Perfect Union banner
34K views 33 replies 20 participants last post by  COBrien 
#1 ·
Gentlemen,

I am new to the world of Mini-14s, just purchased my 581 all-weather .223 a week ago. I have been looking into scout rails and I am wondering what a good one to get is.

Does anyone have a Amega rail on their Mini-14? This one is the nicest looking one and I like the ability to mount a tactical flashlight on the side. Is there even a chance putting this rail or any other scout rail will effect reliability of the rifle?

So input on scout rails, photos of your rifles with scout rails, all very appreciated! :D

#4 ·
I have one for sale right now with the Aimtech. I have mounted it for about a year and a half. NOt sure if I like it or not. You have to look through a window to get your sights. Easy to mount though and you can put alot of stuff on it.

I am trending towards going back to irons for most applicaitons.

#5 ·
I have the Amega Ranges Mini Scout Mount rail on my Mini-14. I mount a scout scope or a red dot on it, depending on what I'm doing.

I chose this option because I do not have a Ranch Rifle, and therefore no integrated scope options on the receiver. I did not want to use a B-square type mount that replaces the bolt stop cover plate.

It is a well-made piece, and does not adversely affect the performance or reliability of my rifle.

If you take your time and purchase an extra set of gas block screws, you shouldn't have any problems with the gas system when you install it.

Attachments

#6 ·
geigersd- Thanks for the input. Looks like a nice set up! I know you don't have to be a rocket scientist to install the scout rail, but the thought of tampering with the gas block of a brand new $750 dollar rifle is a bit intimidating.

Still undecided...

#7 ·
I also have an Amega on mine, no complaints. The hardest part of the install is just making sure to install the gas block screws with even torque. I have no experience with the Aimtech; however, I can tell you that you probably don't want to run this mount:

Don't recall who makes it, this is a stock photo I pulled off of another Mini-14 sight. I had a third rail slot milled out in the center of mine by a machine shop to be able to center an Aimpoint on the rail. I found that it made the rifle extremely front heavy. Swinging the rifle from target to target, you had to try to stop before you were on target as it resisted you and tried to keep moving. Went with the Amega because the rail goes back to the receiver with no "dead space" on it. Hope this helps...

#27 ·
Are you able to co-witness irons with the Burris scope?
Ultimak says that older Minis were able to co-witness with some optics, but that the newer rifles have lower profile sights and are less likely to co-witness. I'd love to put an AImpoint H-1 on a scout rail, and still be able to glimpse my iron sights through it if I need them.

#9 ·
My Mini came with a scout rail

Guys, my mini-14 shipped with a rail that looks like an Amega already mounted.
Anyone know what supplier they used? I have a Leupold handgun scope on low lever mounts that I put on it, but no photos with the scope.
Sorry, all I have on hand were insurance photos, crap lighting.

Attachments

#11 ·
I agree, it looks like the Amega. Rail area goes all the way back (not Ultimak) and it's not "see through" (not Aimtech).

#12 ·
Not to rain on your parade, but what are you looking to mount on the rail? If it is a scope I would go with the rings first. Due to the limited eye relief of a scope mounted on a scout rail it could be very uncomfortable. To get my scope mounted where it was comfortable (as to not strain my neck) it had be mounted significantly to the rear (using rings), I couldn't imagine it mounted that far forward.

I recommend doing what 45K20E4 did above (in the second pic) mounting two small rails on both sides of the stock. This won't disturb your line of sight and allows you to install sling swivels, lights, lasers, etc. and it doesn't require that you mess with the gas block.

#14 ·
Like the Amega rail

I do like the Amega rail that came on my rifle. It seems solid as can be, and when the optic comes off (quick release levers), the iron sights are instantly available. I also like the ability to side mount extra rails, or not. The low power scout scope or red dot is adequate at the ranges I expect to be shooting. The couple of guys I know who hunt coyote here (Iowa) say they always come in pretty close with the call, so the shots are all (so far) between 60 and 150 yards. I also have family in TX, FL, VA and NC to hunt with, would love to get a Texas pig, we'll see. I will use my mini mostly for targets, but hunt sometimes too.

