Perfect Union banner
10K views 45 replies 17 participants last post by  SublimeBoa 
#1 ·
Wondering what the reviews are on this Russian ammo for the Mini-14? Been shopping around, and besides the M855 LC, this stuff seems to be the most reasonable priced.

Since all the good stuff seems to be sold out for now, figured i might pick up 500-1000 rounds of something semi-consistent. Not looking for anything super accurate, just reliable and semi-consistent.

Can't imagine it not being able to hit man sized silhouette at 250 yds, but thought I'd ask.

Any misfires? And how many out of 100? Any casing issues like cracking, mis-feeding or sticking in the chamber? I know some rifles don't like the coated casings.

Thanks for any help.

#5 ·
Sure! Nice of you to volunteer me a target. Just set out there about a hundred yards, and I'll hit it all day long with my Mini-14. :lol:

How about we get back to my original question? How does the Mini-14 take to the TulAmmo rounds?

#4 ·
Wondering what the reviews are on this Russian ammo for the Mini-14? Been shopping around, and besides the M855 LC, this stuff seems to be the most reasonable priced.

Since all the good stuff seems to be sold out for now, figured i might pick up 500-1000 rounds of something semi-consistent. Not looking for anything super accurate, just reliable and semi-consistent.

Can't imagine it not being able to hit man sized silhouette at 250 yds, but thought I'd ask.

Any misfires? And how many out of 100? Any casing issues like cracking, mis-feeding or sticking in the chamber? I know some rifles don't like the coated casings.

Thanks for any help.
Its a get what you pay for thing, they shoot fine for me but 1 or 2 out of every 20 round box ends up with some odd issue.
I just get 55gr 223 federal ammo from walmart for plinking.

#7 ·
I have been shooting a LOT of the Herter's .223 from Cabela's. The first couple of spam cans I got, the rounds were head stamped Wolf. The last two I got, I'm into the second one now are head stamped Tula. I'm 700 rounds of the Tula down range so far out of my Mini 14 and two AR's and so far no issues. Its been decent and cheap practice ammo. I can't reload .223 for the price we have been getting it for.

#8 ·
I reload so I look for brass cased ammo so I can reload the brass. If you look around you can find brass cased ammo pretty cheap. A LGS in my town had some PMC Bronze for $6 out the door and some AE XM855 for just over $7 out the door. It didnt take long for both to be gone. I grabbed 100rds of each. The pmc brass as well as the lake city brass is good reloading brass.

I have 1911 style recoil buffers on the gas tube and op rod of my mini-14 and it will not cycle tula ammo. Im sure I could take the buffer off the gas tube and it would but they are on there for a reason. Im not willing to change my setup to accomodate steel cased ammo.

I understand the reason some people shoot tula and wolf and thats fine. It gets expensive to stay sharp and proficient with your rifle. Thats one of the reasons I started reloading. Shoot what you bring to the party and when the time comes you will be ready.

#9 ·
Guess I'll have to pick up a few boxes of the 55 and 62 gr and try it out. I just don't want to buy 1000 rounds and find out it sucks. Only reason I need the cheaper stuff is to amass a cache. Can you imagine what 10,000 rnds of good stuff would cost? LOL

Wish I could reload, but it's not in the cards with so many other expenses at this time.

#10 ·
tula is good to go. i put 1200 thru my mini14 before i started reloading. no problems at all and i would get 2 in groups. i still have 500 left that i keep on hand just in case i dont have time to reload. just ordered another 500. just stay away from wolf that is berdan primed so you dont have any firing pin issues. read the box or call before you buy aim had some listed as boxer but the box in the picture said berdan.

#12 ·
I got a 581 with Wilson Buffers front and back that has been flawless running anything I have tried through it. Then I bought 500 rounds of Tula 55gr. coated steel and I had major problems with ejection. It seemed way under powered and any casings that did eject would fall to the ground right next to me. Not normal for the way this gun flings brass 15 feet easy! I have since got chamber brushes and done some scrubbing on the chamber and am going to give this stuff another try. I am going to do some experimenting with this junk and see if it performs reliably through this gun.I probably won't be buying anymore either way! Good idea to buy a couple boxes first and see how it goes for you first. Let us know how it goes.

