Perfect Union banner

Best cleaning rod for mini 14 target

5K views 11 replies 12 participants last post by  KingANuthin 
#1 ·
what is the best cleaning rod for the mini 14 target? Because you have to clean the mini 14 form the muzzle I don't know what to use for a cleaning rod that will not harm the stainless barrel. Some of the better brushes that i see are nylon coated but some one told me once tha nylon brushes were hell on stainless barrels so is a nylon rod OK? On the ruger site is shows him using a flex cable puller with a patch but I have never seen one in Canada. where would you get one? what do you guys use and what do you think is the best?

#2 ·
I have always used a Dewey rod with nylon brushes with no problems, I never heard of nylon hurting SS. They sell a ton of the everywhere, almost only option anymore. I do follow up with couple pull thrus with a bore snake.

#8 ·
I had a Hoppe's Viper boresnake break while trying to pull it through my Mini-14 Tactical and was unable to get it out. The skinny part broke off. Clamped the free end hanging out of the breech in a vice and pulled it out. Switched to an Otis cleaning kit for my Mini-14 and 10/22, no problems.

#12 ·
I have a friend that had his Viper break too. I hear they break often. The original is way better.. go figure.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.