Ruger Mini-14 and Mini-30 Ruger Mini-14 and Mini-30 family of rifles

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2011, 00:15   #1
Full Member
Points: 3,500, Level: 36 Points: 3,500, Level: 36 Points: 3,500, Level: 36
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Last Achievements
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Oregon
Posts: 27
Accu-strut SOCOM review

I finally caught a break in the weather to get out to a landing and give the accu-strut a test run. Before I installed this, I had been having some serious stringing issues and the mini has been sitting in the safe for a couple years. It would hold tight the first 2 or 3 shots then start walking up the paper gradually about an inch per shot.

Well, happy to say, the accu-strut cured that problem. I didn't bring the camera out with me to photo each group but did get some pics when I got back.

My first 7 shots were all over the paper, like 6-8" anywhere from up to down, right and left. I thought I messed something up durring installation, then it settled in and held tight I guess. The accu-strut did change my POI about 2-2 1/2" high with 62g and 3-4" high with 55g and overall 1-1 1/2" right. The 62g stayed a little closer to center where as the 55g was high and right.

I was hoping that the strut would've acted as a better heat sink. The barrel heated right up as normal but the heat seamed to stop dissapating mid clamp. Top of the clamp, hot as the barrel. Bottom of the clamp, COLD. not even a luke warm feeling.

Thats the only thing I have to bitch about so this review doesn't look like a complete suckfest.

Overall cosmetics, fit, and function are EXCELLENT. Great product Kevin. You've restored my confidence in this rifle. Only thing left to do is re-zero it.

Iron sights, approx. 100 yards paced off and close to dusk.

(The first groups are covered up, I let the rifle sit for about 20mins to cool to make sure it didn't start throwing them all over the paper again. 62g & 55g)

0



boomer03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 06:22   #2
Full Member
Points: 6,142, Level: 50 Points: 6,142, Level: 50 Points: 6,142, Level: 50
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Last Achievements
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: .
Posts: 211
I keep hearing nothing but good things about the Accu-strut and would get one for my ATI folding stock mini but there site has never really said if it would do any good for the new guns, any one out there put one on a new ATI folder?
WES213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 13:19   #3
Super Member
Points: 24,704, Level: 95 Points: 24,704, Level: 95 Points: 24,704, Level: 95
Activity: 3.6% Activity: 3.6% Activity: 3.6%
Last Achievements
 
kkina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 1,788
Hey, glad to hear this! As most of you know the testing of the Socom was suspended due to health problems, so until we can do formal testing these range reports are essential.

There are results for the 2-clamp strut on the website, including the newer tapered barrels (improvement is anywere from 0-33% on these thicker barrles.) A couple customers have reported higher figures.

Again, we still need to test the Socom especially on the short, tapered tactical barrel. Hopefully this year.
__________________
CEO NEST Engineering
MINI-14 SHOOTING CHAMP
2003: Iron Class: Dec and 3rd Overall
2004: Iron Class: Series 1; Scope Class: Series 1

www.accu-strut.com
kkina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 15:08   #4
disappointed member
Points: 80,454, Level: 100 Points: 80,454, Level: 100 Points: 80,454, Level: 100
Activity: 2.7% Activity: 2.7% Activity: 2.7%
Last Achievements
 
hawkguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 733
Originally Posted by boomer03 View Post
I finally caught a break in the weather to get out to a landing and give the accu-strut a test run. Before I installed this, I had been having some serious stringing issues and the mini has been sitting in the safe for a couple years. It would hold tight the first 2 or 3 shots then start walking up the paper gradually about an inch per shot.

Well, happy to say, the accu-strut cured that problem. I didn't bring the camera out with me to photo each group but did get some pics when I got back.

My first 7 shots were all over the paper, like 6-8" anywhere from up to down, right and left. I thought I messed something up durring installation, then it settled in and held tight I guess. The accu-strut did change my POI about 2-2 1/2" high with 62g and 3-4" high with 55g and overall 1-1 1/2" right. The 62g stayed a little closer to center where as the 55g was high and right.

I was hoping that the strut would've acted as a better heat sink. The barrel heated right up as normal but the heat seamed to stop dissapating mid clamp. Top of the clamp, hot as the barrel. Bottom of the clamp, COLD. not even a luke warm feeling.

Thats the only thing I have to bitch about so this review doesn't look like a complete suckfest.

Overall cosmetics, fit, and function are EXCELLENT. Great product Kevin. You've restored my confidence in this rifle. Only thing left to do is re-zero it.

Iron sights, approx. 100 yards paced off and close to dusk.

(The first groups are covered up, I let the rifle sit for about 20mins to cool to make sure it didn't start throwing them all over the paper again. 62g & 55g)

0



the accu-strut is a great product.

the only part i'll slightly disagree on, is that i think my accu-strut (LT 2 clamp), seems to cool the barrel significantly. now that is not a scientific claim, but i swear before i installed it, you wouldn't think about touching that barrel after 30-40 rounds (did it once on accident & got a pretty nice wake up call). after i installed the strut, it is still warm, but not boiling hot. i can touch it without harm.

just my experience with it.
hawkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 16:45   #5
Super Member
Points: 24,704, Level: 95 Points: 24,704, Level: 95 Points: 24,704, Level: 95
Activity: 3.6% Activity: 3.6% Activity: 3.6%
Last Achievements
 
kkina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 1,788
Originally Posted by hawkguy View Post
the accu-strut is a great product.

the only part i'll slightly disagree on, is that i think my accu-strut (LT 2 clamp), seems to cool the barrel significantly. now that is not a scientific claim, but i swear before i installed it, you wouldn't think about touching that barrel after 30-40 rounds (did it once on accident & got a pretty nice wake up call). after i installed the strut, it is still warm, but not boiling hot. i can touch it without harm.

