Ruger Mini-14 and Mini-30 Ruger Mini-14 and Mini-30 family of rifles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2012, 18:30   #51
Points: 3,551, Level: 37 Points: 3,551, Level: 37 Points: 3,551, Level: 37
Activity: 3.3% Activity: 3.3% Activity: 3.3%
Last Achievements

rockman congrats on the new baby. i got 5 so i am never without a shootin buddy.. the father son/daughter shooting sessions are some of the best times of my life. looks like you got a really cool rifle to hand down to the little guy.
scubadad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 22:19   #52
Super Awesome Member
Points: 8,663, Level: 62 Points: 8,663, Level: 62 Points: 8,663, Level: 62
Activity: 1.2% Activity: 1.2% Activity: 1.2%
Last Achievements

@tobnpr, I wasn't calling you a hater because you were pointing out a design flaw, but because you just swooped in with nothing but negative things to say. I don't like the old style choate mini 14 stocks (despise them actually), but I never popped into a thread about them to talk s#!%. Just saying.

Back on subject, I haven't heard any complaints about the troy stocks and it uses the same style e.g. rail mounts to the stock. I have 0 noticeable wobble on my factory wood or tapco stock. I understand this stock could very well be different. Doesn't the trigger group lock the receiver and stock together?

One last thing, when throw lever mounts first started getting popular, I didn't see the point because I didn't think they would be able to return to zero. When my dad saw a Larue tactical ad stating their throw lever mounts were guaranteed to return to zero, he figured they were just blatantly lying. But they weren't.

Last edited by bcavin; 02-07-2012 at 23:00.
bcavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 22:25   #53
I have no use for sarcasm
Points: 17,060, Level: 83 Points: 17,060, Level: 83 Points: 17,060, Level: 83
Activity: 1.8% Activity: 1.8% Activity: 1.8%
Last Achievements

^haters b back peddlin

own the hate

be the hate

hate on
Old 02-08-2012, 01:55   #54
Odd Pachyderm thingy
Points: 13,533, Level: 75 Points: 13,533, Level: 75 Points: 13,533, Level: 75
Activity: 14.4% Activity: 14.4% Activity: 14.4%
Last Achievements

Originally Posted by whofarted View Post
^haters b back peddlin

own the hate

be the hate

hate on

lolz...

Farted, You do know you are one twisted SOB... right?

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Mr. Snuffalupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 18:21   #55
Points: 3,084, Level: 34 Points: 3,084, Level: 34 Points: 3,084, Level: 34
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Last Achievements

Originally Posted by bcavin View Post
Back on subject, I haven't heard any complaints about the troy stocks and it uses the same style e.g. rail mounts to the stock.
I did a search on this site, found only two threads related to the Troy stock, and both of them had one poster referencing zero problems due to a loose upper rail. Just sayin...

The internet is nearly devoid of reviews on that stock.
Either Troy didn't sell many (which could be why they're discontinuing them), or the owners don't talk much about them.

This is a Mini forum...and I love the Mini...
I want nothing to do with a stock where I have to remove and reinstall the optic to field strip it. Just a problem waiting to happen... I'm entitled to my $.02...call me "hater", I could give a sh**...
tobnpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 23:41   #56
Full on evil Capitalist!
Points: 14,515, Level: 78 Points: 14,515, Level: 78 Points: 14,515, Level: 78
Activity: 33.6% Activity: 33.6% Activity: 33.6%
Last Achievements

It is a design issue to have to remove the upper rail, and the fact it's not attached to the gas block, or reciever other than via the stock, but let's face it.

Most folks shooting iron sights or red dot, are not going to notice.

You might notice with a high power optic, but my Mini 30's not a tack driver, and most likely never will be. (It's the alternative to a AK, so what I expect is for it to be reliable and mostly accurate.)

The upside is the lower barrel location should reduce muzzle rise. The long rail allows for anything you want to be put on there optic/BUIS etc.

And the price is affordable for many who would love to have the Troy or other stocks based on the M14 ones, but can't afford to pay as much for the stock, as they did the rifle. (or more.)

