Ruger Mini-14 and Mini-30 Ruger Mini-14 and Mini-30 family of rifles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2011, 21:18   #1
Points: 4,752, Level: 44 Points: 4,752, Level: 44 Points: 4,752, Level: 44
Activity: 1.5% Activity: 1.5% Activity: 1.5%
Last Achievements

Sending Guns to Ruger for Service

I am ending the procrastination of sending my Mini-14 back to Ruger. I am finally doing it. It will go out on a UPS truck tomorrow. Hopefully, it will come back, and never jam again. For those of you that have sent rifles back to Ruger for service, do you leave the magazines in the gun, or do you remove them and keep them?
Old 04-28-2011, 21:44   #2
Points: 6,197, Level: 51 Points: 6,197, Level: 51 Points: 6,197, Level: 51
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Last Achievements

Hi wingspar,

Keep the magazine normally however, if you feel they are suspect in the jamming, I would include one with a note stating your concern. If you even think you want to keep the box it came in with the SN on the endflap, don't send it back in that...it will be "lost"!

Ed
edorfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 23:45   #3
Last Achievements

Thanks Ed. Iíll keep my magazines then. I have two 20 round factory magazines, and I donít suspect the magazines as part of the problem. Ruger suggests sending the gun in a plain brown box, and Iím going to head over to the FFL in the morning and pick up one I can use, pack the gun up, and get it back to the FFL before UPS gets there. I have a letter and some photos all ready to pack with the gun. I sure hope it comes back fixed, and never jams again.
Old 04-29-2011, 04:13   #4
Points: 974, Level: 16 Points: 974, Level: 16 Points: 974, Level: 16
Last Achievements

Gary...Just a little shipping info for you. BATF rules allow the firearm owner to ship the firearm directly to a repair facility and the authorized repair facility is allowed to send the firearm directly to the owner. No FFL involvement needed. I created an account with FEDEX (cost nothing) which gives me a discount on shipping and I have control on the firearms progress. Any shipping containers should have a box certificate which indicates the amount of shipping abuse the container can withstand. If the box you select does not have this info on it, do not use it as if shipping damage does occur, the carrier can deny the damage claim.

Good luck
Meganticoutlaw
meganticoutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 05:51   #5
Points: 1,400, Level: 20 Points: 1,400, Level: 20 Points: 1,400, Level: 20
Activity: 1.6% Activity: 1.6% Activity: 1.6%
Last Achievements

Originally Posted by meganticoutlaw View Post
Gary...Just a little shipping info for you. BATF rules allow the firearm owner to ship the firearm directly to a repair facility and the authorized repair facility is allowed to send the firearm directly to the owner. No FFL involvement needed. I created an account with FEDEX (cost nothing) which gives me a discount on shipping and I have control on the firearms progress. Any shipping containers should have a box certificate which indicates the amount of shipping abuse the container can withstand. If the box you select does not have this info on it, do not use it as if shipping damage does occur, the carrier can deny the damage claim.

Good luck
Meganticoutlaw
This applies to long guns ONLY. Handguns have their own set of rules and regulations. Don't get caught sending a handgun this way, it will most certainly ruin your day.
mseric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 09:50   #6
Last Achievements

Originally Posted by meganticoutlaw View Post
The FFL is the only UPS hub within 30 miles. The FFL does not charge for shipping. They just treat it like any other package. I have no idea if Ruger notifies the receiver when they ship a gun back and provides a tracking number, so I decided to have them ship it back to the FFL since someone is there all the time. They will call me when itís back. The FFL wonít charge me for that unless Ruger charges them for the shipping, then Iíll have to pay for that. Iím hoping Ruger pays for the return shipping.

As for the container, I asked the FFL if they had any plain brown boxes I could use, and they said yes, so Iíll head over and pick up a box this morning. Iím assuming they are aware of any problems with flimsy boxes, so I should get an acceptable box. I have tons of packing material, so it will be well protected. If not, my only choice is to use my original box, and Iíd rather not do that. UPS doesnít pick up till 3 pm or later, so I can take my time packing it up, and getting it to the FFL.
Old 04-29-2011, 14:23   #7
Points: 3,139, Level: 34 Points: 3,139, Level: 34 Points: 3,139, Level: 34
Last Achievements

Originally Posted by mseric View Post
This applies to long guns ONLY. Handguns have their own set of rules and regulations. Don't get caught sending a handgun this way, it will most certainly ruin your day.
I've shipped handguns FedEx to 'smiths, before. Declared it as a handgun. All they asked was if it was unloaded.
Old 04-29-2011, 18:08   #8
Last Achievements

Well, my Mini-14 is now on a UPS truck. One question I have not been able to get an answer to is when Ruger ships the gun back, do they email you a notice that it has been shipped along with a tracking number?