#15 ·
What is your mini that was serviced by Ruger. The reason I ask if it was a standard "pre ranch". They would have replaced it with a ranch bolt and bolt stop assembly. It was done to mine when they fixed it. Just curious.....Joe

#14 ·
The front WC buffer in my 186xx would not allow anything to cycle. Always have one on the spring and have never experienced any issues. Once you find the ammo your mini likes then you can fine tune it with reduced gas bushings. It will still be dependable and cut down on the hard slam of the op-rod on the receiver..................Joe

#17 ·
Did it look something like this? Just got my ranch rifle back for the same issue. Haven't been able to feed much ammo through it yet since it's return.

#19 ·
My mini doesn't like Wolf Ammo at all. That's why I decided to ask about the TulAmmo. My M-44 also does not like Wolf Ammo. About 4 out of 10 rounds won't even feed all the way into the chamber without getting stuck. So I try hard to avoid the rounds with the epoxy coating. Whatever process they use seems to be grossly inconsistent.

Thanks everyone. I'm soaking it up.

#24 ·
Wolf does not manufacture its own ammo. They have it manufactured to their specifications from Russian ammo plants. I have talked to Wolf ammo techs about the Herter's Wolf head stamped ammo that we bought. They are getting into a lawsuit with a distributer or one of their manufactures over it and they want to get all of the mis boxed Wolf ammo back. I'm thinking the three company's listed in this Bulletin from Wolf are who make their ammo.
http://www.wolfammo.com/pdf/WOLF_Packaging_Alert.pdf
Reading that bullitin it looks like Ulyanovsk makes Tula and Wolf ammo

#25 ·
i stand corrected. i have not shot any wolf in y mini due to the berdan primers. i have shot wolf in my sks with only one or two bad rounds in a thousand. dont know if wolf has different spec but all the uly/ tula i fired in my mini has been perfect. now the tula 9mm did not go well in my walther p99 but my high point carbine ate every one.

#26 ·
Grabbed 2 boxes each today of 55gr HP and 62gr FMJ TulAmmo. All are head stamped TulAmmo, and the box says boxer primed. Box also says "manufacturer: OJSC". ???

I'll be trying to get out this weekend to see how they perform and feed.

#29 ·
crow my mine is a mini 14. i have seen some wolf boxer primed but most of what i see around here is berdan primed. my ds arms fal says no steel cased at all. there was some bad wolf atound a few years that blew up some guns(you can see pics on the fal files) now there are guys who are using brown/silver bear with no problems.

#30 ·
Heres a rundown on Wolf ammo.
WOLF Polyformance
.223 55 & 62 grain FMJ & HP are boxer primed
.223 77 grain HP is Berdan primed
.40 S&W & .45 acp Boxer primed
All 7.62 x39 and All other calibers are Berden primed

WOLF Military Classic
All calibers are Berden primed

WOLF Gold
All Boxer primed

#31 ·
Have run about 500 rounds of Tula through my mini and haven't had any ejection problems .. can get a box at Wally world for $4.97

#37 ·
OK, but to be fair, that test was for wear on chamber and bore. I think the bolt and extractor would take more of a beating, myself.

Plus, do you really think that they'd post the results if it showed otherwise? ;)

Not trying to sway anyone away, but I like to mention that I have had problems with this ammo in the past. Wolf is another story....never any problems with it, I just like the brass better.

I see it kinda like feeding your kids. Sure, Mcdonalds is nice and cheap, but I'd rather make a healthy meal for them. To each their own.

#40 ·
OK, managed to get out and try out those 2 boxes of TulAmmo I picked up. And after consideration of the facts surrounding my experience, I'll have to say IT SUCKS! Out of 20 rounds of the 55 gr HP I had one fail to extract, and inconsistent patterns on the target. With the 62 gr FMJ I had 2 fail to extracts, although the patterns were a bit more consistent. And yes, my weapons are always clean before shooting. But they were pretty dirty after a mere 40 rounds of this Russian ammo. You'd think I shot 200 rounds by the looks of the chamber and receiver.

With all 3 fail to extracts, the extractor ripped the lip right off the cartridge, causing me to have to find the missing piece of metal in the magazine before continuing, so I could make sure I wasn't feeding it back into the chamber after extracting the casing with a cleaning rod.

I have 840 rounds of M855 on the way. No more bi-metal or epoxy coated rounds will ever see their way into my Mini again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.