#17 ·
Streetmini, the mount you have pictured is one of the mounts I've used on my AC, it actually worked extremely well for what I wanted it to do. It is definitely a heavy piece, it made out of a solid block of stainless. Even with my 13" barrel the rifle was noticeably front heavy but not so much that it was a negative factor.

I have since taken it off, I like the gas block top strap mounted front sight for the shooting that I do now. I also couldn't use my original side swivel gas block because of clearance issues with the scout mount, so I had to use a spare blued bottom swivel gas block I had.

This mount also makes it necessary to field strip the rifle with the hand guard in place, the angle needed to remove the hand guard is blocked by the scout mount. Once field stripped the hand guard can be rotated to one side slightly and pulled off.

#19 ·
I had an Amega rail which came with my 16" 580 which I bought second hand. I ended up selling selling the rail used for $100, because I didn't like the added weight feeling of the rail when I set a scope on it just to see how it felt. Maybe with a real light red dot it would have been OK. Was going to try that but my TRS-25 red dot broke its mounting bolt and it took a couple of months to get that resolved with Bushnell so I never did try it. If I could have an ideal forward mount rail for the Mini, it would be very light weight with a small light alloy rail for the top of the gas block, and then some sort of composite material going back like the vented handrails do. Maybe there's
a market for something like that? Any opinions?

This post has been deleted
#25 ·
I have a 10/22 scout mounted with a $40 UAG scope and I love it. Very quick on target, and deadly accurate. Holds zero when removed, too. I have a Burris Scout scope waiting to go on my Mini Tactical, just cant justify dropping the ~$150 for the mount with the scarcity of centerfire ranges around here. I have decided on the Ultimak which I believe is the lowest-to-bore, and lighter vs the Amega. Anyone have an Ultimak for a 580 series they wanna get rid of?

Also I would think that the forward heavy scout mount would aid for quicker follow-up shots, much like a muzzle break/brake, reducing recoil.

#26 ·
Star, the original front sight on 13" AC556 rifles was an integral part of the top strap of the gas block assembly. there was no bayonet lug/front sight on these models.

That piece is relatively rare, there was an aftermarket version made that is a 99% copy of the original that appears sporadically for sale on eBay and other auction sites. They were made by a company called Briklee, I bought one when I had the chance and it is extremely well made and possibly better than the original.

The original Ruger made part is extremely rare and the only way you'll get one is to be extremely lucky and pick one up from a parts kit, the vast majority of front sights sold on auction sites and elsewhere are actually the aftermarket Briklee version.

#29 · (Edited)
Scout Mount

I've been using this mount with the Leupold LG-35 for 8-10 years and like it a lot. This seems to be similar, if not the same mount that streetmini posted previously in this thread. I say similar because streetmini's seems to have a step in the base that this one doesn't have. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be available anymore, so you'd have to get real lucky find one.
It's not obvious in this pic, but the mount is hollowed out to make the iron sights available. The hand-guard can be removed without removing the mount, but it's a tight squeeze.

#31 ·
I've been using this mount with the Leupold LG-35 for 8-10 years and like it a lot. This seems to be similar, if not the same mount that streetmini posted previously in this thread. I say similar because streetmini's seems to have a step in the base that this one doesn't have. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be available anymore, so you'd have to get real lucky find one.
It's not obvious in this pic, but the mount is hollowed out to make the iron sights available.
That's a Ranch Products mount. I ordered one a year ago and modified it to fit my 580-series Mini. They're hard to find on the retail market, as they're intended only for pre-580 Minis. Having said that, MidwayUSA usually carries them in blued for Mini-14s, and ASI will send you one for an additional 20% above Midway's price...because they're special like that.

You can also order directly from Ranch Products -- which is what I did.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.