Itís nice to know when itís coming, but since I was unable to find out, Iím having the gun shipped back to the FFL, who has to log the gun in, and do a background check. If Ruger sends notification of shipping and tracking, Iíll have them ship the gun directly back to me.
Old 04-30-2011, 00:11   #9
Last Achievements

Originally Posted by PM66 View Post
I've shipped handguns FedEx to 'smiths, before. Declared it as a handgun. All they asked was if it was unloaded.
Bull, not true, not true at all, BULL.

UPS: Shipping Firearms

The Gun Zone -- Shipping Firearms

GunBroker.com - Help Center

How to Ship a Handgun in the United States | eHow.com

The Myth of Higher Handgun Shipping Costs

USPS Firearm Shipping Regulations -

Like I said Bull.
Old 04-30-2011, 00:17   #10
Last Achievements

FedEx Firearm Shipping Regulations -

Basically, You Lie!
Old 04-30-2011, 00:41   #11
Points: 6,197, Level: 51 Points: 6,197, Level: 51 Points: 6,197, Level: 51
Last Achievements

Originally Posted by mseric View Post
Hi mseric,

I'm not taking a stand/picking a fight here but, I believe FedEx WILL ship a handgun...just not via FedEx Ground...long guns yes, handguns no. FedEx Express Overnight service is required for handguns and it is done all the time. I also believe BATF rules allow individuals to ship handguns to registered gunsmiths, dealers, and manufacturers and have the hanguns returned directly to the individual...via FedEx or even UPS Express Overnight service. The "catch" is it MUST be OVERNIGHT service and one party must have an FFL. Unless you can prove my understanding wrong...that's what I run with.

Ed
edorfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 05:07   #12
Last Achievements

Originally Posted by edorfox View Post
Hi mseric,

I'm not taking a stand/picking a fight here but, I believe FedEx WILL ship a handgun...just not via FedEx Ground...long guns yes, handguns no. FedEx Express Overnight service is required for handguns and it is done all the time. I also believe BATF rules allow individuals to ship handguns to registered gunsmiths, dealers, and manufacturers and have the hanguns returned directly to the individual...via FedEx or even UPS Express Overnight service. The "catch" is it MUST be OVERNIGHT service and one party must have an FFL. Unless you can prove my understanding wrong...that's what I run with.

Ed
FedEx and UPS handgun shipping is next day air and cost over $80. Far cry from a simple "declared it a handgun"
Old 04-30-2011, 06:22   #13
Points: 11,033, Level: 69 Points: 11,033, Level: 69 Points: 11,033, Level: 69
Activity: 0.9% Activity: 0.9% Activity: 0.9%
Last Achievements

Originally Posted by wingspar View Post
Well, my Mini-14 is now on a UPS truck. One question I have not been able to get an answer to is when Ruger ships the gun back, do they email you a notice that it has been shipped along with a tracking number?

Itís nice to know when itís coming, but since I was unable to find out, Iím having the gun shipped back to the FFL, who has to log the gun in, and do a background check. If Ruger sends notification of shipping and tracking, Iíll have them ship the gun directly back to me.
Wing - I did this about a month ago, not with a mini but another ruger. I called the customer service line and they gave me the return tracking number and eta. For all the complaints I see on ruger service, I have none! They were fast, fixed the minor problem (which was my own doing!) and did not charge me a cent! I'd give them a few days once it gets there and call the cutomer service rep on the website. Hope that helps. 5L
Old 04-30-2011, 09:18   #14
Points: 974, Level: 16 Points: 974, Level: 16 Points: 974, Level: 16
Last Achievements

Confusing yes...This is from FEDEX (Where not prohibited by local, state and federal law, from individuals to licensed importers, licensed manufacturers or licensed dealers (and return of same).

We are the individuals...Ruger is the licensed manufacturer...return the same means Ruger can send the firearm back to the individual...Important part is;Where not prohibited by local, state and federal law. Shipping a handgun is by next day only. The last time I shipped one it was $35.00 but I am sure the cost has risen.

