level: 1
Activity: 20.0% Activity: 20.0% Activity: 20.0%

I want one........

Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
Are you still interested in selling the GB front sight and flash hider?
I am also interested in owning that front sight bayo lug combo. I'm a newbie here and still learning all the buttons, so PM? me if you would like to sell. Thanks, Mike
mgibson is offline   Reply With Quote