At 175.00 and change, I'm willing to try this stock out. I'll put a red dot on there, and call it good enough.
Adjuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 13:46   #57
Points: 637, Level: 12 Points: 637, Level: 12 Points: 637, Level: 12
Activity: 1.6% Activity: 1.6% Activity: 1.6%
Last Achievements

Alot of tactical, i.e. Clyde, Tapco, Ati, guys are putting they're scopes and red dots on a picatinny rail on the hand guard that has to......... come off to do a field strip.

Oh snap, oh no he di-i'nt.

Damn you re-zero! You are my white whale! Why hasth thou foresaken me!?!
streetgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 00:05   #58
Points: 1,348, Level: 20 Points: 1,348, Level: 20 Points: 1,348, Level: 20
Activity: 13.1% Activity: 13.1% Activity: 13.1%
Last Achievements

I got mine today. I'm actually quite impressed with it. Here's my spiehl from another forum....

I have been a ruger owner for many, many years, and recently picked up a Mini-14 stainless ranch model (580 series), replacing the Mini-30 I let get away long ago. It came in a synthetic stock, as usual. I had some tactical mods in mind, so a good rail system was my first priority. I had thought the Amega Ranges Mini-Scout Rail was the answer to my ambitions.

I soon learned that real estate was limited, even with the Amega rail and a couple of add on rails...

My frustrations came to a head when I went on a search for a good pistol grip solution. I wasn't very happy with the usual offerings. I love the A2 grip on an AR15, but the typical Mini- offerings use an interpretation of the "Saw" grip, or a fat palm swelled custom grip inspired by exotic target rifles. Then most still had the usual limitations on fore-end space, with few options providing more mounting area than what I already had.
Then I stumbled on some SHOT Show videos from 2011 where ProMag was detailing their Archangel Sparta stock for the Mini- family. It looked good, but then I read where it had failed to go into production last year as they refined it somewhat. I was having trouble finding any trace of this thing then it was never available for sale. After a few days of searching, another SHOT Show video from 2012 popped up with remarks that these started shipping in just the last few weeks. Another search and I started finding them for sale, but missed out, until this week. Here is what I got today....

It has only the top rail, but it runs the full length of the action, from behind the original rear site, all the way to the gas block.

There is enough open space on the top rail for side saddle mounting of tactical accessories, and there are lugs molded in to the bottom side of the fore-end that can be drilled for a rail on the belly. This will help with bi-pod and pressure switch mounting.

The Sparta stock has a ton of features; 4 position stock, 7 position cheek weld, aluminum picatinny rail, 4 QD sling sockets, steel thread inserts in the aluminum rail where attaching to stock, pistol grip storage, rubber butt pad, etc.
I've handled the ATI, Tapco, Choate, Ramline and Ruger stocks. They all seemed a little flimsy (maybe that's a strong word). They would twist in your hands, especially the ones with a thin fore-end. The folders were clunky, except the ATI, the grips were weird... They just didn't feel "right" to this shooter.
The best description I can use for the Sparta is SOLID. It's got some weight to it, but not too much. It's very rigid, probably due to the long aluminum rail that is very nicely integrated into the sythetic stock.

You can see more about it here:

Now if it sounds like I am a fan, I am. I need to throw a compliment to ProMag on three points. First, this is made in the USA! Second, I had a concern, so I called and was on the phone a technician within a half hour. All of my questions were answered and my input was taken seriously. Third, I learned a lot about the development of the product in that call, especially how hard they had worked to hit a reasonable price point. Mission accomplished!
My best friend is an AR toting Marine Corp Vet. He has been growing fond of my Mini lately, but tonight he declared that my rifle was finally "complete". I would recommend this piece to anyone looking for more flexibility from their Mini- platform. Good luck finding one. Demand is chewing them up as fast as they can be produced.
I just had a trigger job done and shot a 1.75" group at 100 yards last night, using a walnut stock I snagged on eBay. I'll be sure to report back my results with the Sparta stock just as soon as I can.
scottybaccus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 00:12   #59
Last Achievements

Originally Posted by 45K20E4 View Post
No idea, but if someone can send me measurements (picture of the underside of stock with a ruler or tape measure laid across it) I can figure it out.

At first appearance it does not seem to be a wide stock. The release fits the all other stocks except for the SCAR (just found that out) and an extra wide target laminate stock that is floating around out there.

