Ruger Mini-14 and Mini-30 Ruger Mini-14 and Mini-30 family of rifles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2012, 05:55   #26
Points: 325, Level: 6 Points: 325, Level: 6 Points: 325, Level: 6
Activity: 1.6% Activity: 1.6% Activity: 1.6%
Last Achievements

I am not sure exactly. I will remount the rings to be sure. I have mounted a lot of scopes over the years and never had this problem before.
Keith DW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 16:36   #27
Points: 42,106, Level: 100 Points: 42,106, Level: 100 Points: 42,106, Level: 100
Activity: 11.8% Activity: 11.8% Activity: 11.8%
Last Achievements

You might try switching the scope rings around and see if that helps. If not, the scallops for the rings may be off.
Also polishing the feed lips and knocking off the sharp edges off new mags. The slow hand cycling with cause more dragging on the 1 at round. Cycle a loaded mag and look at the chambered round and see if the mag gouged the shell.
Old 05-11-2012, 09:37   #28
Points: 551, Level: 11 Points: 551, Level: 11 Points: 551, Level: 11
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Last Achievements

Cryo treatment of the barrel (and receiver) seemed to help me on my 580 series, I removed the strut I was using too but need to shoot more to confirm. In one case I've got 4/5 in 0.75 in group, I called one to the right (i think this was 3rd or 4th shot) to open up the group to 2 in. Most groups so far with UMC 45 gr and Ultramax 68 gr HPs are around 1.75", and the first shot seems to be in the group at least with this ammo.
Attached Thumbnails
1st shot always hits 3 to 4 inchs low-cyroed.jpeg  
linz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 10:34   #29
Points: 42,106, Level: 100 Points: 42,106, Level: 100 Points: 42,106, Level: 100
Last Achievements

Thanks for the update linz!
Old 05-11-2012, 13:38   #30
Last Achievements

I am glad your gun is performing for you now. I just spent 2 hours and a lot of ammo testing my rifle since I bedded the action, lapped the rings and installed a new scope. Before I could not get my impacts and scope to align and first shot was 6" low and 4" left from follow up shots. Always allowing the barrel to cool between shots. Previous work had been, trigger job, recrown, gas block torque and recoil buffers front and rear. During reassembly I removed the front recoil buffer but kept the rear.
I used only factory SSA 115 gr HP and factory magazines. I sighted in by loading one round into the magazine, hand loading and firing. I was very impressed with the consistency. I could easily hold 1.5" group at 100 yards! Pleased with this, I loaded the magazine with 5 rounds. First round went right were it was sighted in for but subsequent shots went 6" high and 4" right in a nice 2" group. Frustrated I loaded one round into the magazine after cooling as I did before and it went within an inch of the first round fired before. I then loaded both factory magazines with 5 rounds and tried again. Again two consistent groups allowing cooling between shots. Almost exactly the same groups as before. To test the theory of magazine pressure I loaded three rounds in each magazine. After cooling I fired both magazines into the same two groups. To test heating I then fired another magazine of three without cooling. Again same two groups. The first shot of each magazine ended up with a group of @ 2" and the second group was @ 3". If I could figure out how to make the charging handle close consistently it would be a winner. I don't know if a smaller gas bushing would do this or not?
Old 05-11-2012, 14:12   #31
Last Achievements

I should note that charging the first round was always with the bolt locked back and letting the charging handle slam it home.

Any input is welcome. I know there are certainly more people out there who may have some ideas and certainly more experience.

Last edited by Keith DW; 05-11-2012 at 14:42.
Old 05-15-2012, 21:46   #32
Last Achievements

I put my 580 series in a wood stock today, hawkguy has a how to here putting your mini 14 in a wood stock . The stock fits tighter then either the factory or the other hogue overmold I have. Incidentally I shot the best group of 5 today, about 1 in at 100 yds using fiocchi 40 gr vmax. Id say the cryo treatment helped (and maybe the stock). I'll bet the gun can now shoot better then this but the knucklehead behind the trigger cant. Regardless I still think id see the first shot low with most heavier ammo so next time I'm out I'll try to confirm. I did shoot a 2.25 in group of 5 with the barnes 55 gr tsx and I'm pretty sure the 1st shot was the lowest. So for me Id say theres a bullet weight/dimension factor going on here as well but its hard to say for sure as I'm just using factory ammo. I do see pretty good groups with the 68 gr ultramax as can be seen above so I cant make a blanket statement about bullet weight.
Attached Thumbnails
1st shot always hits 3 to 4 inchs low-cryoed-vmax.jpg   1st shot always hits 3 to 4 inchs low-mini-wood.jpg  
Old 05-16-2012, 12:55   #33
Last Achievements