just my experience with it.
This is probably the effect of having 2 clamps rather than just one as in the Socom.
__________________
CEO NEST Engineering
MINI-14 SHOOTING CHAMP
2003: Iron Class: Dec and 3rd Overall
2004: Iron Class: Series 1; Scope Class: Series 1

www.accu-strut.com
kkina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 16:58   #6
communism hater
Points: 10,778, Level: 68 Points: 10,778, Level: 68 Points: 10,778, Level: 68
Activity: 13.6% Activity: 13.6% Activity: 13.6%
Last Achievements
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 3,536
The accustrut added to my 580 series thin barrel mini made a huge diffrence. By far the best thing you can do to obtain and keep accuracy. My best group so far with my mini with strut is 1.2''@100yrds with 60gr. sierra varmiter handloads.
__________________
United We Stand.. Divided We Fall.. Into the pits of socialism
qwman68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 18:00   #7
Full Member
Points: 3,500, Level: 36 Points: 3,500, Level: 36 Points: 3,500, Level: 36
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Last Achievements
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Oregon
Posts: 27
Originally Posted by kkina View Post
This is probably the effect of having 2 clamps rather than just one as in the Socom.
More than likely so. And I'm not saying there was no heat transfer at all. I just assumed the strut would be a little warmer around the clamp area instead of cold for as hot as the barrel was.
boomer03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 18:10   #8
Full Member
Points: 6,142, Level: 50 Points: 6,142, Level: 50 Points: 6,142, Level: 50
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Last Achievements
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: .
Posts: 211
Originally Posted by kkina View Post
Hey, glad to hear this! As most of you know the testing of the Socom was suspended due to health problems, so until we can do formal testing these range reports are essential.

There are results for the 2-clamp strut on the website, including the newer tapered barrels (improvement is anywere from 0-33% on these thicker barrles.) A couple customers have reported higher figures.

Again, we still need to test the Socom especially on the short, tapered tactical barrel. Hopefully this year.
You want to send one my way i can give you all the feed back and target pics you want.

Here is 100 yards with out the strut and a red dot glass lens sight.

The hole on the bottom left and right are from my friends AR, lets just say its new and he needs to work on his sights a bit.

The 2 bulls eyes are when i saw that i was hitting a bit right and adjusted for it.

If the strut will improve that i will put down the cash ASAP but i just cant see it happening.
Attached Thumbnails
Accu-strut SOCOM review-dscn0275.jpg  

Last edited by WES213; 04-14-2011 at 18:28.
WES213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 18:21   #9
Full Member
Points: 3,547, Level: 37 Points: 3,547, Level: 37 Points: 3,547, Level: 37
Activity: 1.5% Activity: 1.5% Activity: 1.5%
Last Achievements
 
ctyankee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Naugatuck Valley, CT
Posts: 129
Boomer, thanks for posting your review. When you mounted your strut did you drill dimples on the gas block for the set screws?
__________________
*This post is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.
ctyankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 19:43   #10
Full Member
Points: 3,500, Level: 36 Points: 3,500, Level: 36 Points: 3,500, Level: 36
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Last Achievements
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Oregon
Posts: 27
Originally Posted by ctyankee View Post
Boomer, thanks for posting your review. When you mounted your strut did you drill dimples on the gas block for the set screws?
Yes.

And when the weather clears up around here, I'll get a more accurate review with pics of actual groups instead of multiple groups.
boomer03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 13:43   #11
Super Member
Points: 24,704, Level: 95 Points: 24,704, Level: 95 Points: 24,704, Level: 95
Activity: 3.6% Activity: 3.6% Activity: 3.6%
Last Achievements
 
kkina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 1,788
I actually have been open to sending test units out to forum members. It was somewhat tricky getting the last one out, and once this person got the unit, last time I heard from him, and he hasn't posted in this forum since. Not accusing anyone of anything, and things do happen to people, but it tends to discourage this kind of arrangement. Unfortuantely this wasn't the first time something like this has happened. While it is very important to get the test data for you guys honestly wanting performance data before making a purchase, and my ongoing health problems have severely limited my own testing capability, it is hard to rely on this arrangement. Conversely, though, there have been a couple members who did provide test results as promised, and I thank them very much for doing so.
__________________
CEO NEST Engineering
MINI-14 SHOOTING CHAMP
2003: Iron Class: Dec and 3rd Overall
2004: Iron Class: Series 1; Scope Class: Series 1

www.accu-strut.com
kkina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 14:32   #12
Full Member
Points: 6,142, Level: 50 Points: 6,142, Level: 50 Points: 6,142, Level: 50
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Last Achievements
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: .
Posts: 211
Originally Posted by kkina View Post
I actually have been open to sending test units out to forum members. It was somewhat tricky getting the last one out, and once this person got the unit, last time I heard from him, and he hasn't posted in this forum since. Not accusing anyone of anything, and things do happen to people, but it tends to discourage this kind of arrangement. Unfortuantely this wasn't the first time something like this has happened. While it is very important to get the test data for you guys honestly wanting performance data before making a purchase, and my ongoing health problems have severely limited my own testing capability, it is hard to rely on this arrangement. Conversely, though, there have been a couple members who did provide test results as promised, and I thank them very much for doing so.
Ain't that typical, a hand full decide to **** in the community water hole and now no one drinks.

I am sorry to hear about your health and to hear about you getting screwed over on an arrangement gone bad, i had posted that as a joke but should you ever need a tester just let me know or once i get my AR 10 paid off and i find the extra cash i will pick up a socom and post my results for you to use.

Might be some time before i can buy one as the armalite ar 10 i want is all match parts and i still have 95% of the uppers to buy and install.
WES213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:18.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1
All information is copyright by Perfectunion.com unless already under copyright.

This site is Gunny Approved