Ruger Mini-14 and Mini-30 Ruger Mini-14 and Mini-30 family of rifles

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2011, 17:54   #1
Full Member
Points: 2,013, Level: 27 Points: 2,013, Level: 27 Points: 2,013, Level: 27
Activity: 1.0% Activity: 1.0% Activity: 1.0%
Last Achievements
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 34
Ammo types for mini 30 and report after having a few days.

I ordered a mini 30 this week and it will be in on Friday. I had a real hard time deciding between the mini 14 and 30.

But I decided to go with the 30 because of the 7.62 round. I have a small collection of SKS's and AK's and a large supply of surplus ammunition.

I thought it would be best of stick with as few calibers as possible.

But after I placed the order I started to read the forums about all the neat things I could do to the new gun , and I find lots of people saying that their 30's did not take to kindly to European ammo.

Please tell me that isn't always the case , as bulk surplus ammo is the cheapest way to shoot and when you have your own range in your back yard , you tend to go through a lot of ammo.

Or do I really have to buy the dollar a round stuff and just shoot my new gun on my birthday and special occasions ?

I knew there was a reason that I liked those commie guns , besides all the pretty wood on them.

Last edited by wchancey; 04-24-2011 at 10:22. Reason: To add more info
wchancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 18:18   #2
Full Member
Points: 18,795, Level: 86 Points: 18,795, Level: 86 Points: 18,795, Level: 86
Activity: 41.8% Activity: 41.8% Activity: 41.8%
Last Achievements
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: behind usmc w/size 14 boot in 'his' @ss
Posts: 4,939
the steel cased ammo is all berdan primed - not good for the Mini. check your manual.
there is brass cased berdam primed Yugo surpus available, mildy corrosive primed but shot good for me. it's about the best deal going now.
__________________
'the beatings will continue until morale improves'
Marlin 45 carbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 19:15   #3
Full Member
Points: 1,400, Level: 20 Points: 1,400, Level: 20 Points: 1,400, Level: 20
Activity: 1.6% Activity: 1.6% Activity: 1.6%
Last Achievements
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 130
Yup, the Mini-30 will not handle the Berdan primed ammo very well. Ruger had a marketing video claiming that the Mini-30 would shoot the Bredan primed steel cased ammo just fine. They have since pulled it off their web site and have reverted back to their original warning. Shoot it if you want to, but expect a trip back to Ruger for a new firing pin.
mseric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 22:40   #4
Full Member
Points: 9,778, Level: 66 Points: 9,778, Level: 66 Points: 9,778, Level: 66
Activity: 58.2% Activity: 58.2% Activity: 58.2%
Last Achievements
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Natagua
Posts: 2,887
For best bang for the buck, this works reliably for me:

1) Yugo brass cased - ammoman.com or J&G sales - about 20c per round
2) Silver bear 123 gr. softpoint - Sportmans Guide - about 25c per round

a little more expensive, but reloadable brass - S&B About $10/box - Cabela's

these all shoot reliably with no FTF's in my mini. Best wishes.
40nascar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 22:48   #5
Odd Pachyderm thingy
Points: 13,533, Level: 75 Points: 13,533, Level: 75 Points: 13,533, Level: 75
Activity: 14.4% Activity: 14.4% Activity: 14.4%
Last Achievements
 
Mr. Snuffalupagus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: someplace sunny
Posts: 1,296
Originally Posted by 40nascar View Post
For best bang for the buck, this works reliably for me:

1) Yugo brass cased - ammoman.com or J&G sales - about 20c per round
2) Silver bear 123 gr. softpoint - Sportmans Guide - about 25c per round

a little more expensive, but reloadable brass - S&B About $10/box - Cabela's

these all shoot reliably with no FTF's in my mini. Best wishes.

Have not tried the yugo milsurp,
but I run silver bear for blasting ammo (no FTFs with it for me either)
the S and B is good too.
__________________
Ua Mau ke Ea o ka ʻĀina i ka Pono

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Mr. Snuffalupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 23:32   #6
Full Member
Points: 18,539, Level: 86 Points: 18,539, Level: 86 Points: 18,539, Level: 86
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Last Achievements
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Desert SW
Posts: 229
I only run factory brass WWB, Fiocchi, PMC, and my own reloads in my M30T. I made this decision after reading all info on this forum. Why mess with anything else? You are only asking for trouble or at least extra work cleaning with Berdan steel-cases or corrosive Yugo.

