Ruger Mini-14 and Mini-30 Ruger Mini-14 and Mini-30 family of rifles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2011, 10:45   #1
Points: 11,099, Level: 69 Points: 11,099, Level: 69 Points: 11,099, Level: 69
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Last Achievements

Question How far up or back would you mount a red dot sight on your Mini/Ranch?

The Ranch obviously has a scope mounting area right above the receiver, and thats a good spot to mount a standard scope so that you can look closely through it, but I've repeatedly read and seen that you should mount a red dot sight further forward on the rifle. I guess that means mounting it above the receiver where a scope would normally go is not a good idea.

So that means you'd need a rail mounted forward of the receiver to place the red dot. That can be accomplished by purchasing an aftermarket stock with a top rail that comes back far enough, so it could be mounted roughly in the middle of the rifle on top. Some stocks dont have rails though.

For people who dont want to change stocks, I guess you can buy a new barrel cover with a rail, if they make them(?)

Where did you mount your red dot or holo sight or where would you mount it?
Old 12-03-2011, 11:53   #2
Points: 14,701, Level: 78 Points: 14,701, Level: 78 Points: 14,701, Level: 78
Activity: 9.8% Activity: 9.8% Activity: 9.8%
Last Achievements

There is nothing that specifically requires you to mount a dot forward of the factory mounts. Some people prefer to mount optics forward to avoid ejecting brass, while others use mounts like the GG&G to span the factory mounts so that they can use regular weaver of picatinney rings, or the FastFire specific model:

As far as a forward mount, there are options like the Amega and the Ultimak, which do not require you to change your stock.

I use the Ultimak for my Burris red dot, but also use the factory rings for my Nikon Buckmaster. It would have been cheaper for me to go with a GG&G type rail, but I think the rifle benefits from the Ultimak as a barrel stiffener also.

Old 12-03-2011, 11:59   #3
Last Achievements

BTW - nice Falcon...Yours? I had a '64 Fairlane 500 that my dad and I restored and showed.
Old 12-03-2011, 20:38   #4
Points: 3,358, Level: 36 Points: 3,358, Level: 36 Points: 3,358, Level: 36
Activity: 18.2% Activity: 18.2% Activity: 18.2%
Last Achievements

Here is mine. Its not the sleekest gun on the block but the cheap dot shows up easily and is always dead on.

Icanthitabarn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 20:50   #5
Points: 13,816, Level: 76 Points: 13,816, Level: 76 Points: 13,816, Level: 76
Activity: 13.4% Activity: 13.4% Activity: 13.4%
Last Achievements

Red Dot mounted in 30mm quick detach rings

Mine is mounted like a traditional scope, in Warne QD rings. Works great for me and can be on and off very quickly without tools, and without loosing zero.
Attached Thumbnails
How far up or back would you mount a red dot sight on your Mini/Ranch?-16-mini-synthetic-aimpoint.jpg  
myname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 09:41   #6
Last Achievements

Exclamation Comet

Originally Posted by 45K20E4 View Post
BTW - nice Falcon...Yours? I had a '64 Fairlane 500 that my dad and I restored and showed.

No, not a Fairlane, but close.......

It's a '65 Mercury Comet Cyclone.
Old 12-04-2011, 09:53   #7
Last Achievements

There is nothing that specifically requires you to mount a dot forward of the factory mounts. Some people prefer to mount optics forward to avoid ejecting brass, while others use mounts like the GG&G to span the factory mounts so that they can use regular weaver of picatinney rings, or the FastFire specific model:

As far as a forward mount, there are options like the Amega and the Ultimak, which do not require you to change your stock.

I use the Ultimak for my Burris red dot, but also use the factory rings for my Nikon Buckmaster. It would have been cheaper for me to go with a GG&G type rail, but I think the rifle benefits from the Ultimak as a barrel stiffener also.

That looks good....

**A couple questions about that Ultimak mount...

1. Does it really grip the barrel and hold it tight enough to affect accuracy in a positive way?

2. Can that mount also be used with an aftermarket stock like the ATI or Tapco?

3. Does it weigh more or less than the stock barrel shroud?

Also, how much does your Mini weigh set up like that?

