Perfect Union banner
4K views 15 replies 14 participants last post by  litefoot 
#1 ·
Hi everyone and thanks in advance for any help or advice!

My blue/wood stock 581 series is currently set up with a 9-13" swivel mount bipod on a screw in stud on the forearm, Winchester quick adjust sling on Uncle Mikes swivels, and a Simmons Pro-Diamond 4x32 optic.

Frankly, the scope leaves me a little cold after putting some trigger time on the system; seems to be a little blurry around the edges, and the "diamond" reticle doesn't do much for me.

So, under $200USD, can you recommend a good scope? Ideally it would be as close to a "bulletproof" combat optic as possible on the budget. Right now my main candidate is the Weaver K6 - I used to have one of the original steel tubed ones back in the day and it held up to a LOT of '06 discharges before I had to sell it and the rifle it was on to make ends meet...

Thanks again and all the best,
Grumpy

#7 ·
I just bought a 2x7 nikon pro staff from Cabelas for around $94.00 and shipping. Its more of a shotgun muzzleloader app. because the parallax is set at around 70 yards. A friend put one on his AR flattop and is real happy with it. So I think it would work good on the mini also. Nice glass for the money.

#8 ·
Hi everyone and thanks in advance for any help or advice!

My blue/wood stock 581 series is currently set up with a 9-13" swivel mount bipod on a screw in stud on the forearm, Winchester quick adjust sling on Uncle Mikes swivels, and a Simmons Pro-Diamond 4x32 optic.

Frankly, the scope leaves me a little cold after putting some trigger time on the system; seems to be a little blurry around the edges, and the "diamond" reticle doesn't do much for me.

So, under $200USD, can you recommend a good scope? Ideally it would be as close to a "bulletproof" combat optic as possible on the budget. Right now my main candidate is the Weaver K6 - I used to have one of the original steel tubed ones back in the day and it held up to a LOT of '06 discharges before I had to sell it and the rifle it was on to make ends meet...

Grumpy
1-4x millet DMS-1

the dot in a doughnut reticle is pretty good for both rough instinctive combat shooting, and precision shooting.
at 1x it works as a red dot scope, at 4x it'll give you that sight picture you need out to 200 yards.

#9 · (Edited)
Thanks guys -

Lots to think about here.

My next build will be a folder, and the Millet looks like a winner there for CQB applications. I considered a red dot, but the Millet definitely looks like a better all rounder. That will be down the road a ways - too much $$ going into these right now to pick up another mini for a while....

This build is a "sporting"/"low profile survival" configuration though and I'm torn between the Weaver (past good experience), a Redfield 3-9x40 (super clear optics in the one I saw at the local Academy), and the Burris. Never had a Burris scope, but there are plenty of A+ reviews of them online.
Arrgh! And now after a lot of online reading, I am really torn! Spent some time at the range with the fixed 4x doing sight acquisitions (bring to shoulder with both eyes open, QUICKLY line up on target and 'bang') and I am WAY too slow for emergency CQB on that optic. So maybe the 1-4x really is the best solution, even if the rifle is supposed to be an all round hunter/survival piece. Or do I just need a lot more practice at this style of shooting?

On a tight budget, how would a Bushnell Banner 1-4x32 shotgun scope do? I originally picked up the diamond scope with a feeling that the diamond pattern would help fast sight acquisition w/o batteries but want to try a "circle in cross hair" pattern next. Is the 50 yd parallax setting going to present a practical problem to say 200 yds?

Grumpy

#10 ·
How about a Redfield 2-7X32 if you want to keep it to a lower magnification, also it can sit closer to the barrel for a lower profile and a bit over an inch shorter then the 3-9X40 Redfield. I have a 2-7X32 Redfield on mine and have been incredibly happy with it. IMO they are a great scope adjustments seem to be accurate, clear optics in all conditions, good eye relief, holds zero after bouncing around in the pickup. I'm so happy with it I just sold my 4.5-14X40 Nikon Coyote off my .223 bolt and a Simmons 4-12X40 off my .17HMR and replacing both with Redfield 4-12X40.

#16 ·
How about a Redfield 2-7X32 if you want to keep it to a lower magnification, also it can sit closer to the barrel for a lower profile and a bit over an inch shorter then the 3-9X40 Redfield. I have a 2-7X32 Redfield on mine and have been incredibly happy with it. IMO they are a great scope adjustments seem to be accurate, clear optics in all conditions, good eye relief, holds zero after bouncing around in the pickup. I'm so happy with it I just sold my 4.5-14X40 Nikon Coyote off my .223 bolt and a Simmons 4-12X40 off my .17HMR and replacing both with Redfield 4-12X40.
I agree. Great scope, especially in low light. Right size, right price. Only other I can recommend is the Weaver V3.

#11 ·
Check this article out. I asked the same question a few months ago and ended up with a Bushnell Elite 3200 3-9X40 I luckily found for $130. I would recommend any of these depending on your budget because you really get what you pay for when it comes to optics. This guy does a great write up/field test using a Vortex Diamondback 3-9x40, Burris Fullfield II 3-9x40, Redfield Revolution 3-9x40, Bushnell Elite 3-9x40, and a Nikon ProStaff 3-9x40. He provides some good comparison and has a background in photography so he gets in depth about the resolution and image of each. His final verdict was actually the Vortex above all (the most expensive), then the Burris in second, and the Bushnell in third. This should eliminate any trial and error involved in buying several scopes. Hope it helps.

#13 ·
Thanks again guys;

Dropped by Academy and checked out their selection of scopes - they have a nice Redfield Revolution 3-9x40 in for about $160. Very bright image, much cleaner than the Simmons Prodiamond shotgun scope I am using now.

Just have to put together the $$ and do a little more agonizing - a 2-7x32 Redfield might be a nice compromise. Also need to put in some more trigger time to see if I can speed things up a bit at 4x in CQB drills, or find out if that's a lost cause.

All the best,
Grumpy

#15 ·
ill chime in a few years back i bought one of the first amega rails and bought a cheap scout scope now dont laugh its an nc star 2+7+32 to see how the scout set up would feel. I never looked back countless coyotes and thousands of rounds its still working its been droped beat up and still holds zero best 70 bucks i spent.not sure about the rest of there scopes but the pistol scope works and did not break the bank.a couple of my friends also bought the same and theres been no issues with any of them.F.Y I.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.