Keith DW, I installed a reduced bushing on mine, I think i used 0.045 from ASI. I don't believe this helped with accuracy but it certainly reduced the distance brass was being thrown. Most drop about 10 feet away as opposed to the 40 feet with the stock bushing. It might change the barrel harmonics so I guess its conceivable it might help with accuracy, but more then anything i think the benefits would be just reduced beating on the gun and brass (and attached parts like a scope).

Mines shooting pretty good at this point with certain ammo but it's still got me a little annoyed at times. I'll try some more ammo that I've known to have first shots hitting low and report back to see if the cryo treatment helped in this area. I think there is something to this cryo treatment though so far. My feeling so far is the barrel strut and the cyro treatment seem to yield similar benefits in tightening up groups, however, in my case the jury is still out if I'm still seeing these two separate groups/first round low after cryo treatment. My problem is I cant always find the factory ammo that ive seen the behavior with so its not been apples to apples comparisons.
Old 05-16-2012, 18:25   #34
Points: 2,715, Level: 31 Points: 2,715, Level: 31 Points: 2,715, Level: 31
Activity: 3.7% Activity: 3.7% Activity: 3.7%
Last Achievements

Guys;

Just got my 582 series Mini 30 this week and taking it out for a test-spin tomorrow. What is the accepted breakin useage for it? Couple hundred rounds or not that much?
Pier23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 18:26   #35
Last Achievements

Thanks for the info and keep us posted.
Old 05-16-2012, 20:43   #36
Points: 474, Level: 9 Points: 474, Level: 9 Points: 474, Level: 9
Last Achievements

I have a headache reading these posts. I haven't received my Mini 30 yet, Haven't shot my Mini-14 yet-Thanks to work and the weather!!! But these types of posts make me nervous and I now question whether I made the right choice. This is really mind boggling- reminds me of the anti-acid commercials.

Bullets are hitting low, use a accu strut or mo-bar, maybe a this bar or that strut- whatever, Bed the action, check the gas block-it needs to be adjusted, it maybe off, or not tightened right!!, you need to torque it. Maybe its the gas bushing, It could be the harmonic dispersion, the action needs to be tuned. Put it in a new stock- use a credit card. Cyro the dam thing!!! If it is cold, it will shoot low, but it will string when hot. The magazines cause accuracy problems, don't shoot this or that. Blah, Blah, Blah. Just read this post with all the problems reported- makes ya kinda wonder.

I am now lost!!!!!! What did I do?????????? Would be nice to see or hear all positives etc.

All of these problems are starting to really concern me.

This is a great forum, but I am really wondering after all of these threads and posts whether I made the right decision, before I even go out and shoot my MINI's.!!!!!!

The old saying- Too much info. can be counter productive.
SGT45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 05:35   #37
Last Achievements

I know what you mean. It is tough with forums. Most of us gather here to fix issues with our guns answer questions or get questions answered but few actually brag much. There are a number of people how have had very good luck with their guns and others not so much. The Ruger's serve a purpose. Many of us just like the style and function over an AR but we all want the precision of the AR. The Ruger is also a lot less expensive than an AR. QC isn't as high and things are skimped on. We all know this, but as a whole they are a solid platform and some shoot better than others.
If my Ruger were a SHTF gun I wouldn't even be worried about it. My gun for that roll is my VZ 58. At 25 yards it will blow the hole out of a bulls eye but at 100 with my Sparc red dot I can do about a 6" group. Probably could do better but I shot it once on paper that far just to see what it would do with the one load I have and no scope. For that purpose it is plenty good enough. I also love it just for blasting!
My 581 Ruger was bought for Hunting. What most people are getting for groups I would be more than satisfied with. I knew what to expect when I got it. My experience seems to be an extreme case, my luck, but I am sure I can figure it out. It is not all doom and gloom as it may seem. Over all we like the guns and that is why we keep them. Most of use are always trying to eep out every little bit of accuracy we can and most of the mods are pretty simple.