Thanks........
Old 12-04-2011, 10:39   #8
Last Achievements

Does it really grip the barrel and hold it tight enough to affect accuracy in a positive way?
Considering it is attached tot he gas block in the front, and clamped around the barrel toward the rear with a machined-fit block, I believe so...but this is just my opinion.

Can that mount also be used with an aftermarket stock like the ATI or Tapco?
I am not familiar enough with those stocks to say for sure. But Ultimak shows a the rail mounted with a Tapco stock:

Does it weigh more or less than the stock barrel shroud?
More, considering it's machined aluminum.

Also, how much does your Mini weigh set up like that?
Good question...not sure. The optic and ring were 6 oz. If I had to guess I'd say the rail weighed less than that. So between the two, maybe 10 oz over factory? I did have the sight mounted further forward, but then I decided to mount it all the way back for better balance.

The forward grip and rail it's mounted to are both polymer Magpul so the weight addition there is negligible.

Well, your avatar is too small to tell...looks like a Falcon to me. I always loved that body style. Here is my old Fairlane 500, now in the hands of a Ford collector in South Carolina. 260 V8 with the Ford-O-Matic 2 speed...

Old 12-04-2011, 12:22   #9
Points: 2,364, Level: 29 Points: 2,364, Level: 29 Points: 2,364, Level: 29
Activity: 22.5% Activity: 22.5% Activity: 22.5%
Last Achievements

Last edited by C.Montague; 08-02-2012 at 13:32.
C.Montague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 12:42   #10
Last Achievements

Considering it is attached tot he gas block in the front, and clamped around the barrel toward the rear with a machined-fit block, I believe so...but this is just my opinion.

I am not familiar enough with those stocks to say for sure. But Ultimak shows a the rail mounted with a Tapco stock:

More, considering it's machined aluminum.

Good question...not sure. The optic and ring were 6 oz. If I had to guess I'd say the rail weighed less than that. So between the two, maybe 10 oz over factory? I did have the sight mounted further forward, but then I decided to mount it all the way back for better balance.

The forward grip and rail it's mounted to are both polymer Magpul so the weight addition there is negligible.

Well, your avatar is too small to tell...looks like a Falcon to me. I always loved that body style. Here is my old Fairlane 500, now in the hands of a Ford collector in South Carolina. 260 V8 with the Ford-O-Matic 2 speed...

Actually, the Comet was built on a slightly stretched Falcon frame, so it's a bit longer, but the same width. Many people think they look a lot like the same year('65) GTO, but actually the Comet Cyclone is quite a bit lighter, and a whole lot more rare......

They originally came with a high performance 289 4v as the biggest engine option, due to the narrow engine bay, but Ford/Mercury made both an A/FX and a B/FX (FX= factory experimental) versions. The B/FX came with an even more powerful 289 with 2-4 barrels, fiberglass body panels and hood, 4 speed etc. The A/FX came with a big block Ford 427 engine, with same fiberglass panels and 4 speed. Both were factory made for racing, and kicked some serious butt in factory sponsored drag racing. But could also be ordered by the average Joe and driven on the street, once fitted with mufflers and other street legal necessities.

Anyway, back on subject....

I just looked up the Amega mount, and found an article where a guy wrote that it improved his Mini's accuracy a whole lot, and the Amega probably accomplishes the same exact thing as the Ultimak.
Old 12-04-2011, 14:42   #11
Points: 3,573, Level: 37 Points: 3,573, Level: 37 Points: 3,573, Level: 37
Last Achievements

I have a Weigand mini-14 mount and I asked the same question about it interfering with the shell casing ejection. I don't remember getting an answer but since then I fired my Mini-14 with the mount on and it worked 100%, no issues with the shells ejecting and hitting it. I did have to remove the rail in order to remove the bolt. Other's may be able to remove the bolt with the rail on but I couldn't get the right angle to remove the bolt with the rail on. Other than that, the mount worked fine with my Aimpoint H-1 red dot.
QB Too is offline   Reply With Quote