Measured at the stock reinforcment screws, my factory synthetic stock is 1.865", my wood stock is 1.925" and my Sparta is 1.650"

I don't see an issue.
Old 02-10-2012, 00:26   #60
Last Achievements

Everyone keeps spewing BS about losing zero with opyics mounted on detachable rails.

If any of those whining about losing zero had any real marksmanship experience, they would know that you must maintain the zero on a precision rifle (which isn't exactly the category for a mini-14 anyway). If air temperature moves 10 degrees, or humidity takes a swing, you are going to be off by way more than any 1000th of an inch of play in the stock could cause. Hell, all but the best match ammo or handloads will have more variability in it that what you will get by breaking down this rifle for cleaning.

I've used the side mount, Ruger Ranch Rings, the Amega Scout Rail and various QD scope mounts without ever having re-zero issues. You just need to pay attention to reassembly, reference marks and mounting points, how you tighten things up, etc.

I haven't fired my rifle from the Sparta stock yet, but it is quite well made in the interface between the rail and the stock, plus the action is the tightest of my three stocks (or any other Mini stock I've used, for that matter). I do not expect any issues.
Old 02-23-2012, 16:27   #61
Points: 3,185, Level: 34 Points: 3,185, Level: 34 Points: 3,185, Level: 34
Last Achievements

Hey guys didn't want to start another thread so I'll piggy back off this one...
I got my Stock in this week. I didn't have much to contribute until now, so here's my review:

background:
I became interested in the mini when i discovered the Clyde armory scar stock. I got my tactical from cdnn last spring. I love it from the beginning. as finances would have it i would be saving up for the stock and just when i think i would pull the trigger and order one something else would come up. personally don't like the feel of the ATI and tapco. I had a stock for my mossberg and didn't care for it. they feel cheep to me and so I was hesitant to order the sparta. After searching for the best deal and deciding i could use the money i save to buy mags... I decided get one.

opinion:
Its awesome! It is rock solid and well made. the grip is a little thin so i will be putting a hogue over grip or something similar and I'm constantly searching for the safety selector with my thumb, lol. Hopefully I can get away this weekend and give a range report, we'll see.

soren
Attached Thumbnails
Archangel Sparta-mini-1.jpg   Archangel Sparta-mini-2.jpg  
Soren FAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 15:11   #62
Points: 2,207, Level: 28 Points: 2,207, Level: 28 Points: 2,207, Level: 28
Activity: 6.1% Activity: 6.1% Activity: 6.1%
Last Achievements

Mr. Snuffalupagus......you replied to a message I left on the Archangel Sparta Youtube site.....can you shed any light on modifying the top rail on the Sparta to work with a 181 model?
Slamskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 23:02   #63
Points: 1,970, Level: 26 Points: 1,970, Level: 26 Points: 1,970, Level: 26
Activity: 13.3% Activity: 13.3% Activity: 13.3%
Last Achievements

Originally Posted by bcavin View Post
Hey guys, I don't want to get anyones hopes up and it may just be a mistake, but I found two websites that list the archangel Spartan but say its not in stock. Maybe an indicator that it will be for sale soon?

Archangel Mini 14 Sparta Stock Blk - Trigger Action
It's in stock now

help me pick
Ted Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 01:40   #64
Odd Pachyderm thingy
Last Achievements

Originally Posted by Slamskie View Post
Mr. Snuffalupagus......you replied to a message I left on the Archangel Sparta Youtube site.....can you shed any light on modifying the top rail on the Sparta to work with a 181 model?
you are new, so you don't have access to private messages yet -
hopefully you see this.

the thread I posted is here:
Sparta Mod pic

it might help guide you some.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Old 03-18-2012, 12:59   #65
Registered Member
Points: 98, Level: 1 Points: 98, Level: 1 Points: 98, Level: 1
Last Achievements

Does anybody know if the Spartan will fit on the mini-14 Target ?
ThomasO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 13:12   #66
Odd Pachyderm thingy
Last Achievements

Originally Posted by ThomasO View Post
don't see why it wouldn't - it is a ranch receiver isn't it? - the only differences are a heavier barrel, the damper, and a .223 only spec chamber - right?