What do you want out of your Mini'?
Old 05-17-2012, 15:49   #38
Last Achievements

Keith,

I want a reliable, fairly accurate rifle for patrol (at least 2-3" at 100 yrds), self defense-and of course for the SHTF scenerio. I bought them even though my PD has AR's. I have some say in what we issue or what you are authorized to carry. I have always been a little different- for example back in 1982 I convinced my Chief to go to Ruger Security Six's when everyone else went with S&W L frames. In 1987 I convinced my Chief to go with the new fangled plastic (at that time) Glock instead of going with the Beretta like everyone else. My PD and present PD have had Glocks since. Over the years we issued Glock 17,19,22,23,30,21 and now we have the .45 GAP! (yup ,.45 GAP and I love them!). So again I am going against the grain and trying out Mini 14 and 30's. I like the feel and handling. Now I hope they perform- some of these complaints are causing me much angst. Now if I could only get out and shoot them!
Old 05-17-2012, 16:32   #39
Points: 6,866, Level: 54 Points: 6,866, Level: 54 Points: 6,866, Level: 54
Activity: 29.0% Activity: 29.0% Activity: 29.0%
Last Achievements

Try S&W M&P pistols. Love my 40 cal.
Old 05-17-2012, 17:12   #40
Last Achievements

I love minis, I have 3 and need a 4 th, a mini 30!!
Old 05-17-2012, 19:19   #41
Last Achievements

Originally Posted by KingANuthin View Post
Try S&W M&P pistols. Love my 40 cal.
When they make one in .45 GAP!!!!!! Actually thats a good idea- >45 GAP in the S&W M&P 9mm and .40 frame. I like the 9 and 40's a little better because they don't have the FCS's. Now- That trigger needs some work- like a factory APEX.
Old 05-17-2012, 19:20   #42
Last Achievements

Originally Posted by tri70 View Post
I love minis, I have 3 and need a 4 th, a mini 30!!
I really, really hope I end up loving mine!!!!
Old 05-18-2012, 11:48   #43
Last Achievements

I hope so too.. I wish you the best of luck. Obviously many here have been able to achieve what you desire.
Old 05-18-2012, 11:58   #44
Points: 6,866, Level: 54 Points: 6,866, Level: 54 Points: 6,866, Level: 54
Activity: 29.0% Activity: 29.0% Activity: 29.0%
Last Achievements

Originally Posted by SGT45 View Post
When they make one in .45 GAP!!!!!! Actually thats a good idea- >45 GAP in the S&W M&P 9mm and .40 frame. I like the 9 and 40's a little better because they don't have the FCS's. Now- That trigger needs some work- like a factory APEX.
Agreed. I put the apex on mine.
Have you seen the shield? Might get one for the mrs.
Old 05-18-2012, 13:57   #45
Points: 1,578, Level: 22 Points: 1,578, Level: 22 Points: 1,578, Level: 22
Last Achievements

I think a lot of the complaints about the new models is simply that they haven't been shot enough to really break them in. I have shimmed up the action on mine and improved the trigger (after watching Gundoc's video). I have about 300 rounds (spread out over 5 range trips) through it and it is still improving. I had to clean out the copper once and have cleaned the carbon every 50 to 100 rounds. My problem of the first round flyer seems to be improving and the groups overall are getting better. The S/S guns have very rough parts and very little machining and no polishing. The first thing I did was thoroughly clean everything, including the barrel, then put a thin coat of synthetic grease with Teflon on all sliding parts and a thin film of synthetic oil with Teflon on all pivot parts and small parts like the firing pin and extractor. Even with this super low friction lube, when hand cycling, the action felt like it had gravel in it. Bottom line is, don't expect too much until you have done a good break-in with proper lubricant and copper removal (if necessary). Excessive cleaning can ruin accuracy also. Every firearm requires a different amount of cleaning.
Ranydl is offline   Reply With Quote