People are forever buying U.S. made firearms (bolt actions, single-shots, as well as Minis) chambered for X39 in the vain hope of being able to shoot cheap Russian ammo. This doesn't work as well as we would like, so we need to just get over it...and count the added cost.

M

Last edited by m1key; 04-21-2011 at 22:06.
m1key is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 11:58   #7
Full Member
Points: 11,940, Level: 71 Points: 11,940, Level: 71 Points: 11,940, Level: 71
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Last Achievements
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: San Antonio TX
Posts: 348
Wolf and Tulammo now make Boxer non-corrosive rounds, still steal cased but not Berdan primed. The Wolf ammo is in a black and yelllow box and is still a cheap as before.
__________________
Life is the transision between birth and death, live it wisely but live it full
Amrhein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 19:00   #8
Full Member
Points: 2,013, Level: 27 Points: 2,013, Level: 27 Points: 2,013, Level: 27
Activity: 1.0% Activity: 1.0% Activity: 1.0%
Last Achievements
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 34
Well after reading all the boards that I can find with mini 30 information , I would say that more people shoot berdan primed steel ammo than not.

Without ill effects FTF and broken firing pins seem to be the complaints and in comparison to all the hard primers being shot the numbers aren't really that bad.

When I pick up my mini tomorrow I am going to break it in on Golden Tiger and see what happens. Then I'll try a few rounds of all the flavors that I have.

S&B , Golden Tiger , Tula , Silver Bear , Ulyanovsk , Brown Bear and Hornady SST. If it won't shoot this stuff it will be up for sale pretty quick. And if it doesn't work at least I have the guns that do like it.

After all the reading I have done I wish I had went with the Mini 14 and 223.

Anyone interested in a new Mini 30 , Maybe.
wchancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 22:01   #9
Full Member
Points: 9,778, Level: 66 Points: 9,778, Level: 66 Points: 9,778, Level: 66
Activity: 58.2% Activity: 58.2% Activity: 58.2%
Last Achievements
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Natagua
Posts: 2,887
If its a standard 581 stainless (not tactical) M30, then I might be interested. LMK.
40nascar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 00:58   #10
Full Member
Points: 7,463, Level: 57 Points: 7,463, Level: 57 Points: 7,463, Level: 57
Activity: 3.4% Activity: 3.4% Activity: 3.4%
Last Achievements
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Near Memphis.
Posts: 524
Monarch (Academy stores) causes some FTFs in my original Mini 30: '04 vintage?.
I don't know whether the previous owner left the original firing spring in it.

Wolf ammo very seldom causes any ftfs or stovebolts in it, and both metal 10-rd. Promags work pretty well.

wchancey:
If we had no Russian-made ammo and had to pay the high prices for US-made ammo, I never would have bought the Mini 14, 30, nor the SKS.

And without the lower-priced surplus x54R, 8mm Mauser and .303 ammo (this surplus caliber has dried up), never would have bought my three MNs, the Yugo Mauser or the first of my five Enfields.
Ignition Override is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 07:05   #11
Full Member
Points: 2,013, Level: 27 Points: 2,013, Level: 27 Points: 2,013, Level: 27
Activity: 1.0% Activity: 1.0% Activity: 1.0%
Last Achievements
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 34
Originally Posted by Ignition Override View Post
Monarch (Academy stores) causes some FTFs in my original Mini 30: '04 vintage?.
I don't know whether the previous owner left the original firing spring in it.

Wolf ammo very seldom causes any ftfs or stovebolts in it, and both metal 10-rd. Promags work pretty well.

wchancey:
If we had no Russian-made ammo and had to pay the high prices for US-made ammo, I never would have bought the Mini 14, 30, nor the SKS.

And without the lower-priced surplus x54R, 8mm Mauser and .303 ammo (this surplus caliber has dried up), never would have bought my three MNs, the Yugo Mauser or the first of my five Enfields.
You sound like me. I love those eastern Bloc rifles , but they are so much fun to shoot specially the AK's.