as long as the rear heel of the receiver matches the contour from the rear scope scallop back like a standard ranch - it'll fit.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Old 03-18-2012, 13:21   #67
#1 true dumb M-F'ing SOB
Points: 9,166, Level: 64 Points: 9,166, Level: 64 Points: 9,166, Level: 64
Activity: 7.3% Activity: 7.3% Activity: 7.3%
Last Achievements

Originally Posted by Mr. Snuffalupagus View Post
don't see why it wouldn't - it is a ranch receiver isn't it? - the only differences are a heavier barrel, the damper, and a .223 only spec chamber - right?

as long as the rear heel of the receiver matches the contour from the rear scope scallop back like a standard ranch - it'll fit.
^What he said.

AFAIK, the Target will fit into any stock meant for a 181-up Mini. In fact, I think one of the members around here recently put a Target into an ATI or some other tactical-style stock...
Old 03-18-2012, 13:22   #68
Registered Member
Last Achievements

thx for the reply
im pretty sure its the same all the way up to the gassblock..... so far this is the first pistolgrip stock iv seen that i actualy liked the looks off, nothing bad about the wood stock on the Target but it dosnt like rain
Old 03-18-2012, 13:27   #69
Odd Pachyderm thingy
Last Achievements

Originally Posted by COBrien View Post
^What he said.

AFAIK, the Target will fit into any stock meant for a 181-up Mini. In fact, I think one of the members around here recently put a Target into an ATI or some other tactical-style stock...

the problem is - with the Sparta since the the top cover fits so close to the top of the upper rear heel of the receiver - it has to be a ranch receiver with the scope cuts. not all 181-581 minis will work.

the older non ranch minis won't fit in it properly - the action will bed into the lower half fine, but the top cover won't fit due to the two "ears" stat stick up on either side when the rear sight is removed. (my 185 GB won't fit in a sparta... so I defected to the other side of the Aegean and threw my lot in with Troy. )

the top cover can be modded to fit - but it's not plug and play.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Old 03-18-2012, 13:38   #70
Registered Member
Last Achievements

great now i just have to find sombody that will ship it to Norway..... US export laws makes me cracy somtimes
Old 04-13-2012, 06:47   #71
Points: 1,970, Level: 26 Points: 1,970, Level: 26 Points: 1,970, Level: 26
Activity: 13.3% Activity: 13.3% Activity: 13.3%
Last Achievements

Looks like they got it back in stock

Archangel Mini 14 Sparta Stock Blk - Trigger Action

help me pick
Ted Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 18:26   #72
Last Achievements

Originally Posted by ThomasO View Post
Indeed it will, I've got the target in the Sparta and I'm busy waiting on Optics Planet to send me my order. Just been on order for six weeks, no big deal. Read in the sarcasm, in their defense, they've knocked off a bit to try and make it right.

One thing to keep in mind is that the Sparta stock is heavier than the OEM thumb hole stock. So if your trying to be all high speed and pull the charging handle back with your left hand and stay on target, best go to the gym since the Target is no light weight as is.
Old 05-03-2012, 20:27   #73
Odd Pachyderm thingy
Last Achievements

Originally Posted by streetgang View Post
One thing to keep in mind is that the Sparta stock is heavier than the OEM thumb hole stock. So if your trying to be all high speed and pull the charging handle back with your left hand and stay on target, best go to the gym since the Target is no light weight as is.

lol...

I can do it with my 11 pound Troy MCS 185 GB.

it ain't easy though

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Old 05-04-2012, 10:03   #74
Points: 10,274, Level: 67 Points: 10,274, Level: 67 Points: 10,274, Level: 67
Activity: 0.9% Activity: 0.9% Activity: 0.9%
Last Achievements

Its cool. Looks nice, but because of the weight factor I went with a Ulimak rail.

All I need is a light fast moving rifle I can run with and move quickly with.
Magog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 05:52   #75
Last Achievements

Originally Posted by Mr. Snuffalupagus View Post
lol...

I can do it with my 11 pound Troy MCS 185 GB.

it ain't easy though
Well you should as your title states "odd pachyderm thingy". Not sure what mine wieghs all I've got is a bathroom scale. It's a Target model, so I'll guess 100 to 120 pound.