Perfect Union banner

Rebarreling

3K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  kwg020 
#1 ·
I fear this topic has likely been covered to death, but my search skills are poor. Can a competent smith install a new style tapered barrel on a 195 series mini? I love my 195, I have shot countless (read 1000's) of rounds through it with one FTE. 1 brass round got stuck after shooting approx 300 rounds of steel. I really would like a higher quality barrel, but am not interested in ASI barrels as they seem extremely weighty and costly. I keep toying with selling it and getting a newer ranch, but cannot bring myself to do it.
What are my options? I believe accustrut to be a superb product, but it seems to be an item which was meant to fix what is broken. Please do not take that as a negative opinion on the product, it is still a consideration for me.

#5 ·
I have shot thousands of rounds thru my 196 series also, it still keeps going. I love the feel of the action after it is worn in, I did polish mine to a very smooth feel. Its my go to rifle but one thing I have notice with mini's, the mags make a difference in accuracy. If you are having problems hitting or lost zero, try switching mags. I mark all my mags so I know which one to grab and give best accuracy.

#7 ·
I have an ASI modified Mini with the .625 diameter barrel. It's my favorite Mini. I called Ruger about putting on a new barrel on a 183 series and they wanted right at $400 to do it. Without saying it, they were telling me they did not want to open that can of worms and just priced it out of reach. Of course, with an ASI Mini, you get that nice heavy front gas block. Another way Ruger could improve the Mini and make it into the battle rifle it could truley be. kwg

#8 ·
At a certain point, you can spend so much, you could have just got an M1A Scout rifle

That's true but I don't reload for 308 and am not willing to invest the money to set up for it. But, if you want to convert an older Mini to something with a heavier barrel, Ruger will only do it if you throw them lots and lots of money. You are better off buying a new 581 Mini. I had my Mini's worked over before the 581 series and the accu struts were conceived. kwg

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.