I have to have the cheap ammo or what good are all those 30 round mags ?

I am just hoping that since this is a brand new Mini 30 there have been improvements made to handle the cheap ammo.

I should find out soon it was supposed to be at my FFL today.
wchancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 08:26   #12
Full Member
Points: 18,795, Level: 86 Points: 18,795, Level: 86 Points: 18,795, Level: 86
Activity: 41.8% Activity: 41.8% Activity: 41.8%
Last Achievements
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: behind usmc w/size 14 boot in 'his' @ss
Posts: 4,939
I have read good reports of the Wolf Military Classic (camo box) but have'nt tryed it.
I tryed 'silver bear' and it shot well but had some ftf w/it.
I've shot the Yugo brass-cased mil-surp (mildly corro primed) with good results, no ftf. of course a wash-down with windex or soapy water is needed after shooting this stuff but no real trouble. it's about the cheapest X39 available nowadays. I plan on getting more of it for 'plinking'.
__________________
'the beatings will continue until morale improves'
Marlin 45 carbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 14:01   #13
Full Member
Points: 2,013, Level: 27 Points: 2,013, Level: 27 Points: 2,013, Level: 27
Activity: 1.0% Activity: 1.0% Activity: 1.0%
Last Achievements
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 34
Ok, so I went a picked up my Mini 30 today and was all excited.

I brought home open the box took out all the little bags , and the magazine was in three pieces , is it supposed to be that way ?

I put the magazine together and loaded 2 each of every brand of 7.62 that I have , I put the Hornady SST first because it was the only American made ammo that I had.

All of the cartridges failed to fire the were light strikes you could see that each one had been struck but not hard enough I guess.

When it got to the Hornady the USA made it fired but would not eject the spent shell casing like made it had expanded and got stuck.

So I took out the magazine and took out the last unfired Hornady.

I took all the Russian ammo that had dimpled and put it into the AK and shot it just to get rid of it.

I then boxed up the gun with the stuck casing and went back to the gun dealer and told him my problems.

But because it had fired once he said that it had to go back to Ruger. We put the gun in a vice and with a rod tapped out the stuck casing.

I decided to buy a box of Remington American made , to try and see what would happen , when I got home I first loaded 5 Tula , Russian made , 5 of the Hornady USA and 10 of the Remington USA made.

All 20 fired without a hitch , even 5 of the Russian that would not fire when I tired the first time.

So I guess maybe I will try and buy some more American made until it gets broken in a little more then switch back to the Berdan primed and try them again.

I'll have to give this some more thought, What American brands have you tried that shot well ? I could only find the Remington at the gun store and they were $14 a box of 20.
wchancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 19:19   #14
Full Member
Points: 18,539, Level: 86 Points: 18,539, Level: 86 Points: 18,539, Level: 86
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Last Achievements
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Desert SW
Posts: 229
My M30T failed to extract once with my reloads (using Speer .311 bullet) when it was new (maybe on the 2nd mag through it). I still only have maybe 150 rounds downrange, but have been very happy with the reliability so far, and accuracy using Fiocchi fmj, Winchester WB fmj, and my handloads (Win brass, 25.5gr A1680, Fed 210 primer, Sierra .311 Spitzers).

I agree with breaking yours in a bit...200 to 300 rounds...to ensure things are runnin' right, before making any conclusions.

M
m1key is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 20:17   #15
Full Member
Points: 9,778, Level: 66 Points: 9,778, Level: 66 Points: 9,778, Level: 66
Activity: 58.2% Activity: 58.2% Activity: 58.2%
Last Achievements
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Natagua
Posts: 2,887
Originally Posted by Marlin 45 carbine View Post
I have read good reports of the Wolf Military Classic (camo box) but have'nt tryed it.
I tryed 'silver bear' and it shot well but had some ftf w/it.
I've shot the Yugo brass-cased mil-surp (mildly corro primed) with good results, no ftf. of course a wash-down with windex or soapy water is needed after shooting this stuff but no real trouble. it's about the cheapest X39 available nowadays. I plan on getting more of it for 'plinking'.
Wolf Military Classic is too many FTF's for me. Yugo surplus and silver bear are the only "cheap" rnds that work in mine, but thats o.k. since it is still about 10c per rnd cheaper than bargain 5.56/.223.
40nascar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 20:50   #16
Full Member
Points: 1,400, Level: 20 Points: 1,400, Level: 20 Points: 1,400, Level: 20
Activity: 1.6% Activity: 1.6% Activity: 1.6%
Last Achievements
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 130
Originally Posted by wchancey View Post
Ok, so I went a picked up my Mini 30 today and was all excited.

