Miculek loose after all - gas leakage
Decided to make sure I could get the comp off before going to the range, which didn't happen yesterday - maybe Tuesday.. Anyway, decided to set up to shoot with thread protector only, first, and then put the compensator back on at the range instead of possibly having to wrestle with trying to get the brake off in the field. I put a wrench on the jam nut and a large screwdriver shaft through the gas holes in the compensator and applied torque and was surprised to find it felt "sticky" (best word I can come up with for it) but wasn't really tight. I'd put blue Loctite on it and tightened up the jam nut pretty good as mentioned earlier. The comp hadn't rotated but the Loctite had melted and failed. As per the previous posting, I hadn't done a lot of shooting and only 1 mag dump over the last few range trips. I noticed that gasses had leaked back some through the threads, I cleaned the carbon off the brake and its threads look OK. The threads on the stainless 580 barrel are in perfect shape.
I saw discussions elsewhere where folks recommended drilling out the first baffle in the Miculek as it serves no function other than creates a non ported chamber between the end of the barrel and that first baffle. Due to some system error I couldn't attach the photo even after multiple tries. Will attempt to add it to a new post.. In some guns with longer barrel threading it's possible that barrel end would seat against this first baffle, but unlikely it would index properly. Can't see it serves a purpose and I agree with the speculation that it is useless. I do think it contributes to leakage and loosening by creating an unnecessary pressure chamber between the end of the barrel and that first baffle. I am going to drill that first baffle out before putting the brake back on my rifle.
Last edited by myname; 06-26-2011 at 05:08.
Reason: posted before I was finished