Perfect Union banner
3K views 16 replies 12 participants last post by  tri70 
#1 ·
Well i was asked (nicely:lol:) by another member here to come and tell everyone how great my 581 Mini-30 is so.....

I bought my Mini this month last year and have put right around 1600 rounds through it, give or take a few boxes. A 120+ rounds a month or so. Not that that is a ton but it goes to the range once or twice a month and I either practice controlled rapid fire or shoot for group size. The rifle has so far been the picture of consistency grouping about the same now as it did new.... Or maybe its just that I'm not getting any better :lol: It will still put all 20 in under 3" and has a scoped small 3 shot group of .75". The norm is about 2-1/2 and 1-3/4" scoped. It does have an occasional flyer that is thrown several inches out of a grouping but I truly believe that it is me pulling the shots because of the heavy trigger with a small amount of creep. The trigger really needs to go out to Doc to get worked and after having it a year I feel this might be the number one thing someone can do to improve their Mini.....
In the past year I have always used Ruger 5rd or 20rd magazines and never anything else. The horrible aftermarket mags were the reason I sold my first Mini-30 so I have absolutely NO interest in tying them. I have two 5 rd mags and 10 20rd mags that I shoot. I shoot the 20rd mags for my rapid fire secessions and the 5rd mags for my accuracy secessions. They have been flawless so far as I have never encountered any type of FTF or FTE yet. As a matter of fact the carbine itself has been flawless in its working as there has been zero malfunctions or breakage and has been shot a max of 400rds or thereabouts without cleaning in one sitting and still had zero issues.
The rear sight was easy to sight in, though it is near the max windage adjustment to the left. And the rings mount easy and were tightened with only a quarter and stayed tight for several hundred rounds before I took the Leupold off to re-sight the the carbine's irons for the Winchester load.
The rifle, as stated when I got it, is very free of casting lines and its overall finish is as good as I would expect a rifle in this price point; no mars, blemishes, scratches and good deep stamping of logo and lettering. The fit is good but not great. The mechanical pieces are great but the stock to action fit leaves some to be desired.... A good bedding or aftermarket stock would be an improvement. I have a Circassian that I will fit and bed for it at some point.
Overall impression is very good! I think this is probably the funnest gun I have ever owned.... Maybe second to the 10/22 that was my first when I was a kid :D
This Mini-30 has shown to be very reliable (zero issues :usa:), easy to maintain (stainless, clean when you want :eek:), accurate for a carbine (its not a sniper rifle :sniper:), and just overall a ball at the range (fun, fun, fun :p).... When I hand it over for new people to shoot at the range they are ALWAYS pleased and have great things to say about it.
In the end it has surpassed my expectations and has left just a little to improve to make it fun to work with over time.... With the flexibility of the 7.62x39 round you have a carbine that works great as a defensive weapon, a SHTF weapon, and something you can grab a go deer hunting with. I highly recommend the Mini-30 for anyone looking for a tough, reliable, accurate, do-it-all carbine!

See less See more
#3 ·
Congrats on a positive evaluation. I feel the same about my Mini 14. As far as getting a trigger job from GunDoc,it was the best money I have spent to improve my Mini. Great trigger and fast turnaround. You will wonder why it was not done sooner :eek::eek:..........................Joe

#5 ·
40, I only shoot brass cased ammo.... I did just buy some silver bear for giggles but who knows if I'll ever shoot it? I've shot 85% Fiocchi, 10% MFS, and 5% Winchester or thereabouts.... I have had such good results with the Brass/Boxer stuff I'm willing to pay the extra $4 a box to get it!
I do here though that out of all the steel cased stuff the wolf is the worse to shoot as far as ftf go. If you want to stick with berdan primer ammo try yugo milsurp, silver bear, or MFS. I have read good reports from these three FWIW

#7 ·
Good report CZD! I been surprising people telling them to get the Mini-30 if they want the AFFORDABLE to shoot combo blasting and deer hunting rifle. A few went for that Corbon 150 Load for that 300 yard deer killing capacity.

I hope Ruger gets their QC in gear and make bad gun reports the exception and not the norm.

#12 ·
Good report CZD! I been surprising people telling them to get the Mini-30 if they want the AFFORDABLE to shoot combo blasting and deer hunting rifle. A few went for that Corbon 150 Load for that 300 yard deer killing capacity.

I hope Ruger gets their QC in gear and make bad gun reports the exception and not the norm.
I would venture to say that CZ's experience is probably the norm rather than the exception. Just a gut feeling after my short experience with the rifle this past year.

#11 ·
I have posted those groups here on this very board :wacko: If you lived in Colorado you would know it has either been snowing, raining, or blowing 40mph since the first of the year.... Don't really like sitting in the rain and snow to shoot holes in paper :lol:
Summer is almost here! Will be at the range a bunch again

Why! Cause this Mini-30 is one heck of a American made carbine and a ball of fun!

#16 ·
Knowing you CZ I bet that person that asked you for a report had to really twist your arm. :D I'm always happy to read your posts. I've had my new mini 30 since August of last year and haven't shot it yet. There are two reasons for this;

1. I'm stuck with 5 round mags for factory since I live in NY. I bought some blued 10 round promags, they work flawless in an older mini I tried it in but they won't latch in mine, (probably need the catch on the mag filed down as stated in another post on this site). I don't want to shoot it until I resolve this as I think the value will be higher if I decide to sell the mini.

2. K31 is an awesome milsurp rifle. I really enjoy shooting this but it's got some definite disadvantages as a SHTF/survival firearm.

Anyway, thanks again for the Mini30 good vibes. Believe me I want it to work out for me. The weight, balance, reliability are all where I need them to be if I have the same experience as you.

#17 ·
Good to hear the report CZ! I love to get out and shoot whenever I can, therapy after a hard week at work! I don't care much for the rain but I love to hunt in the snow or shoot snow zombies with the kids.:D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.