I brought home open the box took out all the little bags , and the magazine was in three pieces , is it supposed to be that way ?

I put the magazine together and loaded 2 each of every brand of 7.62 that I have , I put the Hornady SST first because it was the only American made ammo that I had.

All of the cartridges failed to fire the were light strikes you could see that each one had been struck but not hard enough I guess.

When it got to the Hornady the USA made it fired but would not eject the spent shell casing like made it had expanded and got stuck.

So I took out the magazine and took out the last unfired Hornady.

I took all the Russian ammo that had dimpled and put it into the AK and shot it just to get rid of it.

I then boxed up the gun with the stuck casing and went back to the gun dealer and told him my problems.

But because it had fired once he said that it had to go back to Ruger. We put the gun in a vice and with a rod tapped out the stuck casing.

I decided to buy a box of Remington American made , to try and see what would happen , when I got home I first loaded 5 Tula , Russian made , 5 of the Hornady USA and 10 of the Remington USA made.

All 20 fired without a hitch , even 5 of the Russian that would not fire when I tired the first time.

So I guess maybe I will try and buy some more American made until it gets broken in a little more then switch back to the Berdan primed and try them again.

I'll have to give this some more thought, What American brands have you tried that shot well ? I could only find the Remington at the gun store and they were $14 a box of 20.
You did tear this new rifle down and give it a good scrubbing and then a good lube job, yes?
mseric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 07:51   #17
Full Member
Points: 18,795, Level: 86 Points: 18,795, Level: 86 Points: 18,795, Level: 86
Activity: 41.8% Activity: 41.8% Activity: 41.8%
Last Achievements
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: behind usmc w/size 14 boot in 'his' @ss
Posts: 4,939
ditto mseric
__________________
'the beatings will continue until morale improves'
Marlin 45 carbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 10:15   #18
Full Member
Points: 2,013, Level: 27 Points: 2,013, Level: 27 Points: 2,013, Level: 27
Activity: 1.0% Activity: 1.0% Activity: 1.0%
Last Achievements
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 34
Originally Posted by mseric View Post
You did tear this new rifle down and give it a good scrubbing and then a good lube job, yes?
Oh yes , the first thing I do with any new gun is tear it down. Clean and lube it while it is new and I want to see what is in there.

I want to know that when it is time to clean it with real gunk in it , I will know what I am doing before I start.

I have had the Mini Thirty for a couple of days now , and put quite a few loads out of it , I am learning what will and what won't shoot.

Took it it apart after every session , so that I could see what that brand of ammo is doing to it.

It will shoot Fiocchi , Tulammo , Remington , S & B , Hornady SST , Silver Bear and it won't shoot Golden Tiger , Wolf.

So it seems the more its shot the more brands it will shoot.

Its an alright gun but for the price I expected more , it just seems cheaply made , the slide handle sometimes will not close completely and has to be pushed home , maybe in time this will work its self out , I couldn't find a reason for it when I have had it apart.

I have a target set up 50 yards off my back deck but I am having a hard time hitting a small kill zone from there maybe It needs to be scoped and I have been shooting off hand.

But I can hit it every time with my SKS's and my AK's iron sights and they don't care what I feed them.

I will hang on to it for awhile and see if grows on me , if not maybe I'll check out the Mini 14 , I was just trying to stay with one less caliber.
wchancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
best 7.62x39, best ammo for mini-30, mini-30, ruger mini-30

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 15:15.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1
All information is copyright by Perfectunion.com unless already under copyright.

This site is Gunny Approved