Perfect Union banner

How does crowning a barrel improve accuracy?

59K views 20 replies 14 participants last post by  Tailgunner 
#1 ·
When looking at target crowned barrels, all I see is where they have machined a bowl or a cone shaped recess into the top of the barrel....

So, what does that accomplish?

#2 ·
The recess is just to protect the crown from damage, i.e., bumping into something. It also helps protect everything else from the sharp edge of the crown.

The crown itself allows the powder gases to exit the muzzle evenly. If the gases on one side of the projectile exit sooner than the other side, the projectile will be "pushed" by the later-exiting gases and directed slightly to the other side. Wow, I hope that makes sense...because I know I know what I mean, but I'm not too sure in my ability to explain it. :lol:

#8 ·
I do not think there is enough pressure between a muzzle break, or compensator to effect the bullet's accuracy, but at the point where it exits the barrel, the bullet is in direct contact with the barrel, and pressure there is much higher, and does effect bullet "release" from the barrel.

I could actually see where a well designed compensator would enhance bullet speed, and accuracy. (Sort of the effect a well made/installed suppressor can result in increased FPS out of the same weapon/ammo, and improved accuracy.)

The "turbulent" gas is stripped away from, or removed from where it can effect the bullet as it goes down range after being acclerated, and spun up in the bore.

Then again, I think all things being equal, the shooter has much more to do with accuracy than the rifle/bore/round in most cases. :)

#9 ·
Don't think shooter has that much to do with accuracy. Any person gun person on this sight knows how to hold a sight on target and squeeze a trigger. Why do you think high level comp guns hav so many dohickys? The crown is very important if you do it with a file just aim in the general direction and hope to hit your target, do it on a mill or lathe with precision equip and expect great improvement. It's one thing to shoot from a res and a whole different can o worms to shoot unsupported from standing, then it might be the shooter.

#10 ·
Crowns are the last part of the barrel to influence the bullet. Whether it's a 90 degree crown, an 11 degree crown, rounded crown, etc. is really irrelevant most of the time. The termination of the lands and grooves needs to be exactly square all the way around so that the bullet and the gas pressure behind it exit evenly. Anything past the termination point is extra material to help prevent impact damage to the termination point. That's fine and well, but the termination can still be damaged by cleaning rods, corrosion from environment or erosion from gas pressure. Razor sharp crowns are generally undesirable - think about a sharp blade and how quickly it can dull, so most of us cutting crowns will cut something like an 11 degree crown and lightly chamfer it with a narrow 82 degree bevel to ease cleaning rod entry while still maintaining the right terminus (think of a drilled hole with a slight countersink). Even if you clean from the chamber, if you pull the rod back the brush/jag has to enter the muzzle.

So then we add a compensator, brake, flash hider, etc. These generally have a large expansion port inside, and the exit point of the part is preferably 0.020 - 0.022" over bullet diameter to allow for a bit of back pressure and keep the bullet from striking the part. Look at some parts and you'll see they are well over that specification. Since the manufacturer has no idea if you'll do the job with a file and die, or set it up correctly in the lathe they have to leave excess room to prevent bullet strike. This is one of the major factors in determining why one brand works so well and another similar one doesn't. So a comp or brake uses that short period of restricted forward gas pressure to redirect it and reduce recoil, but it doesn't really affect the bullet as it isn't supposed to touch the bullet which is technically already in flight and has achieved all the velocity it's going to and the gun has no more influence on it's performance.

Your factory Mini barrel has a 90 degree crown with a shallow bevel in it. Look, you can see it. Why not use an 11 degree crown? Fact is very few factory guns wear 11 degree crowns. I'm not sure how it came about exactly, but the benchrest community decided the 11 degree crown was the perfect shape some years ago. Someone smarter than me might be able to explain why. I cut 11 degree crowns because people want them, because they're called "target" crowns. Depending on the application I cut 90 degree crowns for ease of maintenance or better fit with a muzzle part.

Just remember to inspect your crown every so often, under magnification if possible. Even if you never fire the gun it will eventually erode due to oxidation of the exposed edges, and if you shoot a lot it will wear down from the gas pressures and cleaning chores. If the crown starts looking rough take it to your smooth for a touch up or use one of the excellent home tools available these days, but don't do it so often you wear the barrel down like a pencil in a sharpener.

#11 ·
.... but the termination can still be damaged by cleaning rods....
Doc, I hope you are doing well. I'm no metallurgist, but I've often wondered how much damage a cleaning rod can do then the metal it is made of is waayyy softer that the metal of the barrel.

I do recall cleaning the M16 in boot camp and that the DI's weren't so worried about not putting the brush in at the exit end of the barrel instead of the chamber end.

#12 ·
It's not necessarily the cleaning rod metallurgy, but the abrasive particles adhered to it as it runs down the bore. Cheap aluminum rods are the worst offenders with soft metal and rough joints. Just like a brass screw with valve lapping compound can erode metal (cut a crown), a rod full of powder and copper residue can do the same thing - over a longer time of course. I like carbon rods, but I have a bunch of coated Dewey rods as well. I just keep a paper towel handy and every out and back of the rod I wipe it off with the towel.

#18 ·
Side note to the subject: In the same way that an even crown affects accuracy, so does the tail of the bullet. A bullet with a crooked or otherwise messed up tip will fly straighter than a bullet with a nick in the tail. This was proven in the "box o' truth".

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.