Revised 1/31/11

Item 780 Rule

* Prohibited or Restricted Articles

Alcoholic Beverages
Only licensed entities may ship alcohol of any type with FedEx. For more information, go to fedex.com/us/wine. Consumers may not ship alcohol.
Licensee to Licensee. FedEx will accept alcohol shipments (beer, wine and spirits) when both the shipper and recipient are either licensed wholesalers, licensed dealers, licensed distributors, licensed manufacturers or licensed importers, subject to additional requirements and all applicable laws and regulations. Contact your FedEx account executive for complete details.
Licensee to Consumer. FedEx will accept wine shipments from licensed entities directly to consumers, subject to additional requirements and all applicable laws and regulations. Contact your FedEx account executive for complete details. Shipments of beer or spirits to consumers are prohibited.
Alcoholic Beverages will not be accepted for shipment to Canadafrom the U.S.
Firearms
Carrier will transport and deliver firearms as defined by the United States Gun Control Act of 1968, between areas served in the U.S., but only between:
Licensed importers; licensed manufacturers; licensed dealers; licensed collectors; law enforcement agencies of the U.S.or any department or agency thereof; and law enforcement agencies of any state or any department, agency or political subdivisions thereof; or
Where not prohibited by local, state and federal law, from individuals to licensed importers, licensed manufacturers or licensed dealers (and return of same).
Carrier cannot ship or deliver firearms C.O.D.
Upon presenting the goods for shipment, the person tendering the shipment to Carrier is required to notify Carrier that the shipment contains a firearm. The outside of the package(s) must not be marked, labeled or otherwise identify that the package(s) contains a firearm.
The shipper and recipient must be of legal age as identified by applicable law.
The shipper and recipient are required to comply with all applicable government regulations and laws, including those pertaining to labeling. The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives can provide assistance.
Carrier will transport small-arms ammunition when packed and labeled in compliance with local, state and federal law, and the Hazardous Materials section of this Service Guide. Ammunition is an explosive and must be shipped separately as hazardous materials. You agree not to ship loaded firearms or firearms with ammunition in the same package.
meganticoutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 10:42   #15
Last Achievements

Originally Posted by 5legion View Post
Wing - I did this about a month ago, not with a mini but another ruger. I called the customer service line and they gave me the return tracking number and eta. For all the complaints I see on ruger service, I have none! They were fast, fixed the minor problem (which was my own doing!) and did not charge me a cent! I'd give them a few days once it gets there and call the cutomer service rep on the website. Hope that helps. 5L
Thanks for that info. How did you know they shipped it? Did they notify you that they shipped it, or did you just keep calling to find out?

I do have a tracking number for shipping the gun to them, and Iíll give them a call after they have had it a few days. Thatís a good idea. If I can get a tracking number for when the gun is shipped back to me, Iíd also like to have them ship it directly to me, and not to the FFL, who told me yesterday when I went in to ship the gun that they are forced to log the gun in, and run a background check. $10. Seems stupid to me. I already own the gun.

I have already asked the question via their web site email, but it takes them a long time to answer. Iím sure it will all work fine, but being the first time Iíve sent a gun to Ruger, I do have a few questions their FAQ on their web site doesnít even come close to answering.
Old 04-30-2011, 13:04   #16
TOF
Points: 2,021, Level: 27 Points: 2,021, Level: 27 Points: 2,021, Level: 27
Last Achievements

If you have a question that only Ruger can answer then call them. email answers works on a 3 day cycle but we sometimes need quicker response. If you wait a few days after they receive it they may have it on its way back before you call. They won't mind if you call immediatly.

The last gun I had repaired by the factory was a Smith & Wesson. They did not notify me it was coming back but FedX did by calling to make certain an adult would be available to take delivery. I live in a very low population zone where FedX doesn't like to deliver (100 miles for 1 package) so that may have had some to do with it.

I expect it will work out well but understand the concern.
TOF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 19:18   #17
Last Achievements

Originally Posted by TOF View Post
If you have a question that only Ruger can answer then call them. email answers works on a 3 day cycle but we sometimes need quicker response. If you wait a few days after they receive it they may have it on its way back before you call. They won't mind if you call immediatly.

I expect it will work out well but understand the concern.
Their method of receiving guns for service totally raises more questions and concerns than anything else, and getting answers is like draining blood from a turnip. Itís frustrating to deal with, but I have dealt with this kind of service before, and once you do it, you see how it works, but till then, itís just questions and anxiety.

I figure it will take at least 2 to 3 days to get the gun into their system after they receive it, so thatís when Iíll call them. I donít see them getting it done, and sending the gun back to me that fast.
Old 04-30-2011, 20:40   #18
Points: 9,789, Level: 66 Points: 9,789, Level: 66 Points: 9,789, Level: 66
Activity: 61.8% Activity: 61.8% Activity: 61.8%
Last Achievements

Originally Posted by wingspar View Post
Their method of receiving guns for service totally raises more questions and concerns than anything else, and getting answers is like draining blood from a turnip. Itís frustrating to deal with, but I have dealt with this kind of service before, and once you do it, you see how it works, but till then, itís just questions and anxiety.

I figure it will take at least 2 to 3 days to get the gun into their system after they receive it, so thatís when Iíll call them. I donít see them getting it done, and sending the gun back to me that fast.
If you send a note with the rifle asking for a quote on repairs, and giving them your contact info, they will send you a letter and give you a contact phone # and person. I think you are overanalyzing this and fretting over a molehill. BTW you could have just sent the rifle direct to ruger through the US postal service. I did that and it cost me about $10 a few years back, and the original box didn't come back with the mini. No ffl hassles, even in Ca.
40nascar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 15:49   #19
Points: 3,233, Level: 35 Points: 3,233, Level: 35 Points: 3,233, Level: 35
Last Achievements

lets face it sometimes things just don't operate like they should, and they need to be repaired...I have a mini-14 ranch and a Mini-30 tac. They both operate flawlessly, however I did also purchase the SR556. It jammed nearly every third or fifth round. Needless to say I was not a happy camper...I sent it back per the instructions on Rugers web sight and per the requirements here in the neanderthal state of ILL. ....They received it on a Tuesday, I received a card in the mail that Friday telling me who to contact with the repair number to check progress of repair...That very same Friday UPS knocks at my door 3hrs later with my rifle...problem was with the feeding ramp....I could not be any happier with Rugers customer service in the way my SR556 was repaired and returned...And I have not had a problem since...I love my Mini's and I tell you what the SR556 is also a hoot to shoot....Sometimes reading thru these comments I see alot of "cart before the horse" type of thinking...nothing personal just a thought
bpartwthog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 10:13   #20
Last Achievements

I dropped the gun off at UPS last Friday. Just checked the tracking, and it will be delivered to Ruger on May 9. Total of 10 days. I had no idea UPS could be so fast, and it wasnít cheap either. $28. I do look forward to getting it back, and having zero jams and strong ejections.
Old 05-02-2011, 10:52   #21
Points: 4,150, Level: 40 Points: 4,150, Level: 40 Points: 4,150, Level: 40
Activity: 1.4% Activity: 1.4% Activity: 1.4%
Last Achievements

If you included your E-mail address in the box they will send you a UPS Tracking number when they ship it back because a signature is required for delivery. If you are not home they will leave a tag for you to sign, but I sure wouldn't want them to leave on the porch. All rifles sent to Ruger go both ways UPS Ground...they don't use FedEx...at least not when I shipped them guns.
ArizonaShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 10:58   #22
Last Achievements

Originally Posted by ArizonaShooter View Post
If you included your E-mail address in the box they will send you a UPS Tracking number when they ship it back because a signature is required for delivery. If you are not home they will leave a tag for you to sign, but I sure wouldn't want them to leave on the porch. All rifles sent to Ruger go both ways UPS Ground...they don't use FedEx...at least not when I shipped them guns.
I did include my email address along with all the other information, telephone number and other stuff that they required as per their web site, and the email I got from them. Thank you for that info. That is very good to know.
Old 05-03-2011, 18:37   #23
Points: 11,033, Level: 69 Points: 11,033, Level: 69 Points: 11,033, Level: 69
Last Achievements

Wing- I had to proactively call them to confirm it had already shipped and then I was able to get the tracking #. It was very fast and the lady was actually so helpful I was surprised based on other stories I'd seen on PU regarding Ruger service. Would have liked to get an email, but heck, hard to complain when she said it had already been fixed and was en route home. Really, they've earned my continued business with this one, which works great as I generally love Rugers! 5L
Old 05-03-2011, 19:19   #24
Points: 9,696, Level: 66 Points: 9,696, Level: 66 Points: 9,696, Level: 66
Last Achievements

The last gun I sent to Ruger was a GP-100. Via ups had to take it to the main depot in Phoenix and send it over night that's the only way UPS will ship a hand gun cost was $35.00 got it back in 10 days I'm more then satisfied.

Paul
One Nation, Under God
I am the weapon. The gun is merely a tool.
happy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 16:38   #25
Points: 7,488, Level: 57 Points: 7,488, Level: 57 Points: 7,488, Level: 57
Last Achievements

not to add to the flame war that seems to be starting. i shipped a ruger "automatic pistol" back to ruger via ups NEXT DAY. it was a wreck and i could not fix it or make it run. they went thru it and shipped it back with some new parts fitted FREE OF CHARGE. i only paid my end of shipping. my supervisor is an ffl so it went thru his shop. it went in a plain brown box. im not sure how it was declared- as it was upon his word that it should go back to ruger to be fixed or replaced.
cdevon1200 is offline   Reply With Quote